free kick

robkmil

Here is the play by play.

3-7-NYG 23 (9:23) (Shotgun) 13-K.Warner pass short left to 15-S.Breaston to NYG 12 for 11 yards (31-A.Ross).

1-10-NYG 12 (8:40) (Shotgun) 13-K.Warner pass short middle to 81-A.Boldin to NYG 4 for 8 yards (58-A.Pierce).

2-2-NYG 4 (7:55) (Shotgun) 34-T.Hightower left tackle for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

(Kick formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 9-D.Johnson pass to 93-C.Campbell is incomplete. ATTEMPT FAILS. Muffed hold

NYG 7 ARZ 9 Plays: 7 Possession: 3:47

New York Giants at 07:51

1-N.Rackers kicks 71 yards from ARI 30 to NYG -1. 44-A.Bradshaw to NYG 21 for 22 yards (46-T.Castille). PENALTY on ARI-22-M.Ware, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards, enforced at ARI 30 - No Play.

1-N.Rackers kicks 75 yards from ARI 25 to NYG 0. 87-D.Hixon to ARI 17 for 83 yards (21-A.Rolle).

1-10-ARI 17 (7:33) 44-A.Bradshaw left end pushed ob at ARI 15 for 2 yards (24-A.Wilson).

Here is the play by play.

3-7-NYG 23 (9:23) (Shotgun) 13-K.Warner pass short left to 15-S.Breaston to NYG 12 for 11 yards (31-A.Ross).

1-10-NYG 12 (8:40) (Shotgun) 13-K.Warner pass short middle to 81-A.Boldin to NYG 4 for 8 yards (58-A.Pierce).

2-2-NYG 4 (7:55) (Shotgun) 34-T.Hightower left tackle for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

(Kick formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 9-D.Johnson pass to 93-C.Campbell is incomplete. ATTEMPT FAILS. Muffed hold

NYG 7 ARZ 9 Plays: 7 Possession: 3:47

New York Giants at 07:51

1-N.Rackers kicks 71 yards from ARI 30 to NYG -1. 44-A.Bradshaw to NYG 21 for 22 yards (46-T.Castille). PENALTY on ARI-22-M.Ware, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards, enforced at ARI 30 - No Play.

1-N.Rackers kicks 75 yards from ARI 25 to NYG 0. 87-D.Hixon to ARI 17 for 83 yards (21-A.Rolle).

1-10-ARI 17 (7:33) 44-A.Bradshaw left end pushed ob at ARI 15 for 2 yards (24-A.Wilson).

Looks like that's the wrong play by play, from what I'm reading elsewhere. It seems the play was the last of the first half, and it looks like nucci has the answer above.

FYI, the free kick is also what happens after a safety. The kicking team is allowed to kick it however they want (without a tee), which is why it's called a "free" kick. After a safety, teams always opt to punt on the free kick, but they can kick it off with a holder if they want, or drop-kick it. I've always wondered why teams didn't opt for the holder option after a safety, but Rackers' shank today is probably a hint as to why teams go for the punt option.

I don't get this. Why wouldn't they just go for FG?

Because with a free kick there is no rush and the kicker can get a head of steam to kick the ball (as opposed to three steps). It basically looks like a kickoff without a tee.

Because with a free kick there is no rush and the kicker can get a head of steam to kick the ball (as opposed to three steps). It basically looks like a kickoff without a tee.

Ohhh, I guess I never noticed that there was no rush on a free kick after a safety before. Thanks.

There is a bit of confusion here between the terminology. After a safety, the team that was scored upon must kick off the ball with a punt, instead of off the tee. This is called a free kick.

At the end of a half, if the offensive team punts the ball as time expires, the returning team can fair catch the ball. At the conclusion of that play, they have a free play to attempt a FG (or quite possibly a Hail Mary, but do not quote me on anything inside the parenthesis here). A free play also can occur with a defensive penalty as time expires. On a free play, it is an untimed down.

There is a bit of confusion here between the terminology. After a safety, the team that was scored upon must kick off the ball with a punt, instead of off the tee. This is called a free kick.

At the end of a half, if the offensive team punts the ball as time expires, the returning team can fair catch the ball. At the conclusion of that play, they have a free play to attempt a FG (or quite possibly a Hail Mary, but do not quote me on anything inside the parenthesis here). A free play also can occur with a defensive penalty as time expires. On a free play, it is an untimed down.

According to everything I've read, this was a free kick and not a "free play." (And I'm not sure that a half can't end on a punt, either, unless the free kick is used.) The free kick, as above, is an unteed place-kick, drop kick, or punt, with no rush on the kicker. It is allowed after any fair catch (including a kickoff fair catch) and is mandatory after a safety.

EDIT: From the NFL digest of rules, it appears that the only way to run a play on an expired clock after a punt or kickoff is to use the free kick after a fair catch. Here's the rule: "If time expires while ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, placekicker may not use tee."

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/faircatch