Interesting Event yesterday...

SD Jarhead

To anyone in the military, or who has served in the military, an upside down American Flag is a signal that the inhabitants of the structure flying the flag are in extreme distress. In the past, flying the flag in that manner has been used to signal hostage situations, quarantine, etc.

For a member of the military, a veteran, or a law enforcement official, the correct response to a sighting of an upside down American Flag should be to investigate and see what type of aid is desperately needed by the person or persons flying that flag.

Flying the American Flag upside down because one disagrees with the results of a recent election, or doesn't like the direction the country is headed in (according to the flag raiser) is, as the grunt's friend correctly noted, highly inappropriate but unfortunately, again as the grunt correctly noted, it does fall under the heading of free speech.

Now who's the one with the reading comprehension deficiency?

I show Lee, who is a retired Marine LtCol and he stops the truck and says let's go talk to them and fix it.

Anyway, I did some quick research and this is becoming a more common expression of distress for many Americans.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon, if you only knew how much I hate defending the Grunt's actions but in this case he was right.

First read the post above yours.

Them look at this site

Thank you, sir. simon has no idea what you're talking about, where as we do. Reading your post should have ended this, but simon would like to spread his stupidity around. Keep it to your self simon.

Thank you, sir. simon has no idea what you're talking about, where as we do. Reading your post should have ended this, but simon would like to spread his stupidity around. Keep it to your self simon.

I can't help myself eryn... :lol::lol:

Simon will be the judge of that (Blue)! Who makes you the boss of the board? "Control" issues too?

And I will say it before you do: "I will just go phuck off now."

But... Really... I am just funning now... No offense!

:lol:

I can't help myself eryn... :lol::lol:

Simon will be the judge of that (Blue)! Who makes you the boss of the board? "Control" issues too?

And I will say it before you do: "I will just go phuck off now."

But... Really... I am just funning now... No offense!

No offenceTakin. A lefty like you (well RI is not like you as he has a brain) was telling simon to in so many words to shut the !@#$ up. Did you miss that, Klingon?

Do you ever pay attention to things around you, or are you constantly talkin to Timothy Leary? :lol:

No offenceTakin. A lefty like you (well RI is not like you as he has a brain) was telling simon to in so many words to shut the !@#$ up. Did you miss that, Klingon?

Do you ever pay attention to things around you, or are you constantly talkin to Timothy Leary? :lol:

Yes. I did miss it. I just respond to our good friend the ex-Naval officer... Never seeing Simon's post.

And yes, I pay attention... Only when it is important.

Yes. I did miss it. I just respond to our good friend the ex-Naval officer... Never seeing Simon's post.

And yes, I pay attention... Only when it is important.

Let's get it right Ditch Operator :lol: , I'm a retired Master Chief Petty Officer, not an Ex-Naval Officer. I worked for a living during my years in the Navy just as I do now. :lol:

Let's get it right Ditch Operator :lol: , I'm a retired Master Chief Petty Officer, not an Ex-Naval Officer. I worked for a living during my years in the Navy just as I do now. :lol:

I send my sincere apology.

And it is Sh*t Ditch Operator! :lol: One time this past September (after the big flood)... I noticed from the corner of my eye a pleasure boater getting back into his boat in the approach area... I didn't say nothing until he was in the lock... I must of scared the crap out of him... I said: "You weren't in the water swimming?" He said: "Why yes, I was in." Then instead of saying anything about safety and being in the river channel at the approach of a dam... I said: "I would get home immediately and take a shower ASAP!... I hope you don't have any cuts and you closed your eyes and mouth!" The river literally stunk from the bile we were sending back to Lake Michigan to relieve the flooding downstream! :lol: :lol:

I think both of you owe Simon an apology.

I show Lee, who is a retired Marine LtCol and he stops the truck and says let's go talk to them and fix it.

Anyway, I did some quick research and this is becoming a more common expression of distress for many Americans.

Anyone who goes to the trouble of erecting a flagpole on their property can be expected to know the rules for display of the American Flag so yes if I see an upside down flag I assume that it is a distress signal.

And yes I respond to a distress signal when I see one.

And in answer to the rest of the BS in your post, just bite me. I stated very clearly my views in the post I directed you to. If your reading comprehension isn't up to the task of deciphering that post I suggest you go get a second hand copy of "Hooked on Phonics."

He wasn't going to "rescue" some damsel in distress.

He was going uninvited onto somebody's private property to harass a stranger in their home about their perceived lack of patriotism.

I don't give a flying !@#$ at a rolling doughnut about what kind of bullshlt you come up with about imaginary hostages, carbon monoxide or Islamic fundamentalists from Pluto.

Their actions had nothing to do with anybody in distress.

Period.

If you have an idea what he's talking about then you're just as big a dink as he is.

So you have no problem with members of the military coming uninvited onto a stranger's private property to "discuss" with them exactly how they should express their undying devotion to the state?

Good to know that all your jibberjaber about liberty and personal freedom is nothing but empty talk from a guy who doesn't believe a word of what he espouses. <_<

If you have an idea what he's talking about then you're just as big an idiot as he is.

So you have no problem with members of the military coming uninvited onto a stranger's private property to "discuss" with them exactly how they should express their devotion to the state?

Good to know that all your jibberjaber about liberty and personal freedom is nothing but empty talk from a guy who doesn't believe a word of what he espouses. <_<

jibberjabber? Thats freaking funny. I don't think he was out of line at all. Ooop hold on there's a knock at the door. Damn Mormons.

Well I think that, oop someone at the door again. Damn Christians. If he would have just, oop somebody at the door. Damn cable company's If he would have just told them that he wasn't, oopp someones at the door again. campaign for some guy named Obama. I guess he's to stupid to know that the election is over and that Obama won. Stupid is what stupid does. Right Forest?

Nobody ever comes to your door in lala land, eh? Enjoy the free gas and free mortgage payments on you trailerhome, simon.

jibberjabber? Thats freaking funny. I don't think he was out of line at all. Ooop hold on there's a knock at the door. Damn Mormons.

Well I think that, oop someone at the door again. Damn Christians. If he would have just, oop somebody at the door. Damn cable company's If he would have just told them that he wasn't, oopp someones at the door again. campaign for some guy named Obama. I guess he's to stupid to know that the election is over and that Obama won. Stupid is what stupid does. Right Forest?

Nobody ever comes to your door in lala land, eh? Enjoy the free gas and free mortgage payments on you trailerhome, simon.

Obama jokes and doublewides?

Daaaamn, that post reeks of the desperate displacement which often accompanies unfortunate self-realizations.

So now you're comparing the guy to Mormons, cableguys, Christians and political hacks?

Hell, I didn't even insult him that bad! <_<

More elitist talk. <_<

It may be stupid... But, some people are really simple... Why on God's green earth would you go up to someone's house, knock on the door and tell them their flag is upside down? I would think they know. I would think it was to "set them straight." It would be like me driving the bridge to work, getting out of my car and telling a boater to slow down and stop making a wake because they are in a no wake zone. <_<;) Now, if they come through the area that I control, I would advise them. Nobody is going to "set someone" straight on how they fly a flag.

And I don't hate the military... I may not be in the uniform services, but there is a ton of benefit all missions serve!

I know you don't hate the military. I didn't even interpret your post that way.

I just thought it was incredibly stupid. Rebellion against military discipline? Looks like you stayed at a Motel 6 last night. :lol:

Exactly (blue is very inportant)!... Also:

I am not a shrink but, stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... :lol::D IMO, It is all about control. When they are serving they feel like they are in control... Even if they almost 100% of the time being controlled by their superiors. Then when they get out into civilian world, they feel the need to control others... Some may feel quite helpless, then they fall back on the last bastion of control: They fought for our freedom.

I find the control angle quite pathetic. From this story, that need to control others while in the civilan world seems to not know the difference between current or past rank. Hopefully, most that served don't fall into this control trap.

WTF? Setting out to get the lady to turn the flag right side up? <_<;)

I will surely get flamed for this.

I think SD is in intellectual agreement, he just felt the need to share this story with everyone, to justify (again) his fear of Obama as president. See, he is not the only one who is scared that Obama is going to ruin the country, this lady feels the same way too...and she was so nice...we get it...

I have spent a great deal of time on the grounds of the Naval Academy for athletic reasons, and I was invited to attend the 2007 USNA commissioning, and listened to Robert Gates give the commencement speech. I get it. And I DON'T BUY ANY OF IT.

IMO, our military is a big, expensive, lives ruining joke.

I'm thinking SecDef for the Obama Administration?

So they thought some woman had been taken hostage, had somehow managed to free herself just long enough to run outside and put her flag upside down before being recaptured by California secessionist militants, and our heroes were right because they were just riding to her rescue?

Assuming of course that she doesn't have a phone. Or a neighbor.