Riddle ME this...What do these have in common?

Poeticlaw

You're a dick. Flutie's the last QB to get us to the playoffs, and he didn't even have the chance to win us the Superbowl, yet you rag on him. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm not a dick. I am a cynic. The dick is the HC of the Bills.

I already agreed Flutie got screwed.

I also like how everybody automatically assumes if Flutie played that game, the Bills were playing in the SB.

I 'rag' on Flutie for a number of reasons.

*I hate to break it you, Flutie wasn't a great QB.

*Flutie was so self centered, he had no problem causing a division in the locker room if it meant he got to play.

*I forgot. He also had no problem throwing teammates under the bus to escape criticism.

Edited by Cynical

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman and Trend Edwards?

My answer: They all started with great confidence in Buffalo and all ended playing scared in Buffalo.

Riddle me this... Why did that happen?

Jim Kelly and Doug FLutie...

My answer... Both played with confidence that didnt break they both knew no matter what they would win the game if if they lost it they played the entire game like they were going to win it.

Riddle me this... Why were they able to maintain the confidence but no other Buffalo starting QB has been able to?

Maybe this is in Jest but these are my two observations regarding the QBs in Buffalo and I would like to see who else mighht share that opinion or be able to shed som light on it.

Johnson, Bledsoe, Edwards, and Losman are from the West Coast.

Kelly and Flutie are East coast boys.

Is that what you're getting at?

To be a successful Buffalo Bills quarterback you have to be able to embrace the cold weather and dismal economy of Buffalo. Although JP likes living in Buffalo, so there goes that theory.

You do realize he already lived that dream? Twice before that incident ever took place. Not to say he did not get screwed, but let us not rewrite history and make it more dramatic.

Sorry what 2 years did he do that? I know he led us to the playoffs in '98 and lost in the wildcard game. But, he didn't start that season as the Bills' starter. He game in mid season for Johnson, as I recall. 1999 was the first time he started the season as a starter and got his team to the playoffs and should have started in the playoffs (IMO). I recalled a quote at the time where he said that was his dream come true, that 99 season - that's what I was referring to (however, I could be wrong my memory has been known to suck).

What other season did he take a team to the playoffs?

Sorry what 2 years did he do that? I know he led us to the playoffs in '98 and lost in the wildcard game. But, he didn't start that season as the Bills' starter. He game in mid season for Johnson, as I recall. 1999 was the first time he started the season as a starter and got his team to the playoffs and should have started in the playoffs (IMO). I recalled a quote at the time where he said that was his dream come true, that 99 season - that's what I was referring to (however, I could be wrong my memory has been known to suck).

Sorry. The way it was written I interpreted it to mean "his dream was to play in the playoffs for an NFL team", which he had done before, twice.

I did not realize you were referring to "as the starter from the start of the year".

If JP comes in and and the Bills "win out" and somehow make the playoffs, I think it would be safe to say that JP lead the team to the playoffs, no?

Edit: nevermind I miss understood as well.

Sorry. The way it was written I interpreted it to mean "his dream was to play in the playoffs for an NFL team", which he had done before, twice.

I did not realize you were referring to "as the starter from the start of the year".

No biggie. You know it's gotten bad when we're all talkin Flutie again. :unsure:

If JP comes in and and the Bills "win out" and somehow make the playoffs, I think it would be safe to say that JP lead the team to the playoffs, no?

Edit: nevermind I miss understood as well.

But there's the question.... if JP wins this Sunday, should he/does he start against the Jets?

But there's the question.... if JP wins this Sunday, should he/does he start against the Jets?

No, starters shouldn't lose their jobs due to injury. Jauron made that mistake last year, when JP performed well against the horrible Cincy seconday and Edwards temporarily lost his job because of it.

No, starters shouldn't lose their jobs due to injury. Jauron made that mistake last year, when JP performed well against the horrible Cincy seconday and Edwards temporarily lost his job because of it.

Wonder if anyone in Tennessee would disagree with that?

That's a tough one. I'm not confident "as a team" we can beat the Jets or the Pats* right now either way but if he lights it up and takes control of the game and "leads" the team to a win I think they will have to consider letting him continue. If his plays is mediocre and the D is awesome and we get special teams points that largely contribute to the win, I think they go back to Trent (if healthy) because he is the starter. Either way a tough call, but lets get the win first and then worry about it.

That's a tough one. I'm not confident "as a team" we can beat the Jets or the Pats* right now either way but if he lights it up and takes control of the game and "leads" the team to a win I think they will have to consider letting him continue. If his plays is mediocre and the D is awesome and we get special teams points that largely contribute to the win, I think they go back to Trent (if healthy) because he is the starter. Either way a tough call, but lets get the win first and then worry about it.

Agreed. It would be a good problem to have. Typically, I think you go with the hot hand. So, I can see your point about it depending upon how we win - because of JP or because of the defense. Of course, some people think the QB's play somehow effects the defense's play; but lets not worry about that till the post game.

It will be interesting to see Jauron squirm with the answer, though. I really hope JP proves everyone wrong and earns Offensive Player of the week Honors.

To bring this thread full circle, in the season that doug flutie "led" the Bills to the playoffs ('99), he posted stats that almost mirror JP's 2006 campaign. That should tell you something about doug's play versus the defense's.

Agreed. It would be a good problem to have. Typically, I think you go with the hot hand. So, I can see your point about it depending upon how we win - because of JP or because of the defense. Of course, some people think the QB's play somehow effects the defense's play; but lets not worry about that till the post game.

It will be interesting to see Jauron squirm with the answer, though. I really hope JP proves everyone wrong and earns Offensive Player of the week Honors.

Hey if he get offensive player of the week honors, that means we win, so I'm with you there. :unsure:

Flutie was the most entertaining player we have had as a QB since Kelly. Kelly was entertaining for his grit and never die attitude, the little man because of his abilities as a "little man". I hated that he got the pine in that PO game, still think he was our best chance to win. I think he was pretty good.

To go out on a limb here (and off topic), should we draft Tebrow to bring in a new "talented" and entertaining QB next year (at least as a back up) he DOES make plays and is a TD machine.

Oh right, he won't do well in the NFL and is a product of his system............... sounds like the Flutie to me.

It seems our system sucks (so I know already it aint going to happen) but I would bet he is going to be cool to watch somewhere.

Flutie was the most entertaining player we have had as a QB since Kelly. Kelly was entertaining for his grit and never die attitude, the little man because of his abilities as a "little man". I hated that he got the pine in that PO game, still think he was our best chance to win. I think he was pretty good.

To go out on a limb here (and off topic), should we draft Tebrow to bring in a new "talented" and entertaining QB next year (at least as a back up) he DOES make plays and is a TD machine.

Oh right, he won't do well in the NFL and is a product of his system............... sounds like the Flutie to me.

It seems our system sucks (so I know already it aint going to happen) but I would bet he is going to be cool to watch somewhere.

Tebow = 'new' flavor of the week.

Maybe a Florida fan can correct me:

IIRC, Tebow has played in an option offense since high school. Out of the 800+ snaps he has taken, he has lined up under center only 17 times. In fact, he prefers to line up in the shotgun.

So unless an NFL team is planning on running the spread option, Tebow is looking at one hell of a learning curve.

IIRC, Tebow has played in an option offense since high school. Out of the 800+ snaps he has taken, he has lined up under center only 17 times. In fact, he prefers to line up in the shotgun.

So unless an NFL team is planning on running the spread option, Tebow is looking at one hell of a learning curve.

Maybe that would make him a natural fit for Shotgun Turk's offense?

Not to mention that his upright running style will get him killed in the NFL and he doesn't exactly "throw" a good pass at all. His "passes" are more of heaves or shot-puts.