Seahawks fan site shutdown

d_wag

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

SEHAWKS FAN SITE CROSSES THE LINE

Posted by Mike Florio on September 27, 2008, 9:56 a.m.

We’ve been flooded with e-mail messages about the decision of a Seahawks fan site to prepare for the team’s upcoming game against the Giants by posting a list of nauseating, tasteless, and horribly inappropriate 9/11 jokes.

We weren’t going to mention the situation, because we didn’t want to push traffic to the site. But given the extent to which the story has grown legs, with stories by Deadspin and Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, we needed to chime in.

Seahawks fans, you can do better. There are plenty of other places where you can get news about your team.

Actually, Seahawks fans might have no choice. The site in question, SeahawksHuddle.com, currently is down. (Here’s the cached version of the page .) We hope that it’s because their servers collapsed under the weight of the unanticipated curiosity in the site, and we also hope that it will never be back.

If the site ever does return, we’ll be organizing an effort to contact all of its advertisers and plead with them to stop doing business with the site.

Based on the cached page, the advertisers include RazorGator, StubHub, Google, and FansEdge.

And before anyone suggests that every subject is fair game for jokes after sufficient passage of time, we don’t think that this loose rule of comedy applies to the single greatest tragedy in the history of our country. It’s been nearly 67 years since Pearl Harbor, and I’ve never heard a single joke about our men and women who were slaughtered that day.

We realize that comedy is subjective. But claiming “it was just a joke” doesn’t provide the would-be comedian a license to offend an entire nation.

While the First Amendment to our Constitution gives shmucks like this the ability to say things like that without being thrown in jail, the First Amendment also gives shmucks like us the ability to call them the shmucks that they are, and to ask anyone who does business with these shmucks to stop. Now.

UPDATE: We should have thought of this earlier. The domain for the site includes the term “Seahawks,” for which the Seahawks own the copyright. And so the Seahawks need to send these shmucks a cease-and-desist letter, pronto.

I think he was refering to them laughing at pictures of Everett laying face down on the turf, and making jokes about Tim Russert.

Yeah, that would be my guess as well. If you didn't see it, they went far beyond snow jokes, folks.

Looks like their server's still down. Ain't that a shame.

Edit: Here's where we discussed that site prior to the Week 1 game --

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=71105

I think he was refering to them laughing at pictures of Everett laying face down on the turf, and making jokes about Tim Russert.

Agreed. And while the tragedy that befell Kevin Everett does not equate in overall scope to the tragedy of 9/11, both clearly fall into a category that should forever be immune from jest.

Agreed. And while the tragedy that befell Kevin Everett does not equate in overall scope to the tragedy of 9/11, both clearly fall into a category that should forever be immune from jest.

bull sh--. if it's their website they can joke about whatever they want. move to cuba if you don't like people talking.

PTR - are you really equating horrible 'jokes' about the 9/11 tragedy with lame rust belt and snow jokes?
You are equating 3000 dead with snow jokes? Get a clue -- and some thicker skin. <_<

No. I was equating jokes about Kevin Everett and Tim Russert. Any humor about loss and tragedy, even to one person, is offensive.

How about reading these posts more thoroughly before you jump to conclusions?

PTR

And the Seahawks have a right to say they can't do it while using their trademark.

do they?

can i not use an image on a website that i own? i know the nfl has exerted pressure on web server providers and such, but do they have any legal

authority to stop a site using team logos?

do they?

can i not use an image on a website that i own? i know the nfl has exerted pressure on web server providers and such, but do they have any legal

I would be surprised if they didn't.

do they?

Yes they do, and they can choose when or how to enforce that copyright. Which is another good reason to avoid being an Arschloch with one's website... Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

If a site uses a seahawk's trademark or logo and does something that the seahawks don't like, then the seahawks can file legal action. The logo and name are the property of the seahawks, and they have a right to tell people not to use it. I work for a magazine and we need permission by the bucs if we want to give away tickets.

Most teams won't care if you use their logo and name. but if you do it in a way they don't like, they have a right to tell you not to use it.

bull sh--. if it's their website they can joke about whatever they want. move to cuba if you don't like people talking.

Nobody said that lawful action would be taken against the website for the crap they put out. People have the right to say that the stuff is sh-- and try to stop it from being posted on the web. That is their right just like the a-holes who write the crap.

Nobody said that lawful action would be taken against the website for the crap they put out. People have the right to say that the stuff is sh-- and try to stop it from being posted on the web. That is their right just like the a-holes who write the crap.

my point is moralization saying that things just shouldn't be said is weak and unamerican. trying to stop it from being posted is garbage weak sauce-- just don't frequent sites that you don't like.

about the logo thing -- sure they can file legal action, that's not exactly hard to do in this country. the question is will they win? if i have a fan site making constant fun of the pats (for example) and they file legal action against me, will they win in court? i can claim fair usage and that i'm not using their IP, and that i have freedom of speech and am writing satire (celebs can't sue AND WIN against tabloids if the tabloids aren't publishing outright lies).