Need any more proof that "Christmas" is out of hand?

blzrul

I'm surprised no-one's posted this yet - some poor store clerk got trampled to death by stupid greedy people trying to charge into a Wal-Mart.

This is outside of enough. I am sick of the !@#$ed-up priorities these days. I told my husband and daughter yesterday that I am spending no more than $200 on them for Christmas, and everything else is going to charity.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no-one's posted this yet - some poor store clerk got trampled to death by stupid greedy people trying to charge into a Wal-Mart.

This is outside of enough. I am sick of the !@#$ed-up priorities these days. I told my husband and daughter yesterday that I am spending no more than $200 on them for Christmas, and everything else is going to charity.

That is a sick story but turning into a cheapskate rarely solves any problems.

It was posted in OTW.

It has nothing to do with the season. It has to do with the consumption minded consumer.

Posted 11:57 on Off The Wall by me...

Surprise!

That is a sick story but turning into a cheapskate rarely solves any problems.

****. I'm not turning into a cheapskate, I'm just going to shift my spending to those who need it. We, very fortunately, do NOT.

You just can't resist the chance to cheapshot people can you? Here's hoping you don't need anyone's goodwill any time, because you'll probably find you will get about what you deserve...which ain't much.

****. I'm not turning into a cheapskate, I'm just going to shift my spending to those who need it. We, very fortunately, do NOT.

You just can't resist the chance to cheapshot people can you? Here's hoping you don't need anyone's goodwill any time, because you'll probably find you will get about what you deserve...which ain't much.

Don't get me wrong dude the charity stuff is great. I'm just saying that your personal spending habits are not going to solve the crazy shopping crap that goes on even if you imply that it will. You are just one person.

I've been shaking my head over the commercialization for about the past 15 years. Knock off a 0 from your estimate and you'll be getting a close approximation of what I'll be spending per family member. And I try to make gifts practical. I.e. my brother's Sailfish rudder broke this fall when he was out with it, so I'm going to be getting a nice piece of red oak, and shave it down, stain to match, and polyurethane it. In the past, I've given car safety, jumpers and med kits, toolboxes and one of those nice stainless rolling racks for my other brother's pantry (has since told me it was the most useful gift he's ever gotten).

No need to go big. The giving of gifts in the last week of the calender year was actually a Roman tradition --- they would give small tokens of coins, nuts, oranges, etc. --- that, like many customs (such as the Germanic one of evergreen trees), was incorporated and adapted into Christianity.

I guess for the last 50-60 years, the Church of Retail Economics incorporated, adapted, and supersized from Christianity in that same vein, with exponential growth in ~ the past 20 years as more and more stores need a longer season to get them 'into the black.' Just another symptom of an economy that has fed too long on markup from selling other countries' goods and wares and producing less of our own.

Ive been thinking this for a while. Not that i'm religious by any means but I still respect the tradition. That all seems to be lost these days. My favorite memories and even currently are some of the fun times with family. Now its just "gimmie,gimmie, gimmie". Xmas gifts are an entitlement now. Not a nice gesture.

Ive been thinking this for a while. Not that i'm religious by any means but I still respect the tradition. That all seems to be lost these days. My favorite memories and even currently are some of the fun times with family. Now its just "gimmie,gimmie, gimmie". Xmas gifts are an entitlement now. Not a nice gesture.

As an addendum to the post above:

I'm going to be instituting our aged-nuclear-family's First (with annual intentions) Very Merry Pajama Christmas with parents, two brothers, s-i-l and nieces (one is scheduled for early Dec) and nephew. Terry robes, long johns, felted lounge pants, even red union suits! Have the wood stove going, make some Candian Bacon strata and homefries, pop in "Elf" and "...Grinch..." and make it less about presents than usual. That is my aim --- don't know if that's what's going to happen. When you gather too many people, things tend to go their own way.

Ya, I read an article in this morning's paper where a mother was telling her young daughter that she wouldn't be getting as many presents this year because Santa had more children to divide the presents amongst (the family is intending to donate more to charity since they are well off). The kid's response left me cold - "well after Santa then there's the EASTER BUNNY!". Ugh.

Christmas and Easter are religious holidays. I wonder how many people stop to think about that any more.

This isn't anything new, it's always bothered me and for the past 10-12 years our family has had the best Christmases when we did something for someone else instead of wallowing in hedonistic buying /gift giving of stuff none of us really need.

You are all right when you say Cristmas is a religious holiday. It should not be spent being a consumer and giving gifts of material things.

It should be spent judging and looking down upon people who give material things.

You should take advantage of the time to have that stick removed from your butt.

You should take advantage of the time to have that stick removed from your butt.

Dude I was agreeing with you.

Christmas is about Jesus. All of these people that have made it about material gifts have done so either because it is hard for them to understand the real message, or because they have easily been duped by people selling those material things. Or both. Essentially they are weak minded. Not as bad as Canadians, but still.

To celebrate Jesus we should do what he did to the weak minded. He mocked them and judged them and told everyone how much better he was than them.

To celebrate Jesus we should do what he did to the weak minded. He mocked them and judged them and told everyone how much better he was than them.

I thought he used the force to trick weak minded Storm Troopers into thinking R2 and 3PO weren't the droids they were looking for.

Or am I confusing him with Obi Wan Kenobe :)

Blame the stores...but also the biggest blame goes onto the heads of simple-minded retards who barge through doors at 4am. Saving money? LOL, no...these TardBots are throwing this on their 19.9% interest rate credit cards. Too bad the employees just don't let everyone in the store, and then shut the store down and lock it up and leave. Keep the Tards in there for weeks on end...as long as they can survive before they start knocking one another off.

:)

Blame the stores...but also the biggest blame goes onto the heads of simple-minded retards who barge through doors at 4am. Saving money? LOL, no...these TardBots are throwing this on their 19.9% interest rate credit cards. Too bad the employees just don't let everyone in the store, and then shut the store down and lock it up and leave. Keep the Tards in there for weeks on end...as long as they can survive before they start knocking one another off.

Survivor: Wal-Mart