Let Us Stop and Take This in for a Moment

mjbb64

While I never post, I have been a member of this board for years, and I read what you all have to say multiple times a day. That being said, I want to call to everyone's attention what we are currently witnessing. We need to all stop and reflect on the fact that after a long 12 years, since the day #12 retired, we can finally relax and put our search to rest. The day has finally come where we can once again say we have a franchise quarterback. This season has started off great and as the excitement continues to build, lets not forget about our decade-long struggle, a struggle that many thought would never end. What we as Bills fans now have is a great start and a 5-1 record; additionally, we have something far more important. What we have is a bonafide franchise quarterback, someone who will lead this franchise for the next ten years or more. Many quarterbacks have come and gone, many with false hopes that you and I have bought in to. I am not afraid to admit that I liked Losman; subsequently, I am also not afraid to admit that I was a little naive. Ever year I vest my hopes in a new passer, someone that promises to provide a great future for this team and city. They have never kept their promise, but I continued to look for positives in all of the candidates to turn this team around. I no longer have to look, the positives in Edwards should look obvious to all of us. We all watch the games, so there is no need for me to explain what I mean. The guy we have under center is someone we can all rally behind. He is someone that might just be that person to lead us to where we want to go, as a team and as fans. It has been a long time coming, and I can quite honestly say that we all deserve this. Ten years from now, when we are still reading this same board, remember the day you officially realized our long search had come to an end.

While I never post, I have been a member of this board for years, and I read what you all have to say multiple times a day. That being said, I want to call to everyone's attention what we are currently witnessing. We need to all stop and reflect on the fact that after a long 12 years, since the day #12 retired, we can finally relax and put our search to rest. The day has finally come where we can once again say we have a franchise quarterback. This season has started off great and as the excitement continues to build, lets not forget about our decade-long struggle, a struggle that many thought would never end. What we as Bills fans now have is a great start and a 5-1 record; additionally, we have something far more important. What we have is a bonafide franchise quarterback, someone who will lead this franchise for the next ten years or more. Many quarterbacks have come and gone, many with false hopes that you and I have bought in to. I am not afraid to admit that I liked Losman; subsequently, I am also not afraid to admit that I was a little naive. Ever year I vest my hopes in a new passer, someone that promises to provide a great future for this team and city. They have never kept their promise, but I continued to look for positives in all of the candidates to turn this team around. I no longer have to look, the positives in Edwards should look obvious to all of us. We all watch the games, so there is no need for me to explain what I mean. The guy we have under center is someone we can all rally behind. He is someone that might just be that person to lead us to where we want to go, as a team and as fans. It has been a long time coming, and I can quite honestly say that we all deserve this. Ten years from now, when we are still reading this same board, remember the day you officially realized our long search had come to an end.

You arent naive buddy. I love JP Losman for how much he loved Buffalo and the amount of effort he put in to being our guy. It didnt work out. I would love to see JP do well somewhere else because when he was here he wanted to be a Bill and tried hard. I can respect that.

That said, you make a good point.

Great post :wallbash:

It's been a long time coming......and well worth you coming out of the lurker closet to make special note of.

I'm not ready for the coronation yet especially with weather conditions and durability questions unanswered. I know how Kelly handled it let see what Trent does. That being said I feel good about this team overall mostly because the leadership positions are manned by guys with character and the coaching is solid. Just one fan's opinion.

You arent naive buddy. I love JP Losman for how much he loved Buffalo and the amount of effort he put in to being our guy. It didnt work out. I would love to see JP do well somewhere else because when he was here he wanted to be a Bill and tried hard. I can respect that.

That said, you make a good point.

Great post. I feel the same way. I was and still am a big Losman supporter. While I am disappointed that it didn't work out with him, I also hope he thrives on his next team. But Edwards is the real deal.

Well said. I think we have our quarterback situation set and hopefully Trent continues to stay healthy.

Good point.

I love Trent Edwards right now, but I have a little itch in the back of my mind. How's he gonna play in the second half of the year when the weather is less than desireable, and can he avoid the injury bug? I only worry about these things because he has given reason to. We'll see how it plays out.

It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing on my way back from the game. But, there are three things I need to see happen before I am completely, 100% doubt free that Trent is the guy and we should lock him up forever.

1) Win a playoff game

2) Win a game in the snow. And not just win. Laugh at the other QB who is freezing his ass off.

3) Hit a deep receiver in stride, whereas he doesn't have to slow down and is able to keep on into the endzone. I know this has been beaten to death because it's more about timing. I just want to see it to know that it's possible. I mean honestly, is it a coincidence that every time JP comes in he does it. Believe me, I wouldn't trade that deep bomb for what Trent brings, but I'm tired of hearing he can do it, I wanna see it

Ohh, it is funny how Bills fans are like the rejected high school girl that wants love....Always hoping that this next one won't let us down and for the last 12 years always having been let down. I like Trent, great player thus far.

The thing that is always surprising to me is that he has not even had a full season of starts, think about that for a minute, not even a whole season!!! Lots of potential with great confidence!

And why is he on the team? Because Marv wanted to draft him. Marv is the source of all good things.

And don't forget that Edwards was thought very highly of by George Seifert, a guy who knows a thing or two about QB's

There is the very good point about timing those deep bombs better though. Evans in his 4 short years has amassed more 70+ yard TD's than any other receiver since 2000. Most of those coming from JP (and I think one from Shane Matthews) But hes got time. I just am relishing the growth spurts this young team is hitting especially this year. If nothing else, its only improving which is more that we can say for some of the dark periods in the past.

Lets just hope for a health year, a strong finish and more maturity from all these guys because there is more potential in this team than I think any of us realize.

And isnt it nice to know that even a 6-4 finish from here on out takes us to an 11-5 record?

It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing on my way back from the game. But, there are three things I need to see happen before I am completely, 100% doubt free that Trent is the guy and we should lock him up forever.

1) Win a playoff game

2) Win a game in the snow. And not just win. Laugh at the other QB who is freezing his ass off.

3) Hit a deep receiver in stride, whereas he doesn't have to slow down and is able to keep on into the endzone. I know this has been beaten to death because it's more about timing. I just want to see it to know that it's possible. I mean honestly, is it a coincidence that every time JP comes in he does it. Believe me, I wouldn't trade that deep bomb for what Trent brings, but I'm tired of hearing he can do it, I wanna see it

1) He doesn't have to win a playoff game to be our guy, look around the league.

2) He has to laugh at the other QB before he is our guy?

3) Do you even watch the games? Wake up dude, he's hit Lee in stride more than once.

And don't forget that Edwards was thought very highly of by George Seifert, Bill Walsh a guy who knows a thing or two about QB's

There is the very good point about timing those deep bombs better though. Evans in his 4 short years has amassed more 70+ yard TD's than any other receiver since 2000. Most of those coming from JP (and I think one from Shane Matthews) But hes got time. I just am relishing the growth spurts this young team is hitting especially this year. If nothing else, its only improving which is more that we can say for some of the dark periods in the past.

Lets just hope for a health year, a strong finish and more maturity from all these guys because there is more potential in this team than I think any of us realize.

And isnt it nice to know that even a 6-4 finish from here on out takes us to an 11-5 record?

Fixed. :wallbash:

A bit melodramatic, but I feel ya. :wallbash:

I had the same reaction, I thought I was going to be reading the lyrics to a Journey song when I saw the title of the post.

And then instead of just saying Kelly it has to be ..."number 12"...oh the drama.

BTW with a loaded offense "number 12" lost all 4 superbowls.

If "number 12' couldn't manage a win with those weapons he didn't have the ability to win a superbowl, period.

He had the ideal situation , but surrounded by all-pros he still couldn't get it done.

No, I don't look for Edwards to be another Kelly, instead I want a QB that can win one.

I had the same reaction, I thought I was going to be reading the lyrics to a Journey song when I saw the title of the post.

And then instead of just saying Kelly it has to be ..."number 12"...oh the drama.

Nothing wrong with a little drama, I say. Maybe this is why mjbb64 has declined to post in the four years he's been a member here. :wallbash:

You think of the great SB winning teams, and they all have a great QB. Yeah, you can also get a Trent Dilfer, but the ones that come to mind are Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Young, Brady*. They don't do it alone, of course, but a team doesn't acquire that elite status without these guys.

I think this is the hope Bills fans are pinning on Trent. He's so good, so young that we dare to dream he's the guy we could build a dynasty around. That's a lot to lay on the man, but, so far, he's shown he can handle it.

"We want to develop a quality football team that is going to last. Our goal is to win the Super Bowl and win it again and again." -Marv Levy

Nothing wrong with a little drama, I say. Maybe this is why mjbb64 has declined to post in the four years he's been a member here. :wallbash:

You think of the great SB winning teams, and they all have a great QB. Yeah, you can also get a Trent Dilfer, but the ones that come to mind are Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Young, Brady*. They don't do it alone, of course, but a team doesn't acquire that elite status without these guys.

I think this is the hope Bills fans are pinning on Trent. He's so good, so young that we dare to dream he's the guy we could build a dynasty around. That's a lot to lay on the man, but, so far, he's shown he can handle it.

If the bills had one of those QBs in place of "number 12" they would have won at least one superbowl.

Great first post. Welcome!

I've been thinking about this as well. True, Trent hasn't even played a full season yet. But I see things in him that are much more polished than virtually any of the other young, up & coming QB's. Specifically, his maturity -which belies his 24 years. Seems like todays young QB's are so damn full of themselves they don't care what flows out of their disrespectful mouths and it transfers eventually into their play. I'm talking about Cutler and Rivers, but there are others. Brash and cocky, they invariably hurt their teams trying to force a play by their delusional sheer will. There is -at this time- no semblance of this in Edwards' demeanor, and it's much appreciated by this fan. -though I'm sure Robert Plant's buddy here would love to see this. In addition to being a sports figure the region can respect and be proud to have represent us, he likely won't be prone to try stupid plays which could hurt the team.

Can he play well in bad Buffalo weather? TBD. But I've seen enough to be convinced he's our guy.

Just once, I'd have liked to hear Jim Kelly speak publicly like Trent Edwards.

Ladies & gentlemen, Ernest Hemingway is officially a member of TSW.

We-e-e-elll.. la-de-freakin'-da! We've got ourselves a writer here! [ jumps across the room ] Hey, Dad, I can't see real good.. [ lifts his glasses off and on his face ] ..is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Good post. You know I was at that playoff game against Jacksonville when they carted Kelly off the field. After that game I was sad we lost the game but I was even more sad because I knew it was probably Kelly's last game. I remember what one of my friends told me(who was a giants fan) a few years back. He said "enjoy kelly while he is playing, because once you lose that franchise qb it is very tough to find another one. Not in my wildest dreams did I think it was going to take 12 years. & not in my worst case scenerios, did I think that jville game was going to be the last home playoff game this franchise had. I seen the unlimited potential in Edwards last year, as a few others did(Bill in NYC, Albany & a few others) & were ridiculled by some for saying benching Losman was the right way to go & Edwards has a bright future. I hope those people that wanted to stick with Losman see the errors of their ways. Anyways, the most exciting thing for me is that Edwards should only get better. I really think the sky is the limit with this guy.

1) Win a playoff game

He won a game in the snow against Miami last year.

You write like a genius, please post more often. :wallbash:

Yeah, Trent is the man.