I was watching Boomer and Wyche on the NFL channel

Tipster19

Ouch! This was on the episode of the 1988 Lost Rings. When they were concluding the highlights of the '88 season/play-offs, the Bengals were facing the Seahawks and that was when Joe Nash was faking being hurt so they could slow down the no huddle. This was when Boomer said that at least they were doing it on the field and not like other team(s) who were trying to do it in the Commissioner's office and then use it and go to four Super Bowls. Then Wyche went on and said that we used it the next year and that's when we (the Bills) "invented" the no huddle. As Wyche was saying this they were showing him in the pregame warm-ups spouting about how our coach should be ashame of himself. He did conclude that Marv and him are good friends to this day and that he kids him about it.

I guess that if I were a Bengals' fan I would feel the same way but it still was embarrassing to hear the way they sneered about it. Wyche should be grateful that he was given a job after the way he had a melt down as a coach in Cincinatti and in Tampa. As for Boomer, I never did much like that jerk when he played in Cincinatti or in New York even though he was a good QB.

Boy that's ignorant. Just because it was unstoppable and hung a lot of points on people, they bash it? They should check themselves and bash themselves for not finding a way to stop it. You can't tell me if you had an offense or defense that had an unstoppable scheme, that you wouldn't use it. Ridiculous.

Is it odd that Boomer wouldn't know, and Wyche wouldn't admit, the differences in the Cincy and Buffalo "no huddle?.

Wyche used the no-huddle, primarily, as a way to catch other teams with too many men on the field (if my recollection is correct). They were using it to force penalties. If I'm not mistaken, it is against the rules (and the spirit) of the game, to attempt to draw the other team into penalties.

The Bills used it, primarily, as a way to push the pace of the game, and keep the defense from substituting players, based on down and distance (and fatigue).

The Colts use it, and do not push pace, at all, for the most part.

To confuse the Bills' no huddle, with the Bengals' no huddle with the Colts' no huddle, is naive, and both Berman and Wyche should know better.

IIRC the reason the Bills went to the Commissioner's office is because the Bengals weren't using the no-huddle as a legitimate offensive weapon, but rather a gimmick to get defensive penalties for too many men. IOW, they would substitute personnel, and then quickly run up to the line and snap the ball while the defense was still making changes. Here is an article consistent with my recollection:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A96F948260

The rules were clarified to require the offense give the defense ample time to substitute if the offense changes personnel. I can't even count how many times I saw Kelly running the no-huddle and just standing there waiting for the defense to get their personnel on the field and lined up before he called for the snap. That's much easier to see from in the stands than it is on TV.

Is it odd that Boomer wouldn't know, and Wyche wouldn't admit, the differences in the Cincy and Buffalo "no huddle?.

Wyche used the no-huddle, primarily, as a way to catch other teams with too many men on the field (if my recollection is correct). They were using it to force penalties. If I'm not mistaken, it is against the rules (and the spirit) of the game, to attempt to draw the other team into penalties.

The Bills used it, primarily, as a way to push the pace of the game, and keep the defense from substituting players, based on down and distance (and fatigue).

To confuse the Bills' no huddle, with the Bengals' no huddle with the Colts' no huddle, is naive, and both Berman and Wyche should know better.

When I said Boomer, I meant Norman "Boomer" Esiason the Bengals' QB.

I really dont care who invented it or used it first. Football is a copycat game. One team does something that works for them, and other teams try to immitate that. They either tweak it and make it work with better personell, or it flops and they move onto something else. This happens at all levels of the sport, and anyone who's ever watched the game knows that.

IIRC the reason the Bills went to the Commissioner's office is because the Bengals weren't using the no-huddle as a legitimate offensive weapon, but rather a gimmick to get defensive penalties for too many men. IOW, they would substitute personnel, and then quickly run up to the line and snap the ball while the defense was still making changes. Here is an article consistent with my recollection:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A96F948260

The rules were clarified to require the offense give the defense ample time to substitute if the offense changes personnel. I can't even count how many times I saw Kelly running the no-huddle and just standing there waiting for the defense to get their personnel on the field and lined up before he called for the snap. That's much easier to see from in the stands than it is on TV.

Right. Of course, the Bills would sometimes run it at such a fast pace (early on), that defensive substitutions were rare. Later on, they ran it more slowly.

I think this is another example of Marv's genius. After complaining, he probably said, "This is effective. Perhaps we can use what is good with this offense, and have it be legal." Just my guess, of course.

boomer refers to boomer esieson (sp) former bengals qb

Teams often line up as if they are going for it on fourth down to draw a penalty on the defense.

IIRC, the defense can only be allowed to make substitutions if the offense does. If a team huddles but makes no substitutions the D still can if the time allows them to. The Bills no huddle was so great because they didn't need to make substitutions in big part because of McKeller who put the K in K-gun. His abilities kept the team from having to make substitutions.

IIRC this was called the "sugar huddle" - where 12-14 guys would be in the huddle near the line of scrimmage, then some would run off and they'd line up and run the play. Totally different than our no-huddle.

And which is now a penalty....you can't break the huddle with more than 11 players - you get an illegal substitution penalty.

Hey Dean, I think they were talking 'bout Boomer Esiason, not Chris Berman.

:thumbdown:

Did you know that Dick Jauron played football in the NFL and that the Bills drafted Ernie Davis?