Dr. Z's Power Rankings

Realist

This dude lost all cedibility when I read the part about kicking with the swirling winds. Anyone who was at the game seen that when Dawson kicked & Lindell kicked that the flags on the goal posts were not moving. There was NO WIND! At that point and time in the 4th quarter the wind was a NON Factor!

Paul Peck, the radio sidelines reporter, who was on the field, said there was wind. He had said so all game long. Was it a gale? No. But there was wind, and he was kicking into the teeth of it.

Not only did he NOT lose credibility, but he was right. The reason the 56 yarder was good was because the wind was behind him at the other side of the field.

Actually, if you want a good general assessment, there is almost without fail less wind at night in western NY. Night brings calm, and just like the Dallas game last year there was no wind. The flags were right, and when it is swirling they are usually moving a lot more than they were.

Actually, a friend who was on the field (sidelines) Monday night, assures me there was some wind, on the field when the kick was attempted. I believe him as, well, he isn't a liar, and both Lindell (on kickoffs) and Dawson (on the last FG) seemed to get better distance than their usual kicks, when kicking in the other direction. I don't think there was a heavy wind, but there was some swirling, is what I am hearing.

But, yes, you are right about there being less wind, at night.

Of course, even if there was NO wind, it was a dumb strategy, IMO.

True, there was no wind. Z was wrong about that, but he was otherwise correct. The correct percentage play was to throw the ball again on first down to set up another first down opportunity and hopefully not only kick that shorter field goal, but also run the clock out. Had the Bills made that kick, the Browns still had better than a half minute and a great kick returner to get the ball back in position for a kicker who just nailed one that would have been good if it had been launched from the 45 yard line instead of the 38.

Jauron is what he is folks. I have been advocating a return to Jauron's play-not-to-lose style and after getting burned for 3 turnovers in the passing game they did finally return to Dickball and almost won. That's what you get, but it was worlds better than the fruitless attempt at chuck and duck football they've put on the previous 3 weeks. Had they run the ball regardless of big gains in those AFC East matchups, I think they come out with 2 wins and at least salvage some dignity in NE. They aren't very good, their coach sucks and they can't withstand turnovers. It's a crying shame that they blew almost a month of the season without being adamant about running the ball because after a 5-1 start, Dickball would have gotten them to the playoffs and been something to really build on.

That's one great assessment. Pretty much all of their negative plays have come during their passing-numerous-times-in-a-row frenzies.

Paul Peck, the radio sidelines reporter, who was on the field, said there was wind. He had said so all game long. Was it a gale? No. But there was wind, and he was kicking into the teeth of it.

Not only did he NOT lose credibility, but he was right. The reason the 56 yarder was good was because the wind was behind him at the other side of the field.

Wind or not is irrelevant. Settling for a 47 yarder was a bad strategy. But as a side-note I don't see how one can say wind wasn't hurting Bills when just 2 minutes earlier the Cleveland kicker made a 56-yarder in the other direction look easy.

This dude lost all cedibility when I read the part about kicking with the swirling winds. Anyone who was at the game seen that when Dawson kicked & Lindell kicked that the flags on the goal posts were not moving. There was NO WIND! At that point and time in the 4th quarter the wind was a NON Factor!

47 yards is no gimmee on a warm calm day.

Wind or not is irrelevant. Settling for a 47 yarder was a bad strategy. But as a side-note I don't see how one can say wind wasn't hurting Bills when just 2 minutes earlier the Cleveland kicker made a 56-yarder in the other direction look easy.

Tht guy killed the Bills last year in the snow game as well. Send him to hawaii.

re: your first sentence. Wind is NEVER irrelevant for a field goal, though it becomes less relevant as the distance decreases. Even the lack of wind is important, but there WAS wind, and you now have two on-field witnesses who have said that.

re: your last sentence. Try reading my post before you comment on it.

I do agree with you, though, that settling for a 47 yarder was bad strategy. As does Dr. Z.

Dr. Z pretty much nailed it. After getting to the 33 I was baffled as to running up the gut 3 plays in a row. This is a play that hasn't worked all season. We could have tried something else like putting Fred and Marshawn in the backfield and handing it to Fred. That worked great. Or, one of the off tackle or sweeps that worked so well. Send Fred or Marshwan out into the flat. Obviously the coaches had ZERO confidence in Trent to not throw an interception. Or, a QB draw. There had to be something else in the playbook. After finally we got a running a game and the O Line played well, to lose it like this. It was tough.

LOL! There was no wind where YOU WERE SITTING but up in the bowl it's very present. The Browns kicker had the wind to his back with a 56 yard FG!!! Now tell me that didn't make a difference. :lol:

It was the playcalling that didn't allow us to get 10 yards closer.

re: your first sentence. Wind is NEVER irrelevant for a field goal, though it becomes less relevant as the distance decreases. Even the lack of wind is important, but there WAS wind, and you now have two on-field witnesses who have said that.

re: your last sentence. Try reading my post before you comment on it.

I do agree with you, though, that settling for a 47 yarder was bad strategy. As does Dr. Z.

to be more clear, what i meant is wind is irrelevant as to whether or not it was a bad strategy. they should have tried to get more yards no matter what the wind was doing. because a) it looked like they could have gotten more yards and b) even with wind with 47 is never easy, as accuracy also decreases with length because a kick has more time to veer off line.