Shane Matthews logic

We might lose and not score any points...and how is that different from what we have now?

Everyone seems pretty confident that Shane Matthews would not be an improvement over Drew Bledsoe. That opinion is based on his pedigree more than anyone actually seeing him play. Of course, these are the same people who thought Drew Bledsoe was a quality QB!

Losman is not ready to play, but I'm sure sick of watching Blew Dredsoe kill this team week after week. I say start Matthews until Losman is ready. At least one damn game, just to see if it makes a difference! I'll bet they sell the rest of the 7,000 tix for Arizona if the announced Matthews and McGahee were starting.

PTR

We might lose and not score any points...and how is that different from what we have now?

Everyone seems pretty confident that Shane Matthews would not be an improvement over Drew Bledsoe.  That opinion is based on his pedigree more than anyone actually seeing him play.  Of course, these are the same people who thought Drew Bledsoe was a quality QB!

Losman is not ready to play, but I'm sure sick of watching Blew Dredsoe kill this team week after week.  I say start Matthews until Losman is ready.  At least one damn game, just to see if it makes a difference!  I'll bet they sell the rest of the 7,000 tix for Arizona if the announced Matthews and McGahee were starting.

PTR

86180[/snapback]

why not.

Everyone seems pretty confident that Shane Matthews would not be an improvement over Drew Bledsoe.  That opinion is based on his pedigree more than anyone actually seeing him play.  Of course, these are the same people who thought Drew Bledsoe was a quality QB!

Losman is not ready to play, but I'm sure sick of watching Blew Dredsoe kill this team week after week.  I say start Matthews until Losman is ready.  At least one damn game, just to see if it makes a difference!  I'll bet they sell the rest of the 7,000 tix for Arizona if the announced Matthews and McGahee were starting.

PTR

86180[/snapback]

why not.

86183[/snapback]

Maybe you're onto something here. I really don't know.

PTR

86180[/snapback]

Because while you, I, and every Bills fan knows that this season is lost, supposedly the players don't. They still have to go out and try to win. What message are you sending Spikes, Fletcher, and the other vets who want to win? What if Matthews is (God forbid) worse than Bledsoe? You can't bench him and go back to DB...you will completely lose the team. "Why should we listen to you? They benched you for the backup QB!" They're walking a slippery slope and are in a no win (literally and figuratively) situation. Benching Bledsoe sends the message to the players that you've given up on the '04 season. When the Bills are mathematically eliminated you will see Losman and not until then, IMHO (unless it's in mop-up duty). Matthews is simply not an option...he's not the present in the eyes of the starting players and he's certainly not the future.

IMHO (unless it's in mop-up duty). 

remember when mop up duty consisted of starting the last game of the season because home field was wrapped up? What was it? 15 years since that's happened? At least now we all know how redskins fans feel.

Because while you, I, and every Bills fan knows that this season is lost, supposedly the players don't. They still have to go out and try to win. What message are you sending Spikes, Fletcher, and the other vets who want to win? What if Matthews is (God forbid) worse than Bledsoe? You can't bench him and go back to DB...you will completely lose the team. "Why should we listen to you? They benched you for the backup QB!" They're walking a slippery slope and are in a no win (literally and figuratively) situation. Benching Bledsoe sends the message to the players that you've given up on the '04 season. When the Bills are mathematically eliminated you will see Losman and not until then, IMHO (unless it's in mop-up duty). Matthews is simply not an option...he's not the present in the eyes of the starting players and he's certainly not the future.

86213[/snapback]

I would say sticking with Bledsoe shows you've given up! And yes, Drew can go back in for Matthews. This ain't baseball. The team is on the verge of mutiny over Drew's play. You're close to losing them now. Playing Matthews may give the Bills a lift. I don't believe the Bills see Drew as the team leader. They see him as their biggest liabilty! A guy who gets a free pass, while players like Travis Henry ride the bench. The scenario you paint is compelling...yet totally unrelated to reality.

PTR

If Drew coughs up the Cardinals game, I doubt they will be holding hands and singing "Kumbayah" in the locker room.

PTR

86238[/snapback]

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But in any event, hardly a mutiny...

I would say sticking with Bledsoe shows you've given up!  And yes, Drew can go back in for Matthews.  This ain't baseball.  The team is on the verge of mutiny over Drew's play.  You're close to losing them now.  Playing Matthews may give the Bills a lift.  I don't believe the Bills see Drew as the team leader.  They see him as their biggest liabilty!  A guy who gets a free pass, while players like Travis Henry ride the bench.  The scenario you paint is compelling...yet totally unrelated to reality.

PTR

86223[/snapback]

Absolutely.

Play Matthews, if he sucks worse than Drew, put Drew back in.

PTR

86180[/snapback]

A bad week against the Ravens D and here we go again. The haters had to hide in the wings for 6 weeks. How about this answer. The answer is a lot deeper than the QB postion. The OFFENSE stinks. Is Shane going to make guys catch the ball, remember thier plays and block on runs too?

A bad week against the Ravens D and here we go again. The haters had to hide in the wings for 6 weeks. How about this answer. The answer is a lot deeper than the QB postion. The OFFENSE stinks. Is Shane going to make guys catch the ball, remember thier plays and block on runs too?

86252[/snapback]

One bad week? Did you just wake up from a coma?

PTR

One bad week?  Did you just wake up from a coma?

PTR

86257[/snapback]

Apparently you have been since the end of 2003. Let me fill you in. You missed the coaching change and the "smash mouth" running system we have been playing this year. This offense is on the backs of the running game. Why don't you try and cry about that.

86252[/snapback]

Heck, Coach, I'll go even deeper: the TEAM stinks! We have made some dubious coaching and personnel moves in the Donahoe era and, overall, our drafts have been poor. None of that can be blamed on Drew Bledsoe either.

Matthews should get a chance. Unless the weather is bad. You thought watching Fiedler throw in the wind was bad? Matthews would look like Wakefield to Fiedler's Nolan Ryan.

We've already proven we can lose with anyone.

I'm far more concerned that we're ANOTHER season from the playoffs because next season we'll likely be starting a rookie QB.

It sure is fun being a BILLS fan AND an advocate for Constitutionally small government. ;)

I saw Matthews play in the preseason and think he would do a better job than Bledsoe is doing right now.  That simple.

86371[/snapback]

I saw Matthews as a starter for the Bears. He made Rob Johnson and Drew Bledosoe look like first ballot hall of famers. He is only slightly more mobile than Bledsoe, and has about a 10th of the arm strength. He is not the answer, believe me. If anything, at this point, if Losman can't play, we are better off letting Bledsoe play out the string, cross our fingers that he can return to respectable form, and get something for a trade for him next year. Maybe a 5th round draft pick. Maybe it is the eternal Drew aplogist in me, but I still say Bledsoe is playing a lot better this year than last. He is at least making some plays this year, it is his judgement in the red-zone that is severely hampering his game, and our team....