Why aren't helmets foam padded on the outside?

busterramsey

It's football. Players know the risks just like Coal Miners know the risks of lung complications and caveins. With the rate of the fines and fan questions the players should just invest their money in Nerf Stock.

NERF BOW AND ARROW

I play in a flag football league and I always get ragged on for it not being football in pads, let me tell ya, flag football is way more punishing then football with pads. We have full contact downfield and we can lay people out legally near the sidelines.....honestly its back yard football. Its great! Im all for football with ZERO padding!

I think that would be a horrible idea. Those padded helmets would stick to each other causing lots of injuries. Probably neck injuries. The helmets now have a tendency to slide off each other. Helmet to body hits is what causes most injuries. I don`t think that a padded helmet is going to help much on these type of hits. It`s still the force or blow of the hit.

Kind of hard to paint soft foam with a pretty logo that you want to merchandise

Kelso's supplier did it.

It's football. Players know the risks just like Coal Miners know the risks of lung complications and caveins. With the rate of the fines and fan questions the players should just invest their money in Nerf Stock.

NERF BOW AND ARROW

:wallbash: Yes, why not try to protect players when it doesn't affect the play on the field?

Wouldn't that stop spearing? Wouldn't that make helmet to hemet hits irrelevant.. A player would still be protected,but the helmet would no longer be a weapon, right?.. Please help this dumb and bored poster. Thank you!

I don't blame you for being bored. This team is very boring of late. I agree that helmets should be padded on the outside. Maybe bras too.

I think that would be a horrible idea. Those padded helmets would stick to each other causing lots of injuries. Probably neck injuries. The helmets now have a tendency to slide off each other. Helmet to body hits is what causes most injuries. I don`t think that a padded helmet is going to help much on these type of hits. It`s still the force or blow of the hit.

What if you make everyone dip their heads in grease?

Kelso's supplier did it.

Kelso's "extra" helmet wasn't foam, it was a hard-plastic shell.

LINK

Dr,

Back in the late 80's / early 90's there was a player on the Bills whose helmet was covered with what appeared to be exterior padding. His helmet looked HUGE! Who was that and what was the story with this helmet? Hadn't exterior helmet padding already been known to cause neck injury by that time?

Thanks,

Dear Sir:

You are referring to a product called the "Procap Eliminator" and it is manufactured by Protection Sports Equipment which is located in Edinburg, PA. The product is basically a protective cap that attaches over a conventional helmet with six Velcro strips. The cap comes in several team colors and it can also be painted in any color using flexible type paint. It can be further decorated with conventional team decals and stripes. The cap has a center layer of softer padding surrounded by a top and bottom layer of harder, slick surface plastic material (similar to a modern flexible car bumper). The harder slick outer surface helps to deflect a collision similar to a conventional helmet shell and the harder slick inner surface is designed to break free of the helmet shell in the event of an extreme collision while absorbing the force of the collision as it becomes dislodged. This concept is quite different compared to the older style padded helmets form the 1960s and 1970s that had a softer outer surfaces that tended to grab and result in serious neck injuries while the underside of the padding was permanently glued and sewn to the surface of the helmet shell. Mark Kelso (Bills) and Steve Wallace (49ers) were the only two NFL players known to have worn the "Procap Eliminator" during actual league games. When it was suggested that Steve Young try this cap to help reduce the chance of future concussions he remarked that he would first retire before wearing the unusual looking device. Apparently there is less vanity in the high school and college ranks where this product is worn by many players who have suffered previous head injuries while wearing only the conventional protective helmet. This product is not endorsed by Riddell and Schutt has not taken an official position regarding its use. NFL trainers are reluctant to recommend its use without endorsement from the helmet industry.

Did you ever wonder why they dont wear ties while playing football?

Did you ever notice how small the kickers are?

Did you ever care the laces in the football being to wide?

Just trying to help!!

You rule Mr. Rooney, granted you are insane and probably have shitt yourself three times today but I still love you.