Defend Trent Now

Virgil

Dude your dumb!

Teams don't respect the long pass and therefor don't worry about it, and no Trent can't throw the ball 50+ yards in the air. The longer the throw the more his ball floats and that is because of his poor throwing mechanics. His short passes and intermediate one are okay but the long attempts suck.

Because of teams lack of respect for the long ball they stack the box. The safeties don't worry about double covering the

WRs because they know he isn't throwing anything more than about 15 yards in the air. Other teams don't respect this offense. Until Trent can keep the safeties honest i'm afraid it's going to be more of the same in the coming weeks.

It doesn't take a 50+ yard pass to stretch the D. It take the OC to call a couple of pass plays of more than 20 yards to get it done. It's not because he can't throw the ball 50+ yards in the air, it's because of the play calling, and the fact that our O line can't block long enough for a player to run a long pattern.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was the commitment to run? We fall down 13-6 and they all but abandon the run game. I know the JETS are #4 against the run, now after our game probably #1, but comeon let's be serious - we hung Edwards out to dry again. It was a close game and the offensive game calling was not balanced. WE NEED TO START RUNNING THE BALL. I want 25+ carries against the Patriots. I don't care if we get 0 yards on 25 carries. Let's use our fat overpaid Lineman and tell them to hit the old slow Patriot D in front of them and wear those Fauckers down.

Well said :thumbsup:

Without Edwards we have no offense whatsoever. This is a dumb thread. He made a couple of bad plays but it hard to fault him when he is the only one on offense that has any responsibility. Our running game is absolutely horrid, not one good thing to say about it.

Maybe you forgot what our passing game looked like before Edwards took over the job.

So you are saying "people" (including me) invoke JP's name, but "not the bug" OK? Who should learn to read? So the last 2 games are Trents fault and he was "terrible", I guess we were never in those games and had no chance to win. I know you don't like the guy and think JP should be the starter, but he has not been terrible for a young QB. Speaking of HYPOCRITES, it seems a lot of peop[le who complained about how JP was messed with, think Trent should be treated the same way, sounds like hypocrites to me.

Yes, learn to read. I said People. You were only one of MANY that brought up JP & not the first. The point is JP should not be used as an EXCUSE for Trent's play. YES the Bills could have won both games, but ultimately the Bills lost the last two games LARGELY because of Trent's play. The point of this thread I think is to get the Trent lovers to acknowledge his POOR play the last two weeks. Thus far, very few of you are willing to do so. Neither I or any other poster called for JP to start over Trent. The Bills will & should swim or sink with Trent as QB, in my opinion. 8 games to go the Bills NEED to win 5 of those, GO BILLS!

Yes, learn to read. I said People. You were only one of MANY that brought up JP & not the first. The point is JP should not be used as an EXCUSE for Trent's play. YES the Bills could have won both games, but ultimately the Bills lost the last two games LARGELY because of Trent's play. The point of this thread I think is to get the Trent lovers to acknowledge his POOR play the last two weeks. Thus far, very few of you are willing to do so. Neither I or any other poster called for JP to start over Trent. The Bills will & should swim or sink with Trent as QB, in my opinion. 8 games to go the Bills NEED to win 5 of those, GO BILLS!

You forgot to add:

" Neither I or any other poster called for JP to start over Trent. The Bills will & should swim or sink with Trent as QB, in my opinion. 8 games to go the Bills NEED to win 5 of those, GO BILLS! If Trent lovers admit that Trent sucks, and cost us the last two games, we JP lovers won't have to feel so silly for not letting go, and carrying on like jilted lovers for the last year. When Trent lovers admit that he doesn't walk on water, like we pretend everyone says he does, we will accept Trent for all of his flaws, and be happy to root for him to do well...but we know you Trent lovers won't do that, so, as long as he is wearing a Bills uniform, we will start threads, somehow linking every one of Trent's miscues to something that someone said about JP, our guy...we will love JP to the grave...our heart will go on forever." :thumbsup::wallbash:

There are other fish in the sea...you'll meet someone else...

You forgot to add:

" Neither I or any other poster called for JP to start over Trent. The Bills will & should swim or sink with Trent as QB, in my opinion. 8 games to go the Bills NEED to win 5 of those, GO BILLS! If Trent lovers admit that Trent sucks, and cost us the last two games, we JP lovers won't have to feel so silly for not letting go, and carrying on like jilted lovers for the last year" :thumbsup:

There are other fish in the sea...

For the last year I & other intelligent posters have been trying to tell people like you that the Bills had a number of problems. JP's play was affected by a NUMBER of things, & the Bills lost for numerous reasons. Now that Trent is behind center it is finally obvious to you. The funny thing is that in your eyes, while JP was TOTALLY responsible for the losses Trent has no responsibility in them.

Wow, being the one who started this thread, I feel I should clarify my intention for this post. Also, as a side note, I never expected to see such a huge response from when I posted it to when I got home. Interesting points.

First off, I like Trent. I also like JP and never liked the bashing that went on. Overall, I love the Bills and don't care if Hitler is the Qb as long as we win. I prefer not Hitler, but if he's got an accurate cannon, fair enough. In any case, I just wanted to point out the total, unwaivering bias that people wanted to protect Trent with and also attack against JP. It always seemed a bit unfair and Trent is starting to have some games that JP had.

Overall, I do believe that Trent is the better QB, but I am starting to wonder if he has enough in him to take us to the next level. I don't have stats for this, so I'm sure someone will dig them up, but his play is starting to show some consistency. Last year, he started a few games and looked great. But then, he just just started to get sloppy. This year, I'm seeing the same thing and wondering which Trent is the real one. I don't think that's an unreasonable thought. I'm afraid that he might be more of a gameplan only guy, and not have that "it" factor. That Jim Kelly, screw the playbook, i'm gonna throw my heart out or die trying, "it" factor. I want him to have it. I wanted JP to have it. At the end fo the day, I want our team to have it.

Overall, I don't think Trent is the problem. Yes, he lost this game for us. Sure the D could have won it back, but Trent did the damage that lost the game. Argue it all you want, but it's what I believe. Trent also lost last week for us. But still, even with that being true, I blame the coaches.

No, we can't run the ball, we don't produce turnovers, and our front four can't generate any pressure. But what teams don't have problems? I think Jauron and his staff have a game-management gameplan that can work, but they don't have contigency plans. Yes, they make adjustments, but nothing major. When Jauron first started, we lost many games in the last few minutes because we made minor mistakes. We won in the beginning of the season, but barely, because we didn't make those mistakes. Now, if we so much as turn the ball over once, we look lost and the flow of the game immediately falls apart.

What I'm alluding to is that I think that the coaches make gameplans and fit our players into it instead of making plans for what our talent allows. I don't know if this makes sense, but to me it does. We still have a young team. We are going to mess up. Our QB is going to have a bad game. Good teams, Great coaches figure it out. I hate to say it, look at the Patriots.

There is something seriously wrong when we lose the first two important games of the season to teams we should beat.

Wow, being the one who started this thread, I feel I should clarify my intention for this post. Also, as a side note, I never expected to see such a huge response from when I posted it to when I got home. Interesting points.

First off, I like Trent. I also like JP and never liked the bashing that went on. Overall, I love the Bills and don't care if Hitler is the Qb as long as we win. I prefer not Hitler, but if he's got an accurate cannon, fair enough. In any case, I just wanted to point out the total, unwaivering bias that people wanted to protect Trent with and also attack against JP. It always seemed a bit unfair and Trent is starting to have some games that JP had.

Overall, I do believe that Trent is the better QB, but I am starting to wonder if he has enough in him to take us to the next level. I don't have stats for this, so I'm sure someone will dig them up, but his play is starting to show some consistency. Last year, he started a few games and looked great. But then, he just just started to get sloppy. This year, I'm seeing the same thing and wondering which Trent is the real one. I don't think that's an unreasonable thought. I'm afraid that he might be more of a gameplan only guy, and not have that "it" factor. That Jim Kelly, screw the playbook, i'm gonna throw my heart out or die trying, "it" factor. I want him to have it. I wanted JP to have it. At the end fo the day, I want our team to have it.

Overall, I don't think Trent is the problem. Yes, he lost this game for us. Sure the D could have won it back, but Trent did the damage that lost the game. Argue it all you want, but it's what I believe. Trent also lost last week for us. But still, even with that being true, I blame the coaches.

No, we can't run the ball, we don't produce turnovers, and our front four can't generate any pressure. But what teams don't have problems? I think Jauron and his staff have a game-management gameplan that can work, but they don't have contigency plans. Yes, they make adjustments, but nothing major. When Jauron first started, we lost many games in the last few minutes because we made minor mistakes. We won in the beginning of the season, but barely, because we didn't make those mistakes. Now, if we so much as turn the ball over once, we look lost and the flow of the game immediately falls apart.

What I'm alluding to is that I think that the coaches make gameplans and fit our players into it instead of making plans for what our talent allows. I don't know if this makes sense, but to me it does. We still have a young team. We are going to mess up. Our QB is going to have a bad game. Good teams, Great coaches figure it out. I hate to say it, look at the Patriots.

There is something seriously wrong when we lose the first two important games of the season to teams we should beat.

Trent is the problem both today and lastweek. Outside of the first drive today he was LOST! His gamechanging plays cost us today no way around it. No excuses.

For the last year I & other intelligent posters have been trying to tell people like you that the Bills had a number of problems. JP's play was affected by a NUMBER of things, & the Bills lost for numerous reasons. Now that Trent is behind center it is finally obvious to you. The funny thing is that in your eyes, while JP was TOTALLY responsible for the losses Trent has no responsibility in them.

I have mostly stayed out of the QB fray, because it is pointless. Which was my point. Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you. I realize that JP's woes are in part related to many things not under his control. I was as big a JP supporter/apologist as anyone, until I saw Edwards play about 3 games. The difference is night and day. The "little things" that the position requires seem to come natural to Trent, while JP seems to hyper-ventilate when he faces adversity on the field...the game just doesn't seem to come to easily for him, depsite all of his physical gifts. Now, notice, I said the "litte things" come easier to Trent. He still has some of the big things to learn.

Personally, I think Edwards woes the last two weeks are coming, in part, because he may be feeling a little too over-confident right now, after a his fast start. All of the sudden, he is holding the ball a little longer, or sticking in the pocket a little longer, because it has worked for him before. It may sound silly, but if Losman had faced the pressure that Edwards faced today, against the Jets, I would be sure there would have been as least as many turnovers (granted maybe one or two bigger plays) and a ton of three and outs for the offense. I would rather have my QB suffering from over-confidence, than wilting at the first sign of pressure.

Every QB has to deal with ineptness on their team. Poor line play, dropped passes, questionable play calling are all part of the position. The other teams are good sometimes, too. The QB has to manage all of those things, and still figure out a way to move the chains. But, IMO, JP just never looked much better after all the playing time he did have. My point was, the jury is still out on Edwards (but IMO he has shown far more to get excited about than JP), but we shouldn't measure everything the kid does, against JP's situtation. It seems like a lot of JP devotees take tremendous glee in him failing. What exactly did JP Losman show, in his 36 starts, to garner such devotion? Sure, he has a strong arm, and made a handful of big passes, but, down for down, he just never improved much. Trent is now facing the same scrutiny. I bet he handles it better...

Incidently, I have supported Losman whenever he has played, becuase he is our guy that day. When people were trashing him for his play against the Cardianals a few weeks ago, I pointed out in numerous threads, that anyone blaming that loss on Losman was just silly. He kept the Bills in that game, after a rusty series or two, and played quite well, until the game got out of hand.

I have mostly stayed out of the QB fray, because it is pointless. Which was my point. Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you. I realize that JP's woes are in part related to many things not under his control. I was as big a JP supporter/apologist as anyone, until I saw Edwards play about 3 games. The difference is night and day. The "little things" that the position requires seem to come natural to Trent, while JP seems to hyper-ventilate when he faces adversity on the field...the game just doesn't seem to come to easily for him, depsite all of his physical gifts. Now, notice, I said the "litte things" come easier to Trent. He still has some of the big things to learn. Personally, I think his woes the last two weeks are coming, in part, becuase he may be feeling a little too over-confident right now, after a his fast start. All of the sudden, he is holding the ball a little longer, or sticking in the pocket a little longer, becuase it has worked for him before. It may sound silly, but if Losman had faced the pressure that Edwards faced today, against the Jets, I would be sure there would have been as least as many turnovers (granted maybe one or two bigger plays) and a ton of three and outs for the offense.

Every QB has to deal with ineptness on their team. Poor line play, dropped passes, questionable play calling are all part of the position. The other teams are good sometimes, too. The QB has to manage all of those things, and still figure out a way to move the change. But, IMO, JP just never looked much better after all the playing time he did have. My point was, the jury is still out on Edwards (but IMO he has shown far more to get excited about than JP), but we shouldn't measure everything the kid does, against JP's situtation. It seems like a lot of JP devotees take tremendous glee in him failing. What exactly did JP Losman show, in his 36 starts, to garner such devotion? Sure, he has a strong arm, and made a handful of big passes, but, down for down, he just never improved much. Trent is now facing the same scrutiny. I bet he handles it better...

JP is history as far as the Bills are concerned, so I agree no point in comparing the two, that was one of my points. I agree Trent has shown promise & I hope he continues to develop. (It is amazing to watch Cassels development this year)

Defend him?

I expect negativity after a loss. I expect negativity because we've lost two straight. Divisional games too. But you want people to defend him? C'mon.

1. The Jets harassed him all day. The O Line did not block at all. Trent was hit, hurried, and sacked all freaking day. No time to pass. And he STILL managed to complete 68% of his passes.

2. Our already non-existent run game faded even more. Our leading rusher had 16 yards. We had 30 total rush yards. It was obvious from the beginning of the game that we ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT RUN THE DAMN BALL. The Jets were then stacked to defend the pass and pressure Trent.

3. Reed was out, that hurt a lot. Granted Parrish made some catches, but nothing on a consistent level, nothing that actually scared anyone. Hardy is still not ready either. Royal is still iffy. This leaves Lee Evans as our only viable pass-catching threat, which the Jets knew, and they smartly double teamed him and took him away.

4. Down only 6 in the 4th quarter after Greer's amazing INT TD, the place was rocking and the crowd was back into it. Those defensive plays were met with some very loud cheering, and the defense could not get off the field, letting NY chip away and drive downfield in a 14-play 8 1/2 minute drive that killed our chances. That was uncharacteristic of our D.

5. Some of the worst and insane refereeing I have ever seen killed us and ate our timeouts and challenges. Some of their spots were just disgusting. Terrible, terrible refs. (Fine me! :angry:)

Anyone who thinks we need to justify/defend Trent is being ignorant, is looking to place blame on one guy, and must not have actually seen and paid attention to the game.

30 yards rushing. That's it! For the whole game! 30 yards! THAT is what killed us. Trent played really well today, especially given the circumstances.

Yes he can!!!

Hey, let's take a moment to analyze this. Just say, for arguments sake, Trent can't throw the

long ball. He is still a much better QB than Losman can ever hope to be. He has better pocket presence,

touch on the ball, grasp of the offense and reads defenses better. So Losman can be the one-trick

pony, and I'll take Trent anyday.

And speaking of the long ball. How much of the offense is predicated on the "long ball". Before we answer

that, we need to define the "long ball". I would guess that would be a pass that is in the air for greater than

50 yards, not a pass and catch greater then 50 yards. Now, Trent CAN throw the ball in the air greater than

50 yards with good accuracy. Problem is, unless your the 70's Raiders, that may be 1 to 2 balls a game, if that.

Really does the long ball even matter? I understand you want to loosen the defense, but tossing the ball 50 plus

yards all game, ain't the answer.

Let's not forget this, to be able to throw the "long ball", you would need to have AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT CAN HOLD

A BLOCK FOR MORE THAN 2 SECONDS! Which gets back to my original point that the poor offensive line play is

most of Trent's problems these days.

What evidence do we have that he's better? I've seen both play very well and very bad.

Defend him?

I expect negativity after a loss. I expect negativity because we've lost two straight. Divisional games too. But you want people to defend him? C'mon.

1. The Jets harassed him all day. The O Line did not block at all. Trent was hit, hurried, and sacked all freaking day. No time to pass. And he STILL managed to complete 68% of his passes.

2. Our already non-existent run game faded even more. Our leading rusher had 16 yards. We had 30 total rush yards. It was obvious from the beginning of the game that we ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT RUN THE DAMN BALL. The Jets were then stacked to defend the pass and pressure Trent.

3. Reed was out, that hurt a lot. Granted Parrish made some catches, but nothing on a consistent level, nothing that actually scared anyone. Hardy is still not ready either. Royal is still iffy. This leaves Lee Evans as our only viable pass-catching threat, which the Jets knew, and they smartly double teamed him and took him away.

4. Down only 6 in the 4th quarter after Greer's amazing INT TD, the place was rocking and the crowd was back into it. Those defensive plays were met with some very loud cheering, and the defense could not get off the field, letting NY chip away and drive downfield in a 14-play 8 1/2 minute drive that killed our chances. That was uncharacteristic of our D.

5. Some of the worst and insane refereeing I have ever seen killed us and ate our timeouts and challenges. Some of their spots were just disgusting. Terrible, terrible refs. (Fine me! :angry:)

Anyone who thinks we need to justify/defend Trent is being ignorant, is looking to place blame on one guy, and must not have actually seen and paid attention to the game.

30 yards rushing. That's it! For the whole game! 30 yards! THAT is what killed us. Trent played really well today, especially given the circumstances.

We're learning that there is more to playing winning football than just completing a high percentage of high percentage passes.

Defend him?

If he doesn't throw that pick 6, do you still think we lose?

but isn't that the definition difference between a good and bad qb. Knowing when to throw it away and not force something that's not there?

Check out the Video Link go to 1:30. AT 1:33 Trent receives the snap, at 1:35 he has to get rid of it before he gets killed.