The best chicken wing in NY is at...

Just Jack

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy a bag of raw, frozen wings at a grocery store or Walmart...Tyson or Townshend, 5 lb. bag.

Fry Daddy...put 8-10 in for about 12 minutes...mix Franks hot sauce, a bit of margerine and some Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce...mix till there's a good tang with a hint of the Jack Daniel's to take a slight edge off the Franks...Marie's Blue Cheese..............heaven.

<_<:worthy:

Most of what he says about wings, is true...crispy, not greasy or "overly" sauced (but fully sauced) is important. The confusion here (in the article itself), is that the blue cheese is for the wing. IMO, it is only for the celery. The wing, should be eaten, slightly hotter than you can stand, without blue cheese. So, no Grady's for me.

:worthy:<_<

Even for wings you're the one Dean!!

Blue cheese is for the Celery!!

Best wings ever. Go to Wegmans and buy the frozen wings. Put them in the microwave for like four minutes. Take them out, shake them up and back in for 3 minutes, take them out and pour Frank's hot sauce all over them and put them back in for another 3 to 4 minutes. Take out, let cool and then pour blue cheese dressing all over them. It's like a chicken wing soup, and absolutley fabulous! :worthy:

<_< You were TRYING to make us puke, right?

buy a bag of raw, frozen wings at a grocery store or Walmart...Tyson or Townshend, 5 lb. bag.

Fry Daddy...put 8-10 in for about 12 minutes...mix Franks hot sauce, a bit of margerine and some Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce...mix till there's a good tang with a hint of the Jack Daniel's to take a slight edge off the Franks...Marie's Blue Cheese..............heaven.

Better than Molson's recipe, that's for sure. But, these wouldn't be hot enough for my niece's 10-year old boys. You are taking edge OFF of Franks? You need to add hot TO Franks, to have any real impact, IMO...but. that's me. I like em hot.

I may be the only person that isn't crazy about Marie's, too. But, as they are only for the garnish, I can deal with it.

If you want to avoid the smell of hot oil and the mess, that baked wing recipe on the side of the Frank's bottle makes acceptable wings.

No flamethrowing please, folks - I know fried is better.

Cut 'em up, pat them dry. Put them on a raised wire rack above a lipped baking sheet.

Tips:

- do not brush them with oil, thinking that they will crisp up. Added oil insures sogginess.

- do not move them up to the broiler at the end of the bake time, thinking you will get extra crispness. They will char in an instant.

- when they are turned over midway during the bake, I like to give 'em a very light brushing with Frank's.

- feel free to extend bake time if you like.

I put some Frank's, tobasco, paprika, ground pepper, dried parsley flake, a touch of salt, and some margarine in a stainless steel bowl I have, with a plastic snap-on lid. I set it on the oven top 15 minutes or so, to heat it and melt the margarine.

You can make them as hot as you like...items like these are available most everywhere.

http://www.junglejims.com/attractions/jung...s_hot_sauce.asp

As a matter of fact yes, it's a gay bar. DaGimp has been seen riding the "mechanical bull" behind the bar.

How did u know? Yes, I lather myself with butter and Raspberry Barbecue sauce and then saddle up. It's Brokeback night out

How did u know? Yes, I lather myself with butter and Raspberry Barbecue sauce and then saddle up. It's Brokeback night out

Haha that's great. So Heath Ledger really died from sucking up too much "butter" off the bathroom floor?

If you want to avoid the smell of hot oil and the mess, that baked wing recipe on the side of the Frank's bottle makes acceptable wings.

No flamethrowing please, folks - I know fried is better.

Frankly (pun intended), I think baked come out just fine. I do them similar to you, though I do baste with a little butter at the start. I cook them at least an hour.

My little hitch is to throw them back in the oven for ten minutes after I've done the full coating of Franks. They come out great; people were impressed last years during the SB.

Frankly (pun intended), I think baked come out just fine. I do them similar to you, though I do baste with a little butter at the start. I cook them at least an hour.

My little hitch is to throw them back in the oven for ten minutes after I've done the full coating of Franks. They come out great; people were impressed last years during the SB.

Good to hear you've tried the baked method. Wings shouldn't be thought of as snobby cuisine - a bit of crispness, a slather of lip-buzzing sauce - that's it.

I think many wings are consumed by folks in fine form, at least half in the bag, or heading that way.

Forget eclectic cheeses, fancy wines or beers or liquor...when one hankers for wings, one is on the hunt for heat, salt, and grease, and when out with one's pals, or them at one's home...camaraderie. :wub:

:D

I may be the only person that isn't crazy about Marie's, too. But, as they are only for the garnish, I can deal with it.

Count me in on not liking Marie's either (too rich). Anyone in WNY should be buying Rootie's (sold right next to Marie's at Tops, Wegmans, etc.) It's the closest to the real deal for those that don't want to buy a gallon of Ken's at Sysco or Latinas.

And WTF is it with local joints serving their wings with prepackaged bleu cheese? That stuff sucks!

Just as bad is places that take decent BC and cut it with milk or mayo or some such to save a few pennies.

Count me in on not liking Marie's either (too rich). Anyone in WNY should be buying Rootie's (sold right next to Marie's at Tops, Wegmans, etc.) It's the closest to the real deal for those that don't want to buy a gallon of Ken's at Sysco or Latinas.

And WTF is it with local joints serving their wings with prepackaged bleu cheese? That stuff sucks!

Just as bad is places that take decent BC and cut it with milk or mayo or some such to save a few pennies.

Back in the day (when Rootie owned and ran the place), Rooties always was in contention for best wings in WNY.

When I make wings, I find a decent blue cheese dressing, and add crumbled blue cheese to it. What I don't like about Maries is, the dressing itself is rather tasteless. If I made wings more often, I would get that big bottle of Ken's.

Mammoser's Tavern & Restaurant in Hamburg has the best wings. Man, I wish I had some right now!! :wub:

Mammosers and BarBil are two places that have great reps, that I have never tried.

Back in the day (when Rootie owned and ran the place), Rooties always was in contention for best wings in WNY.

When I make wings, I find a decent blue cheese dressing, and add crumbled blue cheese to it. What I don't like about Maries is, the dressing itself is rather tasteless. If I made wings more often, I would get that big bottle of Ken's.

Did someone else own it after Rootie? I was there a few times, and right before they closed the guy behind the bar seemed nervous and had a post-nasal drip problem. :wub:

Another great one for wings (long gone) was the Woodshed in NT. Sunday night special - pitcher of Molson + 20 wings for $4.28.

Too bad you don't live up here, I'd split that gallon of Kens with you!

Did someone else own it after Rootie? I was there a few times, and right before they closed the guy behind the bar seemed nervous and had a post-nasal drip problem. :wub:

Another great one for wings (long gone) was the Woodshed in NT. Sunday night special - pitcher of Molson + 20 wings for $4.28.

Too bad you don't live up here, I'd split that gallon of Kens with you!

When I temporarily relocated back to WNY several years ago, Rooties was still open, but Rootie was nowhere in sight. I was told he lived in Florida, or something, The wings were OK...but nowhere near what they were back in the 70's/80's.

Then, one day I was in the neighborhood, and stopped in mid-day, and they were out of business.

Mammosers and BarBil are two places that have great reps, that I have never tried.

Barbills is the best I have ever had. Never been to Mammosers. Barbills suicide are so hot you would have trouble eating them.

Barbills is the best I have ever had. Never been to Mammosers. Barbills suicide are so hot you would have trouble eating them.

Mammoser's does not serve their Suicdal sauce any more after a guy drank some at the bar. It seemes he had trouble breathing after words. There was a police/EMT report.....

I live for wings that are too hot for me to eat, as long as they still have some traditional wing flavor. I particularly like when wings are so hot that I get the hiccups and hallucinate, a little.

I live for wings that are too hot for me to eat, as long as they still have some traditional wing flavor. I particularly like when wings are so hot that I get the hiccups and hallucinate, a little.

If your ever up here again you definately got to stop in at barbills. It is in East Aurora right off of route 20. Really easy to get to. Take the 400 get off at the east aurora exit & make a right. It is about 3-4 miles down the road.

Hammer, that is some funny stuff about the guy drinking the hot sauce. Man, what was he thinking?

If your ever up here again you definately got to stop in at barbills. It is in East Aurora right off of route 20. Really easy to get to. Take the 400 get off at the east aurora exit & make a right. It is about 3-4 miles down the road.

Hammer, that is some funny stuff about the guy drinking the hot sauce. Man, what was he thinking?

Gord, the suicidal at Bar Bill are hotter than those at Duff's, right?

He was thinking about $100 bet.

Gord, the suicidal at Bar Bill are hotter than those at Duff's, right?

Oh yeah, I could not even eat one of them @ Bbills. As soon as it hit my mouth I had to take a glass of water. Duffs, the suicidal I could eat at least 5 or 6 before I can not take it anymore. I should note though I am really not the expert on hot wings. I am more of a medium wing guy. BBills are definately hotter though & they are better also. More crispy.

Oh yeah, I could not even eat one of them @ Bbills. As soon as it hit my mouth I had to take a glass of water. Duffs, the suicidal I could eat at least 5 or 6 before I can not take it anymore. I should note though I am really not the expert on hot wings. I am more of a medium wing guy. BBills are definately hotter though & they are better also. More crispy.

That sounds perfect. I have no problem with the suicidal at Duffs, but I think they have a very good tasting sauce. (Most suicidal sauces suck, I find.) Duff's problem is they over-sauce their wings. I always ask that they use a little less sauce, than usual.

I didn't pull the trigger on wings, the other day. (I did find a very nice slice, at a new place, though.) Today just might be wing day.

Best wings: Gandy's in Cheektowaga :unsure:

Grovers in East Amherst :P

Pizza Junction in N.T :lol: .

Casa Di Pizza Downtown :thumbsup:

While Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar has fallen under new ownership they should get the honorable mention anyway :unsure: . And yes, crispy, as hot as you can stand ( or bbq) and dunked in the best blue cheese you can find. Blue cheese just for the celery...COME ON! :wallbash:

I do hear good things about the Barbill. Wings and also Beef on weck.

Most of what he says about wings, is true...crispy, not greasy or "overly" sauced (but fully sauced) is important. The confusion here (in the article itself), is that the blue cheese is for the wing. IMO, it is only for the celery. The wing, should be eaten, slightly hotter than you can stand, without blue cheese. So, no Grady's for me.

and the celery must be in water for at least an hour for full crispness

Best wings: Gandy's in Cheektowaga :sick:

Grovers in East Amherst :sick:

Pizza Junction in N.T :lol: .

Casa Di Pizza Downtown ;)

While Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar has fallen under new ownership they should get the honorable mention anyway :thumbsup: . And yes, crispy, as hot as you can stand ( or bbq) and dunked in the best blue cheese you can find. Blue cheese just for the celery...COME ON! ;)

I used to work at Pizza Junction, good wings but definitely not worth the price nowadays.

:censored::wallbash:

Even for wings you're the one Dean!!

Blue cheese is for the Celery!!

I know, I know... But I like it on the wing... Not that I can't stand the heat... Diary/milk products do cut done on the heat and go nicely with the hot sauce... Every couple of wings in bleu can really keep the "pace" going with regards to the heat... Really.

I know this will sound crazy... I often mix Franks with bleu cheese...

Oh, also... I like to mix NE clam chowder and Manhatten clam chowder together...

Must be the crazy BFLO in me... No pickle juice though! :angry:

Also, I was going to make a sexist comment about this wing place being in Seneca Falls... But, I probably shouldn't...

:doh:

Never understood the love for Duff's. I try to like them, but just can't. Last time I was there they were swimming in a pool of not so great sauce. :doh:

Just ask for less sauce. Or sauce on the side. Aside from that, they're awesome. And the sauce is great for dipping the fries in. Yummm..... I'm hungry now.