The reason why we lost...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-4 turnovers to their 1, rare for any team to overcome that on the road.

-Established a solid running game with opening drive in the 3rd, then seemed to abandon it.

-McGee not ready to play.

-Edwards was not as sharp as usual, - but we knew he'd have this kind of day eventually.

Hope no one is panicking, we still control our own destiny. Jets next week and NE after are now obviously BIG games.

The O-Line and Edwards lost us this game. I know I'm gonna get thrashed for calling out the golden child, but both of his fumbles are on him. Without 4 turnovers the dolphins don't score more than 16 points, an acceptable performance from our defense.

It "looked" bad seeing Ginn rack up yards on McGee but it never really hurt us, but if we can't score more than 16 points we're not winning many games anyways.

Anyone else concerned about the way Edwards holds the ball like a loaf of bread when he is scrambling? He didn't fumble on the play that he nearly scored on and was ultimately called back due to penalty, but he cannot run holding the ball like that or it will get knocked away. He also did this last week on a 3rd-down conversion. So far, he's getting away with it, but this will bite him if he keeps it up.

is, we can't run the ball. Discuss.

Some of the reasons why we lost are that on defense our coordinator (Perry Fewell) could not see what the TV viewers and talking heads on TV could see was that CB McGee was still playing injured with a bad leg.

We could also see on TV how badly Peters and Dockery played along with Center Preston. It was discurraging to watch these millionaires play so badly when Edwards needed more time to throw. Lynch and Jackson needs these guys to play better to open lanes which they have forgotten to do.

Anyone else concerned about the way Edwards holds the ball like a loaf of bread when he is scrambling? He didn't fumble on the play that he nearly scored on and was ultimately called back due to penalty, but he cannot run holding the ball like that or it will get knocked away. He also did this last week on a 3rd-down conversion. So far, he's getting away with it, but this will bite him if he keeps it up.

He does it in the backfield too. His ultra-quick release and pocket presence bail him out a lot, but he is very vulnerable to strip sacks.

yeah the coaches gotta get on him about that........loaf of bread stuff always a disaster

He does it in the backfield too. His ultra-quick release and pocket presence bail him out a lot, but he is very vulnerable to strip sacks.

yeah the coaches gotta get on him about that........loaf of bread stuff always a disaster

A cold, wet ball in November, December, & January won't be so easy to hold like that.

-4 turnovers to their 1, rare for any team to overcome that on the road.

-Established a solid running game with opening drive in the 3rd, then seemed to abandon it.

-McGee not ready to play.

-Edwards was not as sharp as usual, - but we knew he'd have this kind of day eventually.

Hope no one is panicking, we still control our own destiny. Jets next week and NE after are now obviously BIG games.

I though the Bills should have been running the ball a lot more in the second half. Ran well on opening drive in 3rd quarter and then it seemed like they got away from it. Both Marshawn and Fred were getting tough yards. The 3 consecutuve pass plays from their own 2 yard line was puzzling and so unlike Jauron. For a minute I thought I was watching the 1992 Houston Oilers.

Dolphins receivers were often wide open and Chad played quite well.

Trent was equally bad.

A couple times the Bills sent some heat on Chad and got to him. More often may have helped. Linebackers backing up from line of scrimmage on pass plays didn't seem to be much of a factor in coverage and McGee looked like a rookie out there.

The O-Line and Edwards lost us this game. I know I'm gonna get thrashed for calling out the golden child, but both of his fumbles are on him. Without 4 turnovers the dolphins don't score more than 16 points, an acceptable performance from our defense.

It "looked" bad seeing Ginn rack up yards on McGee but it never really hurt us, but if we can't score more than 16 points we're not winning many games anyways.

There's a lot I disagree with in this post.

1) You identify Edwards as one of the two main factors in this loss. I disagree with that. With little or no pass protection, a depleted receiving corps, a horrible game from Royal, and receivers who got outplayed by the Miami secondary, and some questionable play calling, how much opportunity do you feel Trent had, today, to win the game for us?

2) You state that the Dolphins wouldn't have scored more than 16 points if it hadn't been for the turnovers. That's not true. They scored 17 points off non-turnover drives. The offense handed them 2 points on the safety, and another three points in giving Miami the ball deep in Buffalo territory. So blame 5 Miami points on the Bills' offense. After the safety, Miami got the ball at its own 42, and drove to the Buffalo 16. The resulting FG is the fault of the Bills' defense, not the Bills' offense. The Bills' defense was responsible for 20 Miami points, the offense for the other 5.

3) You blame both Edwards' fumbles on him, and him alone. I'm with you on the first fumble, but you don't have a leg to stand on with respect to the second. It was a pass play. Between the two of them, Derrick Dockery and Jason Peters barely slowed Joey Porter down on his way to Edwards. Porter barely even broke stride. Edwards got hit from his blind side and fumbled as a result. Why do you place 100% of the blame for this on the quarterback? Don't you think that, just maybe, it would have been nice for Edwards to have received even a little blind-side protection on that play? Or do you think that even a minimal level of pass protection is just gravy, and that a real quarterback doesn't need any pass protection at all to make plays?

4) The Bills committed four turnovers in that game. Edwards' first fumble was obviously on Edwards. Edwards' second fumble was obviously on the offensive line. On the interception, the offensive line once again provided poor pass protection. Edwards got rid of the ball quickly like he was supposed to. But because the defender arrived in the backfield so quickly, Edwards got hit as he threw. The interception that was caused by the defender in the backfield was clearly the fault of the offensive line that let that defender arrive so quickly. Robert Royal's catch + fumble was obviously on Royal. Royal was to blame for just as many turnovers as Edwards (with a lot fewer touches). On a day when Josh Reed was out, Royal needed to come up big. Instead he had three dropped passes to go with his fumble/lost possession. Why no mention of him in your post?

5) You wrote that all those yards acquired by Ginn "didn't really hurt us." You're wrong. Ginn's 175 receiving yards altered field position, helped the Dolphins offense create 20 points, kept the Bills' offense off the field, etc.

is, we can't run the ball. Discuss.

no, it just seemed like Dick expected to loss , why didn't we go for two after Lynch's TD, that right there makes me really wonder about the Bills, wait maybe about the whole NFL... you tell me when in history has calls been so noticeably wrong now commmm-on really fans got to start realizing this......If we don't win one of our next two games ..it's a soon trip to the golf course just like past years........ ROYAL SHOULD BE GONE AFTER THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a lot I disagree with in this post.....

1. All those things you listed are reasons we didn't blow them out. In your mind erase each of those events from the game and realistically, do we win? Erase Trent's 3 turnovers, especially the 2 fumbles, and I am pretty certain we win the game. We were moving the ball effectively enough to win.

2. 4 of our last drives we handed the ball to the dolphins. Maybe I overstated that 16 points would win us the game without them, but we definitely would not have to have scored 26. There is no way you can put blame on the defense. They bent a lot, but certainly did not break at any point.

3. He is in his own endzone on third down with a blitz coming. HE HAS TO GET RID OF THE BALL. It would be nice if JP and DD held their end, regardless I think most people would be in agreement with me that Trent's timer needs to speed up in that situation, and it clearly did not. If anything, blame needs to go to the playcalling for not running the ball once in that possession.

4. My only disagreement is about the above fumble. Again though, we can still win with that pick and without josh reed - neither of those are reasons we flat out lost. Royal's fumble is a moot point, we weren't going to win at that point anyways. However, I would be happy to never see Royal downfield again.

5. Ginn had a great game and was really their only source of offense. Again, if our defense holds an opponent to 16-20 points, regardless of what fashion it happens, you can't put much blame on them. What I meant was it was much more painful to watch than it actually was. Think, would you rather keep the fumbles and Ginn gets 4 catches for 50 yds, or erase the fumbles and Ginn has the same day?

Everyone wanted my head on a platter when I said since week 1 we as a team cant run the football. Well looky here, week 8 and we still cant run the ball.

You're joking, right? Up until the Bills gave up on the run for no reason, after the Lynch TD, they were straight up dominating the run game. The Dolphins were getting embarrassed on that TD drive. Now, why the Bills abandoned that game plan right after it was so successful is beyond me, but don't tell me you that what you took away from this game is that we can;t run the ball. There was plenty to take away from the game, but not that.