lets review this losman disaster

TheKing

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, maybe I'm a little too attached. I don't care. I like it. My question is, if you don't care why are you here?

I like seeing people's opinions and talking or debating opinions .

But I don't live and die with it like some people.

Lets face it to some people it's like a religion.

For example, there was someone from another teams forum saying how miserable we must feel after the game moday.

But for me the game ended and it's over with the minute the game ended.

I don't feel bad.

I discuss what happened but I don't get down over it.

The error in my opinion was not drafting Losman. It was the coaches Losman has had. JP has a similar skill set to Flutie & had he been utilized in the same manner I believe he would have been successful in Buffalo.

Flutie was/is a winner, JP is not.

I have to agree. The way the Bills handled Losman was a disaster. They treated him in a way guaranteed to prevent him from reaching his potential. So I guess, yeah, he was a draft disaster, but a disaster created entirely by Mike Mularkey and Dick Jauron.

Trent Edwards now has played 2/3rds of the number of games that Losman has. That's shocking, isn't it, because Trent has barely begun. If we are to give Trent a chance, we have to play him and play him until we know for sure whether he can do it or not. The thing is that the Giants had to play Eli Manning nearly four complete seasons before the light came on in Game 16 of his fourth season. Until then, he was inconsistent, playing well one day and very poorly the next. Just like Trent and JP. For exactly the same reasons.

If we don't want to ruin Trent's chances to be successful for us the way we ruined JP's, we will need to start him again and again and again, even though he will not look like an NFL QB. Because almost nobody actually is ready to be an NFL QB as early in their career as Trent (and JP) is.

If JP finds a system that is good for him and gets a consistent chance to start, there is every chance that he will be very successful in this league.

Flutie was/is a winner, JP is not.

There was a reason Flutie was out of the NFL after almost exactly the same amount of time that JP has played here in Buffalo. After got a lot of chances to start and figure out the pro game, he showed that he was NFL-ready. But he wasn't early in his career. Flutie's early career is a pretty decent comparison to JP's actually. Interesting.

By the time Flutie got to Buffalo, he had had tons of pro experience and was a different player from the guy he was earlier in his career.

We know that is probably not true because he failed under multiple coaches.

Losman is the common denominator

Multiple coaches. There you have it. The kid never had a system that he could develop in and learn because all of our sh-- coaches kept getting fired. A young QB needs consistency or else he becomes JP Losman. I still think the kid has the physical tools but mentally its over for him in Buffalo. Oh yeah and he played behind an o-line completely devoid of talent and a running back that couldn't get out of his own way, and outside of Lee Evans he didn't have a serviceable receiver. Really? Peerless as a #2?

What is the purpose of this thread then? Enlighten us.

He successfully expressed the purpose of this thread with the thread's first post. If you choose to ignore or disbelieve that explanation, and if you insist that he has some hidden, insidious motive for having started this thread, you're welcome to ignore it.

Personally, I don't see why you've completely ruled out or ignored even the possibility that we should simply take him at his word. The explanation he provided was straightforward and very believable. He (correctly) views the Losman pick as a failure, and wants to determine the extent to which draft experts had predicted that failure. This would help address the larger question of the extent to which busts can be predicted (and hopefully avoided) in advance of making one's draft pick.

I'd also like to go back and take a look at what draft experts had been saying about the Mike Williams pick.

Do you know if Parcell's had any opinion on him?

The Tuna seems to get a good read on players most of the time.

The thing I get out of the Losman tradeup is that Blow missed a chance at picking up Demarcus Ware with the pick we shot over to Dallas. The pick we shot over to New England for Bledsoe I think they either Wolfork or Ty Warren. We missed with the 4th pick on Mike Williams. A team like the bills who refuse to spend to the cap & has limited resources can not miss on 1st rnd picks. I do not know who is responsible for Losman being a bust & I really do not care. The fact is he is a bust & the bills missed out on getting a good player.

One of the main reasons for the bills lack of success this decade is their lack of success in drafting players in the 1st round. If you look back at the last 8 drafts(since donahoe was hired):

2001 : Nate Clements - Not with the team anymore

2002 : Mike Williams - Not with the team anymore

2003 : Drew Bledsoe - trade away the pick. Bledsoe is no longer with the team

2004 : Lee Evans/Jp Losman : Evans was a solid pick, could of had Tommie Harris though(perfect cover 2 DT). Losman has been a bust, will no longer be with the team after this year

2005 : Traded pick for Losman - He will no longer be on the team after this season

2006 : Donte Whitner : seems like a decent pick, maybe a bit high for #8 but that is for another argument

2007 : Lynch : book is still out on him. Will need to produce more if he is to see a 2nd contract with the bills

2008 : Mckelvin ; To early to make a judgement on this pick.

So from 01-05 our first round picks are no longer on the team(or Losman's case will be gone after this year). Only Evans will still be with the club. 1 out 5 guys from those drafts. Not very good.

Do you know if Parcell's had any opinion on him?

The Tuna seems to get a good read on players most of the time.

How many SB's victories, does Parcells have, I think that the answer is two, and if it weren't for, heaven forbid,

wide right, he would have only one, what makes him an expert? He is way overrated.

Hard to say. In his only fulll season he has been the best Bills QB in a while. Trent's season looks like it'll come up short compared to JP 2006. Worse numbers and particularly weak in touchdown passes with too many turnovers for a guy who's strength is to move the chains and keep the offense on the field. Take all the emotion and subjectivity out of it, the offense is a bit more productive and more explosive under JP. Trent's preference to keep it short means defenses play closer to the line and reduce the run game as well.

That's why teams have been dropping 7 and 8 into coverage lately. Right. And I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with the fact that Evans was averaging over 20 yds a catch at one point and TE had a YPA average over 8 as well as the fact that we couldn't run the ball for sh*t all year. Yep. It's just Edwards' preference to throw short.

GO BILLS!!!