Ko Simpson

BillsVet

Chris Brown notes that the Bills wanted to go big at SS in starting Bryan Scott, thus allowing Whitner to play FS. Given SD's size at TE with Gates and Manumaleuna, that's not surprising.

I have to wonder why Simpson wasn't on the field more in spite of SD's lineup. Earlier in the off-season there were reports Buffalo wanted to find a way to get Whitner playing FS. That's become reality, if only temporary.

Question is: Do the Bills continue going with Scott at SS and Whitner roaming at FS? And if so, are Simpson's starting days numbered?

I have to wonder why Simpson wasn't on the field more in spite of SD's lineup.

Chris Brown notes that the Bills wanted to go big at SS in starting Bryan Scott, thus allowing Whitner to play FS. Given SD's size at TE with Gates and Manumaleuna, that's not surprising.

The point is, in passing situations, your starting FS is not on the field.

And my question is, if Simpson is suiting up and not playing next week, is that an indication the staff feels a Scott/Whitner tandem is better than Simpson/Whitner.

Like DrDankenstein said, you answered your own question dude. It was all about game plan and not anything to do with Simpson's play. Bills wanted to match up Chargers big physical TE's with our bigger physical safeties. Simpson will be back in the starting lineup. Alot of people complained (and rightfully so) that Perry Fewell didnt make enough adjustments against the Cards. SO thats what he did and it worked.

And my question is, if Simpson is suiting up and not playing next week, is that an indication the staff feels a Scott/Whitner tandem is better than Simpson/Whitner.

you can look at it that way since you seem to be trying hard to.

i would tend to look at it like we are lucky enough to be deep with secondary talent. so much so that we can rotate different types of players in against different types of times. thus leading to more wins.

In many cases it was Scott/Wilson/Whitner. Whitner was the nickel back. I don't think Reggie Corner saw the field on D. It may also have been similar to the Youboty situation - Simpson's been dinged and since they didn't need him it was prudent not to put him out there.

To be honest, we placed Whitner in that Nickel Corner position (even though we played mostly zone), and had Wilson at FS, and Scott at SS in most all passing situations. It wasn't that they favored Scott over Simpson, it was they played Wilson over Simpson.

In many cases it was Scott/Wilson/Whitner. Whitner was the nickel back. I don't think Reggie Corner saw the field on D. It may also have been similar to the Youboty situation - Simpson's been dinged and since they didn't need him it was prudent not to put him out there.

Sorry, I didn't see your post, and basically said the same thing, I was just responding to the general tone of the first few posts.

The Bills brought in Marlon McCree in the offseason. He is the starting SS for the Broncoes now. If the Bills signed him Whitner would have moved over to FS and Simpson would have went to the bench. Whitner is a better player then Simpson and can play both positions. Simpson cannot play SS.

The Bills brought in Marlon McCree in the offseason. He is the starting SS for the Broncoes now. If the Bills signed him Whitner would have moved over to FS and Simpson would have went to the bench. Whitner is a better player then Simpson and can play both positions. Simpson cannot play SS.

The Bronco's D is absolutely terrible.

Ko was nursing a sore hammy all week.

That's the major reason Ko didn't see the field, on Sunday, IMO. The Bills secondary did a fine job with the players who were healthy. No need to rush a guy back onto the field, who could still use the rest.

Wasn't there just a shooting war on this board about how awesome or un-awesome Whitner was in coverage? So going against Antonio Gates, arguably the best TE in the game today, the Bills move Whitner to FS and play Scott on Gates.

...and used Donte as a deep safety, much of the game. Seemed to work pretty well.

That's the major reason Ko didn't see the field, on Sunday, IMO. The Bills secondary did a fine job with the players who were healthy. No need to rush a guy back onto the field, who could still use the rest.

Despite what the Bills are saying, I don't think it was Simpson's hammy which prevented him from playing. Why else would he be listed as "probable" on the injury report and then only play on special teams?

I could see him not getting as much PT if he were questionable. If Bryan Scott continues to get more PT, that tells me plenty about Simpson.

teams attemps SO FEW deep balls against us. i think that shows our safeties are very strong.

if leodis keeps stepping it up, youboty and mcgee comes back, then our nickle package will really put the hurt on guys.

He contributed on special teams — still does — and it's obvious he will remain a part of the defensive package after what happened Sunday.

Take it for what it is worth, but this is Sal M's perspective in today's D&C. I happen to agree. How can you not use a package that was extremely successful? Scott estimates he was in on about 50% of the snaps. Some games it might be 15%, others 65%...we'll see, but that's my feeling.

BTW...I would expect to see him at the high end vs. the pats*.

D&C link

Despite what the Bills are saying, I don't think it was Simpson's hammy which prevented him from playing. Why else would he be listed as "probable" on the injury report and then only play on special teams?

I could see him not getting as much PT if he were questionable. If Bryan Scott continues to get more PT, that tells me plenty about Simpson.

I would hope that Scott earned more PT, based on last week's performance. That's how guys get the opportunity to get game PT...make some plays when given the opportunity.

I would say that there was more at play than Simpson's injury, and Fewell's desire to put a big DB on Gates, if Scott starts over Simpson in the coming weeks.