America Serves

Wacka

Unless you like bed-wetting. Congress has other fish to fry and I think they know it.

Interestingly my husband's school required 100 hours of community service to graduate. It was a private school...you know, supposedly private schools give you a better education...so if a private school like Jesuit College Preparatory School in Dallas requires it, maybe it's actually a good thing for the student as well as the community.

Just a thought. I think this is a tempest in a teacup. I presume there will be incentives for community service. Frankly doing volunteer work is fun and builds character so I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't do it. But I don't believe that students will be conscripted.

Look it's a good idea at a private school but a bad idea at a public school. :devil:

A few things:

-To force gov't compulsion of work is a destruction of freedom

-The type of work you are to do that is "mandatory" I'm sure will not include religious organizations (as that's taboo in lib land)

-Destroys the idea of parenting by parents and perpetuates motherment by decreasing personal responsibility for both the parents and the children in proper development

Should I go on or do you really not see the problem with what he said.

So if a kid goes to school and they "mandate" he do a report on Tom Sawyer that's a destruction of freedom?! They have to write it on their off time don't they. I look at it as another homework assignment.

Why should it include religious organizations. Churches do things because they want to don't they? What religions are ok to work for. If you're going to do that you have to include all religions. Islam, Judaism, Satanism, Wiccan and others I'm sure you'd be mortified by.

Hey, did you know Obama's middle name is "Hussein"? He's going to make us all convert to Islam! I don't want to be a raghead!

That better? :nana:

Hey Sarah Palin is a towelhead!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THE HORROR! ENCOURAGING YOUNG PEOPLE TO BE SELFLESS AND VOLUNTEER???? OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! HE SHOULD JUST ENCOURAGE AMERICANS TO GO SHOPPING!!!

ENCOURAGING , more like ordering , the draft is not far away for both men and women as he stated. Have fun commrades. :devil:

So if a kid goes to school and they "mandate" he do a report on Tom Sawyer that's a destruction of freedom?! They have to write it on their off time don't they. I look at it as another homework assignment.

Why should it include religious organizations. Churches do things because they want to don't they? What religions are ok to work for. If you're going to do that you have to include all religions. Islam, Judaism, Satanism, Wiccan and others I'm sure you'd be mortified by.

For someone who never thinks through someone else's position it's hard to respond to your idiocy but ok...

If my child is compelled to write a paper on a book that I consider as a parent, and yes I know parenting by parents is not what the left wants, immoral I want the right to restrict such a paper to my child, and by my choice change schools that I agree with the schooling, or homeschool. Big Brother hates homeschooling because they can't destroy children so they have made it illegal in Cali. That's open-mindedness and freedom! The left is all into freedom and it's those wackos on the right.

The parent, not the state, is the primary educator of morals, duties to society and education. How that parent wants to do that is up to them as long as it does not violate the natural law or good order to society. If the government decides to restrict the freedoms of adults to conscription then a question of whether or not the common good is so threatened that it is deemed indispensable for them to comply as there must be clear and grave circumstances to even warrant such an action.

My point on religious groups is exactly what you said, but you don't understand your own position to consequence. I already have to "tolerate" the religion of secularity, which is exactly what would be forced by these mandated work periods (tolerate the acts of homos, anti-religious, but not Christianity as that's Church/State issues), why not give me the freedom, or my child the freedom to have the same choice as long as it does not hurt natural law or the common good based on reason and ethics? If you are going to compel my child to act, and in the way and mind-set you want, how is that a just or good law if it violates my right to raise my child that does not violate natural law or the common good?

It might be hard for your mind to understand, but read it again and say "Goose-fraba" over and over again while breathing.

This is all old news. He said several times during the early dempocratic debates that he wants to expand the public service sector (specifically AmericaCorps and the Peace Corps) to the samesize as the Defense Department.

Naturally this left some scratching their heads. Surely he doesn't mean budget, so (unless it was an empty promise) he has to be talking about the nuber of employees. I don't know which prospect scares me more.

Regarding the tuition tax credit for communityv service, I think it is a terrible idea. I cannot believe that in a program the size needed to cover the population of college enrollees that you are going to find meaningfull work worth minimum wage, let alone $40 an hour. The program will devolve into an entitlement joke - show up at a park, hand out leaflets and goof around with your friends for a day, get your service box checked and collect your 4k.

The program will devolve into an entitlement joke - show up at a park, hand out leaflets and goof around with your friends for a day, get your service box checked and collect your 4k.

:w00t:

Sounds like the big-city youth summer employment programs that were in vogue a few years back. They were ghost towns here in Cincy, until they started to dry up and the yapping mouths saw some political hay to be made.

There has been publicity here for free kid food during the summer the last 2 years. Before, that, the lack of participants was irksom - hawking free federal food having a nice profit cut for school systems.

Anybody remember C.E.T.A.? :D

:w00t:

Sounds like the big-city youth summer employment programs that were in vogue a few years back. They were ghost towns here in Cincy, until they started to dry up and the yapping mouths saw some political hay to be made.

There has been publicity here for free kid food during the summer the last 2 years. Before, that, the lack of participants was irksom - hawking free federal food having a nice profit cut for school systems.

Anybody remember C.E.T.A.? ;)

Finally , midnight basketball :D

When the government requires you to do anything, it's a bad thing.

Stop you whining, this is probably one of the best things a high school student can do, getting out of their selfish little world and giving back. I just saw about twenty sitting in a circle on the steps of shopping plaza in the assumed doobie formation. It will keep kids out of trouble. My church in high school had us do a lot of community service and I did a lot in college.

I still volunteer and I have two kids I am raising as Mr. Mom, while I am running a photography business. It is called time management. Stop being so selfish. If you did there would be less need for all those government programs. :w00t:

You would get to actually practice one of those Republican family values you like to tell other people they should do.

For someone who never thinks through someone else's position it's hard to respond to your idiocy but ok...

If my child is compelled to write a paper on a book that I consider as a parent, and yes I know parenting by parents is not what the left wants, immoral I want the right to restrict such a paper to my child, and by my choice change schools that I agree with the schooling, or homeschool. Big Brother hates homeschooling because they can't destroy children so they have made it illegal in Cali. That's open-mindedness and freedom! The left is all into freedom and it's those wackos on the right.

The parent, not the state, is the primary educator of morals, duties to society and education. How that parent wants to do that is up to them as long as it does not violate the natural law or good order to society. If the government decides to restrict the freedoms of adults to conscription then a question of whether or not the common good is so threatened that it is deemed indispensable for them to comply as there must be clear and grave circumstances to even warrant such an action.

My point on religious groups is exactly what you said, but you don't understand your own position to consequence. I already have to "tolerate" the religion of secularity, which is exactly what would be forced by these mandated work periods (tolerate the acts of homos, anti-religious, but not Christianity as that's Church/State issues), why not give me the freedom, or my child the freedom to have the same choice as long as it does not hurt natural law or the common good based on reason and ethics? If you are going to compel my child to act, and in the way and mind-set you want, how is that a just or good law if it violates my right to raise my child that does not violate natural law or the common good?

It might be hard for your mind to understand, but read it again and say "Goose-fraba" over and over again while breathing.

You are a parent? Man, that is a scary thought.

Agreed. I don't mind subject matter I disagree with, my sons will be exposed to it sooner or later, just that I want that teacher to respect what my son or daughter believes as long as they are respectful when stating their opinion in class and that only applies to grammar school. In high school all bets are off, I want my children to think and be able to stand up for themselves against any kind of criticism and not lose faith in their values.

Hehe, I thought you were done with PPP. Came back to see how long you could hold your sanity? StupidNation will do a descent job in pushing you to lose it.

John Oliver here does a good job describing how I feel about now. I've lost my belief in humanity almost.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jh...amp;byDate=true