HORRIBLE ECONOMY AND FINANCIAL MELTDOWN COULD KEEP BILLS IN BUFFALO

Reading my favorite thursday afternoon column JAMBOROO over at deadspin..

He has an interesting take on new stadiums and public money etc..

http://deadspin.com/5060991/goodbye-public...featuring-joose

In addition to blaming others for the downfall of the country, there’s one other thing that can help us all feel better, and that is reveling in the financial misfortune of others. Sure, I’m going broke. But at least some cocky trader !@#$faces are getting dumped by their shallow, horrible trophy fiancees. That makes me feel better. I’m also heartened to know that, now that the economy is the way it is, the party is !@#$ing over for publicly financed stadiums.

By my count, there are five NFL franchises currently trying to get new stadiums for themselves: the Saints, Bills, 49ers, Chargers, and Vikings. You could maybe add the Jags, Redskins, Rams, and Raiders to this list. But the first five teams are the ones really desperate for new, high-revenue digs.

And guess what, Mr. Spanos, and Mr. Wilf, and Ms. York, and Mr. Wilson, and Mr. Rosenbloom? YOU AREN’T GETTING sh--.

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

Two things:

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by TBD.

Quoting an excerpt is cool. Cutting and pasting the entire piece is not.

And the writer is wrong anyway, because Wilson isn't asking for a new stadium. In fact, he has said that a new stadium wouldn't make any difference, because there aren't enough corporate types in the area to fill the skyboxes.

On the other hand, if the current economic downturn bites Ted Rogers (and others like him) in the behind, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for fans of the BUFFALO Bills.

The stadium thing is a factor because there aren't many empty NFL-calibre stadiums sitting around, and nobody's going ot get the funding to build one.

Furthermore, when billionaires buy teams, its usually financed by a big fat chunk of debt. Nobody but nobody is handing out credit in the hundreds of millions right now, so unless someone is willing to buy a franchise in a pure cash/stock deal, a purchase price is going to be much lower...which can probably only help the local prospects

That article loses credibility by saying the Skins want a new stadium - didn't FedEx field open sometime this decade, with tons of luxury boxes and the highest seating capacity in the NFL?

1997, but close enough.

That article loses credibility by saying the Skins want a new stadium - didn't FedEx field open sometime this decade, with tons of luxury boxes and the highest seating capacity in the NFL?

The foreskins are looking to get a new stadium. Yes, they built one in 1998, but it is in Maryland, not in the district. The Nationals just built a park down in Anacostia, and Synder has had preliminary discussions with city officials about building one in the district.

I went to the stadium for the bills preseason game, and I have to say, I was not impressed. I thought the stadium was a dump for something that is less than 10 years old. Moreover, they have seats behind large concrete pillars, PILLARS people! They call them "obstructed view seating" right on the tickets. I thought they did away with this stuff in the 1940s and 50s.

The stadium was built before Snyder bought the team, and even though they have the best revenue streams bar none in the NFL (Cowboys will pass them with their new stadium), Snyder still wants to milk as much money out of stadium revenue as possible. I also know FedEx field also gets labeled as the worst fan friendly stadium consistently almost every year. Hence, new stadium talks.

I claim no expertise on this, but there is no copyright notice on that page. So isn't it fair game?

When someone creates original content, copyright is presumed even if there's no circle-c at the bottom.

Gotta run -- I have a game to cover at 4 -- but I'll dig up the pertinent info when I get back.

I hope Jerry Jones goes broke trying to finance his new stadium. Same for Bob Kraft and Patriot Place. The economic meltdown is sure to lower NFL franchise prices. Further no one will be able to borrow the money for the team and a new stadium somewhere else like L.A., unless a new owner is prepared to write a check for everything themselves.

PTR

hmmm i have a crapload of money in school loans still building up....have no job and no money invested...im totally ok with the markets going to crap, maybe sallie mae will fold and ill get my medschool education for free!!....hey, if the bills get saved ill be ok with it... 0:) ...ok sorry...please dont flame me for that