Need some help

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you like to have fun of me and my country here and well you're sometimes right!! But as some of you know, even if i like to critic the american way once in a while here, i defend the USA and the americans everyday in that champion land of anti americanism that is France. Always saying to ignorant fellow frenchmen to not judge the US by what they see on TV, by what they hear in the media, telling them to cross the Pond just to see what the USA really are... etc.... but well this time i need your help because i have NO argument to answer to that question i hear ad nauseam here for 24 hours: "How stupid americans are that they could elect a VP that believes men and dinosaurs lived together on this planet 6,000 years ago?"

Personally, I'd recommend taking the angle "That's the great thing about America...even if your ideas are based in complete idiocy, you still have the right to have them and pursue the same opportunities as everyone else."

On a more factual basis...there's a distinct anti-science undercurrent to American culture. Evolution vs. Creationism is one of the more obvious manifestations...but it's pretty much a constant theme. You can't even go in to a grocery store without being bombarded by it.

Well, you like to have fun of me and my country here and well you're sometimes right!! But as some of you know, even if i like to critic the american way once in a while here, i defend the USA and the americans everyday in that champion land of anti americanism that is France. Always saying to ignorant fellow frenchmen to not judge the US by what they see on TV, by what they hear in the media, telling them to cross the Pond just to see what the USA really are... etc.... but well this time i need your help because i have NO argument to answer to that question i hear ad nauseam here for 24 hours: "How stupid americans are that they could elect a VP that believes men and dinosaurs lived together on this planet 6,000 years ago?"

Well mon frere, how stupid, indeed? Stupidity and ignorance are 2 different things. Palin may or may not belive men and dinosaurs coexisted. Right now we are getting that information from carefully selected media excerpts. And remember, this year's "scientific proof" can easily be a "scientific joke" 50 years from now. Only a short while ago, the most learned scientists of their day firmly believed that the sun revolved around the earth. We discover things that contradict previously held beliefs. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if scientists one day discover proof that "men" and dinosaurs did indeed, coexist. That is if the scientific community can ever come up with a definition of "man".

Reagan said trees emit more carbon monoxide than cars - it didn't hurt his election chances. Fact is there are many Americans who are stupid and ignorant and probably saw the move 1,000,000 BC or whatever it was, and believed it.

The fact that GWBush got not one, but two, terms is testimony to the general stupidity that seems boundless in this country.

Reagan said trees emit more carbon monoxide than cars - it didn't hurt his election chances. Fact is there are many Americans who are stupid and ignorant and probably saw the move 1,000,000 BC or whatever it was, and believed it.

The fact that GWBush got not one, but two, terms is testimony to the general stupidity that seems boundless in this country.

If stupidity means NOT voting for Gore or Kerry, then I'll take a heaping spoonful.

Seriously, NO ONE but the Democratic party bears blame for losing to Bush...TWICE.

There is a big anti-science movement in Europe with all the Frankenfood scare. Meanwhile they all smoke like chimneys. :lol:

The difference is that most of the smokers understand that it is bad for their health. They've accepted the medical evidence but continue to smoke, understanding the consequences.

I too have many friends who wonder how stupid Frenchmen can be to elect a President that believes that some old guy in a big hat living in the Vatican is the direct infallible messenger of God. They find it quite backwards, in this day and age, that the French would elect a man who advocates bringing religious education back into the schools.

What should I tell them?

Personally, I'd recommend taking the angle "That's the great thing about America...even if your ideas are based in complete idiocy, you still have the right to have them and pursue the same opportunities as everyone else."

On a more factual basis...there's a distinct anti-science undercurrent to American culture. Evolution vs. Creationism is one of the more obvious manifestations...but it's pretty much a constant theme. You can't even go in to a grocery store without being bombarded by it.

He when you see french elections results, no problem, we have our fair share of complete idiocy here too (from Le Pen to about 15% of REAL communists and associates)... but at least those guys are never in position to win the elections!!

well that's the other problem... i can not show the former elections and say "well it's just ths year usually they vote for the smart guy!"

I too have many friends who wonder how stupid Frenchmen can be to elect a President that believes that some old guy in a big hat living in the Vatican is the direct infallible messenger of God. They find it quite backwards, in this day and age, that the French would elect a man who advocates bringing religious education back into the schools.

What should I tell them?

That you can not find a democratic country on this planet (and this is probably one of the only great things France has acheived) that is more seculiar and anti religious than France. And that Sarkozy, as religious as he can be himself will not change that .

With about 80% of frenchmen that are non believers or at least that never go to any church, if there's a place where religion has no (or very few) influence on public life this is it. (and religious education has been out of school since 1905 and will not come back, more than 90% of frenchmen is against it)

well that's the other problem... i can not show the former elections and say "well it's just ths year usually they vote for the smart guy!"

Perhaps if the Democrats had put up a decent candidate against Bush they would have won. Instead, they continued their tradition of puttingup out-of-tough elitists that have no clue about reality. The only reason their current elitist candidate will win is because:

A) Bush mangled things so badly and

B) McCain is a tool and a half.

Reagan said trees emit more carbon monoxide than cars - it didn't hurt his election chances.

Exactly. It didn't hurt him because he ran against two commies like Carter and Mondale. It won't hurt Palin either because Biden is not only a commie but also a former hippy commie. Case closed.

That you can not find a democratic country on this planet (and this is probably one of the only great things France has acheived) that is more seculiar and anti religious than France. And that Sarkozy, as religious as he can be himself will not change that .

Sadly this lack of belief makes your country prone to zealots of any type, religious or otherwise. When you are trampled by Mormons it will be hard to "reason with them" about secular things. Why will it be hard? Because you can't talk too much when your head is rolling down the street or boulevard or whatever you call them in France.

Sadly this lack of belief makes your country prone to zealots of any type, religious or otherwise. When you are trampled by Mormons it will be hard to "reason with them" about secular things. Why will it be hard? Because you can't talk too much when your head is rolling down the street or boulevard or whatever you call them in France.

But in fact there is no "lack of belief"... the true religion of France is "Republicanism", lot of frenchmen are zealots of the holy Republic, believing the French Republic can do anything for them, is the root of all the good things that may happen to them and protects them from everything... Secularity (is that the correct word?) is one of the cardinal rule of the Holy Republic along with Equality and High Taxation!! :rolleyes: