Quick post: Cut Royal

We did (and so did the packers).....KC got greedy and wanted a 2nd

And not to rehash this, again, TG did not want to play in Buffalo and would have killed a trade to us.

Also, Royal does need to go, or at least not starting. Schouman should start (best of the rest) and get Fine

on the field and get some experience. I know he just got back, but get him out their. I just can't stand seeing Royal

play his butt off in a game were we have a good lead. Get him in a situation we need him and he drops multiple passes or if he even does catch it, FUMBLES IT!

Hey, how about Peters at TE and move Walker to LT? <_<

Over and over again we hear from the FO on how we need a TE who can block. I humbly submit that it's easier to find a pass catching TE and teach him to block than to find a TE who can block and teach him to catch.

TE simply hasn't been a priority for the FO the last few years and it shows...Sure wish we had Courtney Anderson now...

C

I keep waiting for this guy to make feel like we have a real tight end. He has played better this year but his fumble in the 4th was a deal breaker for me. He shouldn't be a starting TE and upgrading this position needs to be a priority this off season. I think that is the last piece of the puzzle that will make this a championship team.

And this is coming from a guy (me) who supported him for a very long time. Cut him.........

I know Royal has supporters for his adequate blocking, but I can't stand the guy. He is an accident waiting to happen, and he usually does in key situations. And it is worth note that he GETS the opportunities to make these mistakes because teams don't respect him in the passing game and he ends up as the open man. What's maddening is his ability to find the focus to have a big game against SD in response to the Tony G talk, but then losing it yet again. The guy just doesn't have the mental capacity to play the game at a high level week in and week out and is the true definition of a "bonehead" player.

But don't feel bad Bills fans, he did the same stuff in Washington. I've never before or after heard a teams play-by-play guys call for the head of one of their teams players during a game except for during a Washington/SD game that Royal single handedly blew by killing 3 drives with 3rd down drops. That offseason the Bills signed him and I've been all over his sh*tty play since and heard all the excuses from his apologists. Bottom line is that the guy is only useful for a few plays per game and anything more you are setting your team up to be let down by one guy who can't get his head on straight.

That free agent class from 06 is/was downright horrible. That's an understatement, and considering the money doled out to Tripplett (18.5M) Royal (12.5M) Fowler (7M) P. Price (10M) Nall, Bowen, A. Thomas, K. Thomas, Reyes, and perhaps the best of them all, Andre Davis who departed after that season.

People point to the NE signings after 2000, but there's no comparison. Show me a Vrabel type player that Buffalo got that season. How Royal was even on their radar is alarming.

Unless you can find a replacement, you have to keep Royal. The front office dropped the ball for not finding a starting TE either through free agency or the draft. It is plain and simple. They will be off the hook if Derek Fine turns out to be a good TE or Brandon should shoulder all the blame.

I know Royal has supporters for his adequate blocking, but I can't stand the guy. He is an accident waiting to happen, and he usually does in key situations. And it is worth note that he GETS the opportunities to make these mistakes because teams don't respect him in the passing game and he ends up as the open man. What's maddening is his ability to find the focus to have a big game against SD in response to the Tony G talk, but then losing it yet again. The guy just doesn't have the mental capacity to play the game at a high level week in and week out and is the true definition of a "bonehead" player.

But don't feel bad Bills fans, he did the same stuff in Washington. I've never before or after heard a teams play-by-play guys call for the head of one of their teams players during a game except for during a Washington/SD game that Royal single handedly blew by killing 3 drives with 3rd down drops. That offseason the Bills signed him and I've been all over his sh*tty play since and heard all the excuses from his apologists. Bottom line is that the guy is only useful for a few plays per game and anything more you are setting your team up to be let down by one guy who can't get his head on straight.

The most overrated attribute in pro football: a tight end's blocking ability. I'll take a mediocre blocker like Jay Novacek any day over a fairly good blocker like Royal. If he's a lousy receiver, you may as well line up another tackle.

Guest dog14787

Robert Royal is the best TE we have right now so cutting him is not an option.

I'm sure nobody feels worst then he does when he gives up the ball like that, the guy was trying to make a big play for his team, give him a break.

The most overrated attribute in pro football: a tight end's blocking ability. I'll take a mediocre blocker like Jay Novacek any day over a fairly good blocker like Royal. If he's a lousy receiver, you may as well line up another tackle.

I agree to a point dave, but Novacek played with a team that had the 2nd best OL that I for one have ever seen, and Moose Johnston at fullback. They had little if any need for him to block.

Still, it is true that the role of the TE might be changing to one that is more receiver oriented. Perhaps I am stuck in the past, but I still think that a young Pete Metz would win games for this team.

That said, I had hopes for Royal after a few of his good games, but he is a horror show.

I agree to a point dave, but Novacek played with a team that had the 2nd best OL that I for one have ever seen, and Moose Johnston at fullback. They had little if any need for him to block.

Still, it does that the role of the TE might be changing to one that is more receiver oriented. Perhaps I am stuck in the past, but I still think that a young Pete Metz would win games for this team.

That said, I had hopes for Royal after a few of his good games, but he is a horror show.

Bill, the flipside of that is that it's much harder to play an eight man front if you know the TE is an excellent receiver. If it's a guy like Royal, you know there's a decent chance of a drop or a fumble and you plan accordingly. Moreover, a line looks a lot better if there's a reliable TE outlet for a QB to connect with 70 times a season.

Bill, the flipside of that is that it's much harder to play an eight man front if you know the TE is an excellent receiver. If it's a guy like Royal, you know there's a decent chance of a drop or a fumble and you plan accordingly. Moreover, a line looks a lot better if there's a reliable TE outlet for a QB to connect with 70 times a season.

Great point, and I completely agree.

Tight End is a big problem, no doubt about it.

I'm a big Schoumann fan, but also a big Boise State fan, so the bias there is obvious.

Schoumann is listed at like 6'2 225? Good hands, but perhaps he's just too small.

Random sampling from around the league.....

Chris Cooley 6'3 249

Kellen Winslow 6'4 250

Owen Daniels 6'3 247

Kevin Boss 6'6 253

LJ Smith 6'3 258

First, the look at TE's already playing.

Here are the TE's who will be Free Agents in 2009 if they don't get re-signed by their respective teams, with age and yrs in NFL...

Desmond Clark TE CHI 31 9

Will Heller--------TE SEA 27 5

Jeff King--------- TE CAR 25 2

Jim Kleinsasser- TE MIN 31 8

Ben Patrick------ TE ARI 24 1

Leonard Pope----TE ARI 25 2

L.J. Smith--------TE PHI 28 5

Daniel Wilcox----TE BAL 31 4

If we take one of these guys, it won't be a 31-year-old. That limits it to Heller, King, Patrick, Pope and Smith.

Will Heller is worse than we have.

King, 260-lb. 5th RD, 2nd yr. is the receiving type. In his 1 16-game season his 46 catches netted 406 yds.

Patrick, 260 lb. 7th RD, 1st yr. played 6 games last year. 7 catches, 73 yd. They'll keep Pope, release King.

Pope, 260 lb. 3rd RD, had his best year a year ago, 23 catches 238 yd.

LJ Smith, 260 lb. 2nd RD, had his best year 2 years ago. 50 catches 611 yd, and has played fewer and fewer games since.

Wilcox, 250 lb UDFA, has never played a full season. His best was 14 games 2 years ago, 20 catches 166 yd.

If we can't get Jeff King, watch for the Bills to draft TE early (RD 2 or 3).

While Royal had a pretty good game today, I have to say the lone bright spot on our offense was D-Fine. While it would've been to nice to see him running a bit after the catch, he scored, made an athletic catch and looked good in traffic across the middle.