Interesting observation from the game

nodnarb

Trent Edwards said in a post-game interview that the Raiders were attacking all day and that the offense hadn't prepared for that so they were thrown off. Then the Raiders stopped attacking in the 4th, allowinfg the Bills to execute the plan they had developed all week.

Yea so youre saying they did stop blitzing in the 4th right? That's what I remember. They obviously did blitz some, as I mentioned on the Roscoe TD and as somebody said on a few Marshawn runs. But I remember them for the most part playing prevent, having a nickel and a dime back in, and giving our receivers serious cushion a the line to allow Trent to throw the ball at will.

Yea so youre saying they did stop blitzing in the 4th right? That's what I remember. They obviously did blitz some, as I mentioned on the Roscoe TD and as somebody said on a few Marshawn runs. But I remember them for the most part playing prevent, having a nickel and a dime back in, and giving our receivers serious cushion a the line to allow Trent to throw the ball at will.

There is a difference between stop blitzing and running an attack D. They ran an attack D for three quarters and then stopped, allowing 17 in that final quarter.

Silver lining, baby!

Precisely. And the silver lining around all the injuries last year was that we were getting a lot of very young players a lot of quality game time. Now, that lining is turning into this year's main story.

Did anyone else notice this? I commented in the game thread that Peters was playing poorly early, but never noticed the temporary swap. I'm sure Peters will be at his best again soon, but that holdout still irks me. Anyway, here's the blurb:

Coaching note: After staging his inexplicable pointless summer holdout (he has three years remaining on his contract), Budgies Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters has lacked focus in his early play. On Sunday, he struggled early against Oakland speed rusher Derrick Burgess. Buffalo coaches took Peters out, but rather than yell at him, had him stand with them and watch as undrafted Kirk Chambers played left tackle and shut Burgess down. That was all the motivation Peters needed to return and perform well in the second half.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/080923

This action, combined with Jauron saying Peters played well, is excellent coaching. As far as WE know Jauron ripped Peters a new one after the press corps left. Kudos to Kirk Chambers!

Even Peters admits he reported in shape, but after looking at his peers, he knew he was not in GAME shape.

1) Jauron went out of his way in his press conferences (especially Monday) to praise how well Peters played, while acknowledging that he had a few bad plays. I agree with that perspective: Peters had a few truly brutal plays, but he also had a number of really athletic plays both in passing and running situations. With the speed of the Raiders' outside rushers on pass plays, Peters was routinely pushing his guy to a deep (7-10 yds) radius behind Trent, allowing Trent to step up and deliver strikes. The downside, obviously, was when Trent couldn't step up, or when the radius wasn't deep enough, or when the downfield coverage forced Trent to hold the ball too long. I'm not going to say that Peters played a great game, but I think it's equally inaccurate to say he played a terrible game. I think it's wildly inaccurate to say he looked like Gandy. Those outside rushers for the Raiders are about as fast as we'll see all season.

Hey, wat ya do'n injecting some rationality around here. This board needs a weekly whipping boy, and by God, no amount of analysis is going to take their 'eyes off the prize'...

I know Easterbrook is from Buffalo and I love reading the guy's stories. But I noticed something he wrote about the Bills. Its in the Kiffin sent to detention section:

But Kiffin doesn't call defensive signals. Rob Ryan does, and it was Ryan who called too many blitzes in the fourth quarter, practically sending the Buffalo Budgies an engraved invitation to stage a comeback. Buffalo gained 152 yards on its first 10 possessions and 221 yards on its final three possessions.

Anybody else notice this? From what I recall in the game, the raiders blitzed the hell out of us for three quarters and then all but stopped in the forth (save for a few plays, like the Roscoe TD where we countered their blitz). I know I've read all over the Buffalo News this week that the Raiders supposedly lost because Ryan DID NOT blitz buffalo in the 4th enough and they played too much prevent D, which we all know never works.

I can't find any Buffalo News articles that back this statement up, but I did find an Oakland paper that talks about changing from man to man to Prevent.

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_10528330

What do you guys think?

I think Easterbrook can be a complete moron, particularly with regard to his tired schtick about blitzing ("stop me before I blitz again!"). He may want to look at the Eagles vs. the Steelers (in which a blitz-happy Eagles D sacked the Steelers' QBs 9 times and completely shut them down, or the Raiders vs. the Broncos in week one (a game in which the Raiders failed to blitz and were eviscerated).

As for the game against the Bills, they blitzed on the TD pass to Parrish, but all in all blitzed less than they had earlier in the game.

While we take shots at Peters, let's not lose sight of the fact that Kirk Chambers seemingly is a good tackle, giving us depth there for the first time in years.

There was a long list of people who thought Kirk Chambers was a waste of space and the front office had Matt Millen brain impact last year. Where are the comments now? Maybe THEY had the brain impact and ought to let professionals do their job or go work for ESPN.

There was a long list of people who thought Kirk Chambers was a waste of space and the front office had Matt Millen brain impact last year. Where are the comments now? Maybe THEY had the brain impact and ought to let professionals do their job or go work for ESPN.

I'll stand up and testify I was one of the Chambers bashers at draft time. No doubt about it, the guy's progressed. Got to give him props, as well as Sean Kugler.

Some of us have been bashing the Center and RG all last year into this one. This is where alot of the pressure comes from and why we can't run effectively. Langston can't do it all over there by himself.

I'll stand up and testify I was one of the Chambers bashers at draft time. No doubt about it, the guy's progressed. Got to give him props, as well as Sean Kugler.

Same here. Around draft time, it sure looked like we made a mistake not finding some O-line depth.

Kudos to those posters who told me I was overreacting. :rolleyes: