The Cowpies Woes. Who's to Blame?

Steely Dan

The Cowpies Suck.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. The main reason the Cowpies suck is...

• Wade Phillips
    • Jerry Jones
    • Someone else (please explain)

I like Wade. I think he kind of got effed in Buffalo. If he had fired his ST coach he would have been around a lot longer. He's the last Bills HC to take them to a playoff game and if not for the "homerun throw forward" they would have made it to the next round.

IMO, people are putting way to much blame on Wade for the problems in Dallas. He's not the one who put Brad Johnson on the roster as backup QB. Jones makes those decisions. I'm not sure if Jones is playing the media and getting them to blame Phillips rather than him or if the media is doing this by themselves but it still sucks.

If Jauron left tomorrow I'd take Wade back in a heartbeat for this team. No HC can do a lot when JJ is running the show. Wade got them to the playoffs by winning the NFC East last year so why is he the problem now?

Lindy's pre-season magazine called him the Rodney Dangerfield of HC's and I think that's spot on!

I like Wade. I think he kind of got effed in Buffalo. If he had fired his ST coach he would have been around a lot longer. He's the last Bills HC to take them to a playoff game and if not for the "homerun throw forward" they would have made it to the next round.

IMO, people are putting way to much blame on Wade for the problems in Dallas. He's not the one who put Brad Johnson on the roster as backup QB. Jones makes those decisions. I'm not sure if Jones is playing the media and getting them to blame Phillips rather than him or if the media is doing this by themselves but it still sucks.

If Jauron left tomorrow I'd take Wade back in a heartbeat for this team. No HC can do a lot when JJ is running the show. Wade got them to the playoffs by winning the NFC East last year so why is he the problem now?

Lindy's pre-season magazine called him the Rodney Dangerfield of HC's and I think that's spot on!

I like Wade as a person but I wouldn't have him back. Not that he's a bad coach but I don't think he's all that great either. I think he's a an example of a great coordinator that is one rung short of head coach material. Is it his fault Dallas is a mess? No. That's Jerry Jones mixing that cocktail. But Wade seems to be overwhelmed by it all. When you have a crazy hands-on owner, it's damn near impossible to be successful. Makes me appreciate Ralphie. He gets a bad rap but he pretty much lets you do your job if he thinks you have some idea of what you're doing.

PTR

I like Wade as a person but I wouldn't have him back. Not that he's a bad coach but I don't think he's all that great either. I think he's a an example of a great coordinator that is one rung short of head coach material. Is it his fault Dallas is a mess? No. That's Jerry Jones mixing that cocktail. But Wade seems to be overwhelmed by it all. When you have a crazy hands-on owner, it's damn near impossible to be successful. Makes me appreciate Ralphie. He gets a bad rap but he pretty much lets you do your job if he thinks you have some idea of what you're doing.

PTR

I think Wade is a fine coach and a very good HC...until the s#it gets weird. Now, he has been in a couple of situations where, partially due to the meddling of his owner, the s#it got weird.

When left to handle everything his way, I think Wade does quite well. He had the team better coached, and more down to earth, than it was under Big Fat Tuna.

The Boys biggest issue, right now, is injuries. You can't blame those on Wade or Jerry.

I think Wade is a fine coach and a very good HC...until the s#it gets weird. Now, he has been in a couple of situations where, partially due to the meddling of his owner, the s#it got weird.

When left to handle everything his way, I think Wade does quite well. He had the team better coached, and more down to earth, than it was under Big Fat Tuna.

The Boys biggest issue, right now, is injuries. You can't blame those on Wade or Jerry.

No, but I can blame Jones for not stocking the team with competent backups. Brad Johnson was a good-great QB in his prime but at 40 years old he's not gonna cut it. Brett Favre is 38? and he is head and shoulders above what Johnson ever was. You can't polish a turd.

I guarantee you if Phillips had much say at all in the roster signings Johnson wouldn't be Romo's backup.

No, but I can blame Jones for not stocking the team with competent backups. Brad Johnson was a good-great QB in his prime but at 40 years old he's not gonna cut it. Brett Favre is 38? and he is head and shoulders above what Johnson ever was. You can't polish a turd.

I guarantee you if Phillips had much say at all in the roster signings Johnson wouldn't be Romo's backup.

Brad Johnson was good at best in his prime. Its ridiculius that he is still playingat his age. He was way over the hill 7 years ago.

I believe it's a younger version of the Al Davis-led circus. The point about meddling owners is well taken. You wanna be the coach? Be the coach. If not, shaddap, get back into the suite, and chase the waitress around the room. Churchill badgered, distracted and overrode his generals to the point of exasperation. Jones (and Davis) must be similarly horrific in nature. Just not as eloquent.

At the end of it all, I don't care who takes the blame. The Cowboys cannot - can NOT - lose enough to make me happy. It almost makes it worth watching that nano-brained Emmitt Smith just to watch him wince when the subject of his beloved 'Boys comes up.

I like Wade. I think he kind of got effed in Buffalo. If he had fired his ST coach he would have been around a lot longer.

That's really not true. Ralph was set to bring Donahoe in, Donahoe didn't want Wade as his head coach-all you have to do is look at the quotes from Donahoe & Gregg Williams to see how poorly Donahoe thought of Wade-so Ralph did the dirty work to save Donahoe from coming in & firing the head coach. The insubordination crap was just Ralph trying to get out of paying Wade. No matter how you cut it, Wade was done the minute Donahoe was picked-which while technically was after Wade got fired, was de-facto before Wade was fired.

That's really not true. Ralph was set to bring Donahoe in, Donahoe didn't want Wade as his head coach-all you have to do is look at the quotes from Donahoe & Gregg Williams to see how poorly Donahoe thought of Wade-so Ralph did the dirty work to save Donahoe from coming in & firing the head coach. The insubordination crap was just Ralph trying to get out of paying Wade. No matter how you cut it, Wade was done the minute Donahoe was picked-which while technically was after Wade got fired, was de-facto before Wade was fired.

I'm not as sure as you are but that might have had something to do with it.

It's obvious that meddlesome owners like Jones screw things up at times, but greed usually wins more than loses.

Regarding Wade, he is definitely a good coach. You don't get two different teams to the playoffs, no matter how much talent they have, unless you are a good head coach. Look at all the examples we have seen of talented clubs that couldn't achieve what was expected of them. It happens every year. In some of those instances, it is the head coach's fault.

I can't believe I'm taking this position, because I never liked Phillips being HC of the Bills.

It's obvious that meddlesome owners like Jones screw things up at times, but greed usually wins more than loses.

Regarding Wade, he is definitely a good coach. You don't get two different teams to the playoffs, no matter how much talent they have, unless you are a good head coach. Look at all the examples we have seen of talented clubs that couldn't achieve what was expected of them. It happens every year. In some of those instances, it is the head coach's fault.

I can't believe I'm taking this position, because I never liked Phillips being HC of the Bills.

Look at Jeff Fisher in Nashville. He's had some horrid years but he's still there and doing really well this year.