Would Marv Return as GM of the Bills?

He undoubtedly never will come back as GM. Why? Because there are too many non-football aspects of the job, he made that very clear when he retired the last time.

Didn't they divide up the front office after 2005? Didn't Ralph divide it up into business operations and football operations? Ralph said he'd given too much power to Donahoe while he was here and wanted to end that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on, you honestly think Donahoe did a better job in the draft room than Marv Levy?

Is that what I said? No. For better or worse, Donahoe was certainly more involved than Levy on draft day, which is what I thought you meant by "Marv did bring more oversight into the draft."

Perhaps you want to reword that statement.

Is that what I said? No. For better or worse, Donahoe was certainly more involved than Levy on draft day, which is what I thought you meant by "Marv did bring more oversight into the draft."

What I meant by more oversight was that in Marv's press conference when he was introduced as GM, he said he wanted to build a more "consensus" model within the front office. So instead of one guy just running the show, he wanted to get everyones input before making a decision. At least that's what he said. So I'm sure he made sure they were drafting the right guys and not just aimlessly drafting a bunch of players like most of Donahoe's drafts seem to look like.

Guest dog14787
Marv built most of the current nucleus, but you need to build more than one nucleus in order to remain a perennial contender. You need a constant influx of talent. I don't think Russ Brandon will be a bad GM for the Bills, at least not Donahoe bad, but I'm more confident in Marv's GM abilities at this point. Can't Ralph Wilson convince him to sign another contract as GM of the Buffalo Bills? I would have loved to see where Marv was going with this team under his guide.

Anyways, does anyone see Marv possibly returning as GM of the Bills?

No, he hated it, Marv did a good jod, but he hated it. :w00t:

Looking back on it now though, considering our teams success Levy must feel some sense of accomplishment and he should be very proud of himself.

I'm sure proud of our Buffalo Bills :thumbdown:

Lori...do what I did...use the ignore...the world is a better place afterwards....

Let me try this again: IT WAS MARV'S DECISION TO LEAVE. He didn't need a fatter contract, and at 82, he didn't need any more of the long hours required of the position, or the office work he didn't enjoy.

He's 82, and he's back home in Chicago writing a novel, something he's always wanted to do.

Serious question - do you think he might have stayed if he was HC instead of GM? I'm not complaining about the guy he hired as HC - I like Jauron a lot and think he's 'in the Marv-mold' - but when Mularkey resigned, I think Marv really wanted 'one more bite of the apple'...

Guest dog14787
Serious question - do you think he might have stayed if he was HC instead of GM? I'm not complaining about the guy he hired as HC - I like Jauron a lot and think he's 'in the Marv-mold' - but when Mularkey resigned, I think Marv really wanted 'one more bite of the apple'...

I say yes, Marv loves coaching and he's a born leader, I'll bet the GM position almost drove him nuts. :thumbdown:

it wasnt that Marv was so brilliant in scouting the talent and finding players our current staff wouldnt have...

it was that he showed up with a vision and a PLAN of how to build a team. something that Donahoe (and Butler) didnt have.

That was simply it. He knew what kind of team he wanted to build and he knew how to build it.

He would have enjoyed it more (and I think you're right about him wanting the gig), but those are still some brutally long hours.

The last time I talked to him in person, late last season, I was mildly surprised by how tired he looked. Still sounded like the Marv we all know, but honestly, I wasn't at all shocked when he stepped down a month later.

Marv built most of the current nucleus, but you need to build more than one nucleus in order to remain a perennial contender. You need a constant influx of talent. I don't think Russ Brandon will be a bad GM for the Bills, at least not Donahoe bad, but I'm more confident in Marv's GM abilities at this point. Can't Ralph Wilson convince him to sign another contract as GM of the Buffalo Bills? I would have loved to see where Marv was going with this team under his guide.

Anyways, does anyone see Marv possibly returning as GM of the Bills?

While I agree Marv helped guide them through tough times, Russ Brandon is the future of the Bills. Love Russ and the things he has done for this team. If you agree with his moves (Toronto) or not, he has the best interest of this franchise at heart.

Don't mind Marv being a "Face of the franchise" and maybe being a member of the hierarchy, but not the ultimate decision maker....or consensus maker.

it wasnt that Marv was so brilliant in scouting the talent and finding players our current staff wouldnt have...

it was that he showed up with a vision and a PLAN of how to build a team. something that Donahoe (and Butler) didnt have.

That was simply it. He knew what kind of team he wanted to build and he knew how to build it.

:thumbdown:

He would have enjoyed it more (and I think you're right about him wanting the gig), but those are still some brutally long hours.

The last time I talked to him in person, late last season, I was mildly surprised by how tired he looked. Still sounded like the Marv we all know, but honestly, I wasn't at all shocked when he stepped down a month later.

No thinly-veiled secret that I'm a huge Marv fan, but I'm glad things turned out how they did - Marv 'righted the ship' and left us in great hands, better-off than when he got here.

I had a brief chance to meet and exchange a few words with 'The Marv-elous One' at last year's preseason game against Atlanta and agree completely - the wit, the firm voice, it's all still there, but he looked old and tired. Not 'Van Miller-old & tired' (he didn't repeat the same jokes over and over again), but was definitely showing some weakness in his walk.

He did crack a few of us up when he walked into a full press box bathroom and said, in that big booming voice, "Well, here we go again..." - referring to the beginning of another long season, I'm sure, but the double entendre was also obvious.

GO MARV!!!!

May he and Ralph be around to see the rebuilding they started lead to at least five Superbowl rings!