This Dude Gets a Free Pass, Why?

jbird78

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Defense has been protected during the "slide" because no offense has really had to score. Especially the last two weeks, but they couldn't get off the field against the Jete, Pats, Browns, and the Cardinals.

Do you really think offenses of other teams aren't trying to score just because they are playing Buffalo? Bull! The defense has played better, not great, but better. They have kept us in the game but only if the offense could score. My only criticism is that the defense could have more pass rush. Still not enough pressure on opposing quarterbacks for the most part.

My only criticism is that the defense could have more pass rush. Still not enough pressure on opposing quarterbacks for the most part.

I agree. My opinion is this D plays well despite not having a pass rush (definately because of it). Does that mean Poz is even better than we think? To me it does mean we have an amazing secondary.

WTF do the other teams in the AFC East defenses have to do with the Bills defense? My point is that the Bills defense is not as "great" as the numbers may indicate.

Let me put it another way. Do you think the other AFC East teams have better defenses than the Bills do?

Do any of you guys know what the MLB's job is in the Tampa 2 defense? They are more of a support system then a playmaker with a particular focus. Their main duty is to support the run, cover vacant blitzing olb spots and to drop back in coverage. In our case Mitchell is our main blitzing LB and Ellison, being the smallest and the weakest of the three needs support in all area's. That being said, with the lack of pass rush that our 2 DE generate Poz is left with a lot of responsibility. That would be why he leads our team in tackles but it would also be why he isn't tearing up the field as a free roaming playmaker like an Urlacher......

I hate to point this out but......Urlacher played(still plays?) in a predominantly T2 D.

Blah Blah Blah, everyone complained about how slow London Fletcher was and what a bad player,same crap different player.

Some Bills fans couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Well the redskins are happy to have him, He is the anchor of their D and doing very well.Just keep complaining about a players first full season at his position.

I know Donte Whitner sucks also,so slow,to far back in coverage. Lets not forget all the complaining about Leodis McKelvin... right up until the time he started making big plays. Lets not forget to bash Lynch some either,just because he is in a system that ignores his talent and throws the ball most of the time... its still his fault.

I'll give you a hint. He's white. There're a lot of people on this board that get all giddy when there's a white player. (See the reactions to Brian Leonard prior to the 2007 draft if you need an example.) Plus he's a high character guy and a Penn State guy. That's a lethal combination around here.

I actually agree with this post to a certain extent. Seeing Denney, Kelsay, and K. Williams all lined up during the same play the other day made me sick to my stomach. Add in Schobel, and i'm fairly certain (w/o doing a search), that the Bills have the most white players on any D-line in the NFL. "High motor" and "high character" perhaps, but "low production" and "lack of talent" indeed.

Then again, someone could turn it around and say "what about a D-line that's all black." Knife cuts both ways, but with the Bills, I think there seems to be an emphasis on "high character" which apparently is translating at OBD to an overabundance of weak, less talented players on this team..that happen to be white.

I'll give you a hint. He's white. There're a lot of people on this board that get all giddy when there's a white player. (See the reactions to Brian Leonard prior to the 2007 draft if you need an example.) Plus he's a high character guy and a Penn State guy. That's a lethal combination around here.

This is a funny post. I don't think there is anything people complain about more than our terrible D-Line. It's been a complaint for years. Just about everyone seems to agree getting a top flight "athletic" DE is a really big need for this team.

Are you for real? Are you trying to claim that opposing offenses haven't been trying to score because they know the Bills' offense can't score points? :wallbash:

As for the games you mentioned, outside of the Cardinals game, the offense was bad, putting the defense in bad spots and leaving them out on the field. Not to mention any semblance of a pass rush left when Schobel got injured.

I'm not saying that offenses don't try to score but they certainly tone down the play book, control the ball and the clock, and with a ten point lead take the foot off the gas hence the score somewhere in the teens or low twenties. For example the Patriots could have beat us by forty at their place but they toned it down, ran the ball on third down, the Bills got a late TD for a final of 20-10. Looks like the defense did their job, right? But anyone who watched that game knows that the Patriots O owned the Bills D. The offense sucking is the Headline but the D is still not good.

I for one am willing to give him a pass this season, don't forget that he missed almost all of last season due to injury. Which essentially makes him a rookie this year! :wallbash:

If there is one position in the NFL where a rookie can make the most impact its Linebacker. Urlacher, Merriman, and Willis were all studs as rookies. If he were a Quarterback, recceiver, or cornerback maybe, but linebackers should be Plug and Play. He's not gonna get any taller or faster each Play should be here's your job go do it. Maybe make a pick, force a fumble.

I'm not saying that offenses don't try to score but they certainly tone down the play book, control the ball and the clock, and with a ten point lead take the foot off the gas hence the score somewhere in the teens or low twenties. For example the Patriots could have beat us by forty at their place but they toned it down, ran the ball on third down, the Bills got a late TD for a final of 20-10. Looks like the defense did their job, right? But anyone who watched that game knows that the Patriots O owned the Bills D. The offense sucking is the Headline but the D is still not good.

Sorry but the Patriots didn't tone down anything. They scored a TD with 2 minutes left in the game and winning 13-3. And they score 10 points in the first half, which works-out to what they ended-up with, i.e. 20 points.

Sorry but the Patriots didn't tone down anything. They scored a TD with 2 minutes left in the game and winning 13-3. And they score 10 points in the first half, which works-out to what they ended-up with, i.e. 20 points.

That drive took 19 plays the Pats and was not a result of our stopping them, they were running dives gashing us for 3 or 4 yards lining up and doing it again, then a check down our a slant for an easy first down. they were toying with the D like a cat with a mouse. The bills only forced the Pats to punt twice and they gave up 4.75 yards per play. This is not a talented team defensively. Lets also go back to my first point, in a game where the pats ran 43 running plays I think you would be hard pressed to find another MLB in the NFL who would only have 6 tot TKL.

That drive took 19 plays the Pats and was not a result of our stopping them, they were running dives gashing us for 3 or 4 yards lining up and doing it again, then a check down our a slant for an easy first down. they were toying with the D like a cat with a mouse. The bills only forced the Pats to punt twice and they gave up 4.75 yards per play. This is not a talented team defensively. Lets also go back to my first point, in a game where the pats ran 43 running plays I think you would be hard pressed to find another MLB in the NFL who would only have 6 tot TKL.

Yes, again that was on the Pats' last real possession of the game. They knew they had a 13-3 lead and that the Bills' offense wasn't going to mount any sort of comeback, not to mention they knew the defense was tired, so they ran plays to eat up the clock and they ultimately scored a TD with 2 minutes remaining. Again the previous 3 quarters, they had 13 whole points to show for themselves. Are you saying they toyed with the Bills all game long, expecting them to score just 3 points?

Yes, again that was on the Pats' last real possession of the game. They knew they had a 13-3 lead and that the Bills' offense wasn't going to mount any sort of comeback, not to mention they knew the defense was tired, so they ran plays to eat up the clock and they ultimately scored a TD with 2 minutes remaining. Again the previous 3 quarters, they had 13 whole points to show for themselves. Are you saying they toyed with the Bills all game long, expecting them to score just 3 points?

Our offense is worse, but our defense is not good. Not every team in the world is going to run up the score in a game just to prove a point, Oklahoma style. This game was never in doubt for the Pats. It was basically a bye week. Be honest did you ever think that the Bills were going to win that game? Seriously.

I actually agree with this post to a certain extent. Seeing Denney, Kelsay, and K. Williams all lined up during the same play the other day made me sick to my stomach. Add in Schobel, and i'm fairly certain (w/o doing a search), that the Bills have the most white players on any D-line in the NFL. "High motor" and "high character" perhaps, but "low production" and "lack of talent" indeed.

Then again, someone could turn it around and say "what about a D-line that's all black." Knife cuts both ways, but with the Bills, I think there seems to be an emphasis on "high character" which apparently is translating at OBD to an overabundance of weak, less talented players on this team..that happen to be white.

Add that to the Falcons of a few years ago. Brady Smith, Patrick Kerney, Shane Dronett and Travis Hall.