Is 5-3 / tied for 1st better than what you expected ??

SKOOBY

Personally, I thought 4-4 was going to be our record but we jumped out pretty quick there and recently had some injuries that challenged our depth at key positions.

Is 5-3 really all that bad or not give us a chance to compete?? If you check our previous years our mid schedule games, it brought out some of our best play so I think we have more than a fighting chance. To give up on any season mid-way if unthinkable.

GO BILLS!!

Look at the NYG second half last season, they got killed at home by the vikings 41-17 and never looked back:

10 November 11 4:15 p.m. Fox vs Dallas Cowboys L 31-20 Giants Stadium Recap

11 November 18 1:00 p.m.[e][2] Fox @ Detroit Lions W 16-10 Ford Field Recap

12 November 25 1:00 p.m. Fox vs Minnesota Vikings L 41-17 Giants Stadium Recap

13 December 2 4:15 p.m. Fox @ Chicago Bears W 21-16 Soldier Field Recap

14 December 9 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Philadelphia Eagles W 16-13 Lincoln Financial Field Recap

15 December 16 8:15 p.m. NBC vs Washington Redskins L 22-10 Giants Stadium Recap

16 December 23 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Buffalo Bills W 38-21 Ralph Wilson Stadium Recap

17 December 29 8:15 p.m. NFLN[f] vs New England Patriots L 38-35 Giants Stadium Recap

Postseason

1[g] January 6 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 24-14 Raymond James Stadium Recap

2[h] January 13 4:30 p.m. Fox @ Dallas Cowboys W 21-17 Texas Stadium Recap

3 January 20 6:30 p.m. Fox @ Green Bay Packers W 23-20 Lambeau Field Recap

4[j] February 3 6:30 p.m. Fox @ New England Patriots W 17-14 University of Phoenix Stadium

Glendale, Arizona Recap

5-3 is fine. the issue for me is the 0-2 divisional record. Lose thise week even 5-4 isn't the "end of the world". 0-3 in the division is basically slitting the wrists and then depserately trying to stop the bleeding. We're not out of it. There are issues that need to be figured out. Like the run game. As well as issues that won't be fixed/can't be fixed until the offseason i.e- the front 7 of the defense.

5-3 is fine. the issue for me is the 0-2 divisional record. Lose thise week even 5-4 isn't the "end of the world". 0-3 in the division is basically slitting the wrists and then depserately trying to stop the bleeding. We're not out of it. There are issues that need to be figured out. Like the run game. As well as issues that won't be fixed/can't be fixed until the offseason i.e- the front 7 of the defense.

The level of play by our defense will end up being determined by how our offense succeeds. If we score TD's and not FG's, it makes it that much easier for our defense (or any defense). I personally think that we'll do real well this weekend and fight it our the rest of the year.

My big concern is that we could lose the last three games on our schedule. (AT Jets, AT Denver, and the Pats at the Ralph) Now, having said that, here's the weird part... we could lose all three and STILL go 10-6. Here's a half-kidding statistical question: has any team ever won a division while going 0-6 in division games? Just asking ...

Totally agree with you. It's the divisional games that kill me

Thank you for typing this for me

The Bills need to beat the Patriots twice and split with Miami/NY Jets. Along the way Miami and the Jets need to lose to the Patriots. That should put us at the top of the division.

Which I feel is what is going to happen. Denver has not been setting the world on fire and SF is in shambles with the coach half dressed at halftime, all winnable games.

A 5-3 record is what I projected on my schedule, I had them losing to Jax, Zona and SD which means I had them at 3-3 after 6 games, and then winning agaisnt the Dolphins and Jets to get to 5-3.

After they beat SD to go 5-1, I raised my expectations hoping for 7-1, and figured no worse than 6-2 at the break with the Jets at the Ralph. Needless to say they are at 5-3 like I expected, just didn't expect 5-3 this way, but at the sametime I'm disappointed they are not 1 game better at 6-2, but what is done is done.

FWIW: I have them losing at NE to go 5-4 and finishing the season at 11-5 with the 5th loss coming at Denver, I'm hoping for revenge in NY. It would be a major disappointment going less than 10-6 and missing the playoffs after a 4-0 start.

Like everyone else on this board, I am concerned as a fan with the rash of injuries, the weak O-line, no pass rush, no viable #2 WR option, and dimished special teams. After each passing season I realize more and more just how special the '90s were, man do I miss the Bills being in the playoffs.

I'd love to see a win on Sunday but w/ the injuries and poor play it really doesn't look good, but you know what they say "on any given Sunday", it wouldn't hurt if the ball started bouncing the Bills way a little either.

GO BILLS!!!!!!! :unsure:

Better than I expected, but we are 1-3 in our last four...don't like that trend and we need a W this weekend to stay in the front of the conversation. The Bills have a great chance to do what they have failed to the past 9 years or so, stay relevant and control their playoff destiny....

5 and 3 is much better than I expected. However, my giddiness is tempered by the fact that we've lost the last few.

(Plus, our division record sucks.)

That being said... I'm a happy camper.

(The rejection of Republicans, last night may also add to my happiness!)

:unsure:

Guest dog14787
Personally, I thought 4-4 was going to be our record but we jumped out pretty quick there and recently had some injuries that challenged our depth at key positions.

Is 5-3 really all that bad or not give us a chance to compete?? If you check our previous years our mid schedule games, it brought out some of our best play so I think we have more than a fighting chance. To give up on any season mid-way if unthinkable.

GO BILLS!!

Look at the NYG second half last season, they got killed at home by the vikings 41-17 and never looked back:

10 November 11 4:15 p.m. Fox vs Dallas Cowboys L 31-20 Giants Stadium Recap

11 November 18 1:00 p.m.[e][2] Fox @ Detroit Lions W 16-10 Ford Field Recap

12 November 25 1:00 p.m. Fox vs Minnesota Vikings L 41-17 Giants Stadium Recap

13 December 2 4:15 p.m. Fox @ Chicago Bears W 21-16 Soldier Field Recap

14 December 9 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Philadelphia Eagles W 16-13 Lincoln Financial Field Recap

15 December 16 8:15 p.m. NBC vs Washington Redskins L 22-10 Giants Stadium Recap

16 December 23 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Buffalo Bills W 38-21 Ralph Wilson Stadium Recap

17 December 29 8:15 p.m. NFLN[f] vs New England Patriots L 38-35 Giants Stadium Recap

Postseason

1[g] January 6 1:00 p.m. Fox @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 24-14 Raymond James Stadium Recap

2[h] January 13 4:30 p.m. Fox @ Dallas Cowboys W 21-17 Texas Stadium Recap

3 January 20 6:30 p.m. Fox @ Green Bay Packers W 23-20 Lambeau Field Recap

4[j] February 3 6:30 p.m. Fox @ New England Patriots W 17-14 University of Phoenix Stadium

Glendale, Arizona Recap

At the start of the season if you told me we would be 5 -3 at the half way point I would be OK with it, but to start out 4-0, no, I'm not, because instead of getting better we appear to have gotten worst. Using injury as an excuse just doesn't get it for me. The patriots lose Tom Brady for the whole season take a QB who hasn't started a game since High School and within a couple of games appear to be gearing for another play off run,

DOGGONiT!!!that pisses me off!!! :unsure:

I think that it is hard to compare the Bills to the Giants of last year. The Giants had a great running game / offensive line and an even better pass rush. The Buffalo Bills of 2008 have neither.

I think it is fair to consider the Bills a middle of the pack team, with the record a product of a favorable schedule. I do not think that the Bills will make the playoffs, but if they do, they will probably get bounced in the first round.

1. Very poor running game

2. Very weak pass rush

3. Very little depth at O-Line, LB, and DB

If we had a juggernaut offense like the Patriots did last year, we might be able to overcome those areas of weakness, but we do not. I hate to come off as negative, but just trying to be realistic.

Time to get serious now, no more excuses.

Well, one would have thought that they were serious from day 1, but I understand your point. I would say "time to buckle down further, no more excuses".

Funny how I see a lot of "5-3 is fine" responses. I'm not upset with it, but I'll bet everyone would be saying that 5-3 is great if the Bills were 3-3 or 4-2 at one point. To me, it's a bit disappointing, but only because how they arrived there. Besides, they're about 3 turnovers away from being 7-1. I'm not terribly upset with how they have played, save for the obvious issues....and it's not like the Bills are the only team with issues.

That said, if they lose to the Patriots*, the division title is a longshot at best. Though, at the beginning of the year, I was just hoping for a playoff spot and that's certainly not out of the question.