interesting column on AFC playoff projections

tomdayfan

I think 10-6 is very possible, but I find it interesting that he has the Bills beating the Jets, but losing to Denver.

I agree with the statement "Win either of the back-to-back road games in Week 15 and 16 and the Bills might have a shot".

A huge key is Baltimore - if they win 2 of the 3 against Washington, Pittsburgh, & Dallas, they're probably in. If they do any less than that, the Bills have a shot.

I think 10-6 is very possible, but I find it interesting that he has the Bills beating the Jets, but losing to Denver.

I agree with the statement "Win either of the back-to-back road games in Week 15 and 16 and the Bills might have a shot".

A huge key is Baltimore - if they win 2 of the 3 against Washington, Pittsburgh, & Dallas, they're probably in. If they do any less than that, the Bills have a shot.

I feel like Baltimore is the most likely to falter. I am confident that Indy will coast on in. The question will be whether the Bills can somehow overtake New England or the Jets. But you know if the Bills reach 10-6 somehow, but miss the playoffs, I cannot really complain.

But you know if the Bills reach 10-6 somehow, but miss the playoffs, I cannot really complain.

Thats kinda getting lost in all this, I think. If we go 10-6 and miss out, the season is a success regardless. 10-6 usually does get you in, and if we could just repeat that next year, chances are we'd be there.

I feel like Baltimore is the most likely to falter. I am confident that Indy will coast on in. The question will be whether the Bills can somehow overtake New England or the Jets. But you know if the Bills reach 10-6 somehow, but miss the playoffs, I cannot really complain.

The Jets are off the radar for now, if you ask me. I know they're only 1 game ahead in the division, but since they're in first place, we might as well not worry about them. I'm also not worrying about Indy because of their cupcake schedule the rest of the way.

The teams to watch are Baltimore & New England*. The Patriots* need to lose 1 game before Week 17 and Baltimore would need to lose 2 - both of which are very possible. Since Pittsburgh plays both of these guys down the stretch, the Steelers might become our second favorite team.

The most important thing is that the Bills win, period. They have SOME margin for error, but 1 loss is all they can afford.

Every single year at this time, we hear the same stuff. All about how many teams are serious contenders and how 10-6 probably won't be good enough. The assumption is that all of these teams will make the perfect sprint to the finish line. It just doesn't happen that way. In the end, 10-6 almost always gets you a spot.

I'll predict right now that IF the Bills get to 10-6, and IF those wins include Miami and N*E, they'll get in. Baltimore has a very tough schedule, and NE will lose another game along the way (PIT or AZ).

You dont Get it if we are 10-6 NE has to LOSE 3 games- for us to get in, Baltimore has to lose 3 games for us to get in- We wont win the tie breaker thats why we are out @ 10-6 and the only way in is 11-5 we have to win out its the only way in PERIOD!

Every single year at this time, we hear the same stuff. All about how many teams are serious contenders and how 10-6 probably won't be good enough. The assumption is that all of these teams will make the perfect sprint to the finish line. It just doesn't happen that way. In the end, 10-6 almost always gets you a spot.

Dude way off base her a perfect stint would be what 5-0 rest of the way yes thats what we need. But Indy, NE, BAL all are 7-4 means all they need to do is 3-2 the rest of the way for 10-6 and yes that means some is out We would have to go 4-1 and that would still leave us out so lets say it happened that way then yes TWO TEAMS WOULD BE LEFT OUT AT 10-6!!!!!

You dont Get it if we are 10-6 NE has to LOSE 3 games- for us to get in, Baltimore has to lose 3 games for us to get in- We wont win the tie breaker thats why we are out @ 10-6 and the only way in is 11-5 we have to win out its the only way in PERIOD!

Umm, excuse me, I certainly do "get it." N*E has 4 losses. One to the Bills and one to PIT or AZ gives them 6, and the Bills would own the tiebreaker. Baltimore has a tough schedule and is very likely to lose 2 more games, at which point the Bills also own the tiebreaker over the Ravens.

Dude way off base her a perfect stint would be what 5-0 rest of the way yes thats what we need. But Indy, NE, BAL all are 7-4 means all they need to do is 3-2 the rest of the way for 10-6 and yes that means some is out We would have to go 4-1 and that would still leave us out so lets say it happened that way then yes TWO TEAMS WOULD BE LEFT OUT AT 10-6!!!!!

You are using words that I recognize from the English language, but you appear to have arranged them according to some secret code, which I am not currently interested in deciphering.

If we go 10-6 and miss out, the season is a success regardless. 10-6 usually does get you in, and if we could just repeat that next year, chances are we'd be there.

I understand your point, but you know that it doesn't work that way. If we get shut out at 10-6, next year we will be 9-7 or less. :thumbdown:

I am doing well at staying relatively calm this season, but 10-6 with no playoffs is a one way ticket to Depression City, wouldn't ya say?

You are using words that I recognize from the English language, but you appear to have arranged them according to some secret code, which I am not currently interested in deciphering.

My guess is passive voice of the pluperfect tense with some sort of weaving about of agreement with disregard for number and case along with a consistent beat-down of punctuation and several wandering connectives.

No? :thumbdown:

Umm, excuse me, I certainly do "get it." N*E has 4 losses. One to the Bills and one to PIT or AZ gives them 6, and the Bills would own the tiebreaker. Baltimore has a tough schedule and is very likely to lose 2 more games, at which point the Bills also own the tiebreaker over the Ravens.

Well, it depends. If Baltimore loses 2 more games and the Bills win out, the Bills finish AHEAD of the Ravens, anyway. No tiebreakers need to be applied.

If the Bills lose 1 game and Baltimore loses 2, they'll finish tied. At this point, the first tiebreaker becomes conference record. Then we get a bit hairy....

The Bills have one more game with an NFC opponent (SF), while Baltimore has 2 (WAS, @DAL). If the Ravens' 2 losses come from WAS & DAL, they'll finish with a 9-3 conference record. The best the Bills can do in conference is 8-4, thus they'd lose that tiebreaker. If Baltimore wins those two games and loses 2 AFC games, they'll finish 7-5, thus giving the Bills that tiebreaker.

If one of Baltimore's 2 losses come to an AFC opponent, they finish 8-4. Presuming the Bills win at least the 4 AFC games, they also finish 8-4 in the AFC. The second tiebreaker is record in common games - the Bills & Ravens both will have played Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, & Miami. As of today, the Bills are 2-2 (1 game left with Miami) and the Ravens are 4-0 (1 game left with Jacksonville). The Ravens will win that tiebreaker.

So, what we want to happen is one of the following:

1 - Baltimore to lose 2 games while the Bills win out

2 - Baltimore loses at least one game to an AFC team if the Bills lose only once

All of that said, none of this addresses what happens if New England* is part of a three-way tie. :thumbdown:

Look at Cleveland last year

My guess is passive voice of the pluperfect tense with some sort of weaving about of agreement with disregard for number and case along with a consistent beat-down of punctuation and several wandering connectives.

No? :thumbdown:

Hmmm… that's a pretty good breakdown.

(I hope you don't think less of me because I had to look up "pluperfect" in the dictionary.)