Wall St. Journal Article Claims Bills Fans are Some of the Worst Behav

yall

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say our behavior makes us the worst, I say it makes us the best. We are Rowdy, we are loud, and we are into our game. Watching a Jets game at the super LAME Giants stadium is like watching a Dog Show. Tailgating and Beer are as much a part of football as the field. NFL, embrace it dont eliminate it.

I have never had a problem at a Bills game but I'm also always "on-guard." I don't live there anymore but when I go back, I'd love to take my daughter. Odds are that I won't, for a long time, because people are such dickheads. I have been to Eagles games and find that in the new stadium, the behavior is better than at the Vet.

I wouldn't wear another team's colors in either place. It's one thing for people to give you a little razzing; it's an entirely different thing to throw things, curse, etc. If you ever want to feel what a good atmosphere is, go to a big-time NCAA football game. The tailgating is great fun--great CIVILIZED fun. The atmosphere inside is as electric as any Bills game. And somehow, people get along without being knuckledragging morons.

So getting drunk at a football is now immoral and classless?! well sh*t i guess half of america is the anti-christ now

I think the better question is why would anyone want to "drink to get drunk" and then try to watch a football game in the first place? Seems like a colossal waste of time and money to me.

I think the better question is why would anyone want to "drink to get drunk" and then try to watch a football game in the first place? Seems like a colossal waste of time and money to me.

So are a lot of things, including posting on internet message boards, but we do it anyway.

GO BILLS!

So are a lot of things, including posting on internet message boards, but we do it anyway.

GO BILLS!

I tend to think of it more along the lines of my favorite film, "The Hustler". Two guys play a big money pool game. When the stakes get real high, one guy asks for a bottle of whisky and a glass w/ ice in it. The other guy asks for a bottle of whisky, no glass, no ice. Both of them drink heavily during that game, but one of them, the one who asked for the glass w/ ice, walks away w/ all of the cash @ the end of the game.

How does that equate to this discussion? It is possible to drink and not drink to the point of nausea. It's possible to enjoy many alcoholic beverages and yet still be aware enough to actually watch a game and know what's going on. I go to games and tailgate and drink as much as anyone, but I don't go there looking to drink a certain amount or to try to drink faster than anyone. By the end of the day, I've enjoyed not only the alcohol, but also the game.

I tend to think of it more along the lines of my favorite film, "The Hustler". Two guys play a big money pool game. When the stakes get real high, one guy asks for a bottle of whisky and a glass w/ ice in it. The other guy asks for a bottle of whisky, no glass, no ice. Both of them drink heavily during that game, but one of them, the one who asked for the glass w/ ice, walks away w/ all of the cash @ the end of the game.

How does that equate to this discussion? It is possible to drink and not drink to the point of nausea. It's possible to enjoy many alcoholic beverages and yet still be aware enough to actually watch a game and know what's going on. I go to games and tailgate and drink as much as anyone, but I don't go there looking to drink a certain amount or to try to drink faster than anyone. By the end of the day, I've enjoyed not only the alcohol, but also the game.

Its this kind of logic and rational thinking that seems to be lost by the "its my right to drink til I puke on you" crowd.

As with R.Rich I enjoyed going to games, having a few (and sometimes a few too many) drinks, but I always knew that my behavior should affect me and not all of those around me.

There is a new (lower) class of fan that seems to becoming more and more prevalent. And this new fan seems proud of themselves and their "right" to ruin the experience for others so long as they are having a good time.

ME ME ME

And don't give me there have always been fans like this crap. There may have been, but the number was smaller and the ridicule of those fans was greater.

What I find hilarious here are two things:

1). People who say, don't go to the game if you don't expect to encounter obscenely drunk, violent people, vomiting and urinating in the stands, throwing things at opposing fans and screaming obscenities at insane volumes.

2). People who say if you are subjected specifically to the behavior mentioned above, you shouldn't have shown up wearing the wrong color shirt.

The argument that kids/other fans/non drunks/people with some self dignity are not welcome at the stadium because the drunks rule the roost is sickening to me.

I have been to a number of other stadiums, none of which I would refuse to go back to, however, I live in Buffalo and am a former season ticket holder, yet I no longer go to games at the Ralph.

Your purchase of a $60 ticket, to me, does not give you or ANYONE the right to assault other people, physically or verbally, regardless of the color shirt they are wearing (as an aside how many of these RWS thugs would be up here screaming for the death penalty if a friend of theirs was injured in a "gang assualt").

You also do not have the RIGHT to piss in front of me, throw up on me or fall on top of me in the stands from 2 rows up because you are too drunk to stand.

At this point, the game itself is no longer enough motivation to counter the quality of many of the people I am there watching it with.

you're a joke. you are obviously not a true bills fan! :(

No argument from me, that's the way it should be done and that's the way I do it.

Go Bills!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122393578191630373.html

Mark Yost penned an article about how the Eagles are combating rowdy fans. One of the methods mentioned was a text message system, similar to the rowdy-fan hotline in place at the Ralph. Of course Yost takes the opportunity to slam the Bills a bit, by making it not only appear that the Bills have no such system in place (they do - the hotline), but by making the claim that Bills fans are "some of the worst-behaving fans in all of sports."

I would like to know by what metric we are being judged that makes us the worst. Does he simply have the opinion that we are amongst the worst? Is he basing this on arrest reports, surveys, NFL statistics? It reeks of poor research, also evidenced by the fact that he got some dates wrong too.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we are a rowdy bunch, but if a national publication going to assert that we are among the worst when it comes to behavior, I think t should be backed up by facts.

I agree with this. It should not be acceptable behavior to get drunk and be a complete !@#$ to opposing fans. Have a drink, enjoy the game, cheer hard but be civil. Just so you know being a drunk !@#$ bills fan does not make you a great fan. It makes you an !@#$ who chears for the Bills. In Indy we razz opposing fans but in a way that is much like yu razz your best friends. We then tell these fans where go to dinner and what to do in the city. And you can think that is dumb but it is no wonder why we host events like the Final Four and Superbowl. Now 97% of fans in Buffalo are great fans but the 3% are giving true Bills fans a really bad name.

I agree with this. It should not be acceptable behavior to get drunk and be a complete !@#$ to opposing fans. Have a drink, enjoy the game, cheer hard but be civil. Just so you know being a drunk !@#$ bills fan does not make you a great fan. It makes you an !@#$ who chears for the Bills. In Indy we razz opposing fans but in a way that is much like yu razz your best friends. We then tell these fans where go to dinner and what to do in the city. And you can think that is dumb but it is no wonder why we host events like the Final Four and Superbowl. Now 97% of fans in Buffalo are great fans but the 3% are giving true Bills fans a really bad name.

Give me a break buddy. You ever think that you get to host final fours because the NCAA headquarters is located in Indianapolis & the city had the foresight to build a dome stadium that could seat 60K fans for a basketball game. The only reason your getting the super bowl is because you built a magnificent state of the art new Dome that is 2nd to none(until Dallas opens their's next year) & the city was basically promised a Super Bowl if they could get a new dome built. I guaranty you will not get another one there. It has nothing to do with what kind of fans you are.

I will say this about the Ralph. Obviously we do have more then our fair share of drunken idiots there. But, it is one of the last few stadiums in the NFL where they have not priced out the average diehard fan. I went to the indy/bills game at the RCA dome a few years ago. It was like you were at a funeral. If that is what you call a good game day atmosphere, I will take a few drunken idiots & the gameday atmosphere at the Ralph anyday.

If my only Bills games had been in the "cheap seats," I'd probably agree with the writer. But since moving to the sidelines, can't say as I ever remember a fight in my current section. Some back-and-forth smack talk with opposing fans, sure, but nothing that remotely resembled some of the crap I saw during my only season in Section 221.

I will say this, though: while I haven't been on nearly as many road trips as some of you, I have visited a few other NFL stadiums ... and I have yet to see someone drink to the point of passing out at any of them.

I will say this, though: while I haven't been on nearly as many road trips as some of you, I have visited a few other NFL stadiums ... and I have yet to see someone drink to the point of passing out at any of them.

Shirley, you've been to the swamp... and I'm not referring to the multitude of Bills' drunks in the crowd.

If my only Bills games had been in the "cheap seats," I'd probably agree with the writer. But since moving to the sidelines, can't say as I ever remember a fight in my current section. Some back-and-forth smack talk with opposing fans, sure, but nothing that remotely resembled some of the crap I saw during my only season in Section 221.

I agree with this post. I even said in an earlier post I do not see the drinking going on in the other stadiums I have went to like I do at the Ralph. Walk around the stadium before gameday, & every single person at the Ralph pretty much has some kind of acholic beverage in their hand.

With that being said, sitting in sec 109, I do not see the chaos everybody claims. Everybody pretty much is a season ticketholder, everybody knows everybody in the section & it is the same people at the games every week. I guess my point is if you do not want to take a chance in dealing with the rift raft, try to get seats in the lower bowl between the 20s.

I agree with this post. I even said in an earlier post I do not see the drinking going on in the other stadiums I have went to like I do at the Ralph. Walk around the stadium before gameday, & every single person at the Ralph pretty much has some kind of acholic beverage in their hand.

With that being said, sitting in sec 109, I do not see the chaos everybody claims. Everybody pretty much is a season ticketholder, everybody knows everybody in the section & it is the same people at the games every week. I guess my point is if you do not want to take a chance in dealing with the rift raft, try to get seats in the lower bowl between the 20s.

I sat in the 300's on the Miami sideline 2 years ago and it was pretty piss poor. There were a few Dolphin fans who sat there and got abused. I dont know why they stayed they whole game. The yellow shirts must have chucked about 5 people from our section. All Bills fans.

To make it worse at half time i go to grab a beer and a kid who couldnt have been more than 13-14 was walking through the crowd wearing a Culpepper jersey until a circle formed around him and started pointing and chanting ASSH@LE.

That is classless. period. I live in South Florida and go to the Bills/fins game every year and have never encountered that. I have almost gotten into fights but someone always walks away. And of course there is trash talk. but its some what civil if thats possible.