Unanswered Prayers

ChevyVanMiller

Last night Farve looked like what he is - a 30-something QB playing on past reputation. If the Bills had taken a flyer on him Edwards would be sitting on the bench stunting his growth. Also, a young team would probably not be gelling the way this one has.

The Jets would have been better suited to stick with Pennington or play Clemons (sp?). At least they wouldn't be throwing a year away riding a horse who is ready to be put out to pasture.

As Garth Brooks said, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

Last night Farve looked like what he is - a 30-something QB playing on past reputation. If the Bills had taken a flyer on him Edwards would be sitting on the bench stunting his growth. Also, a young team would probably not be gelling the way this one has.

The Jets would have been better suited to stick with Pennington or play Clemons (sp?). At least they wouldn't be throwing a year away riding a horse who is ready to be put out to pasture.

I wasn't aware that we had been considering trading for him...

I think, unlike the Jests, we aren't dumb enough to mortgage our future for one mediocre year

I think, unlike the Jests, we aren't dumb enough to mortgage our future for one mediocre year

Yeah, outside of the "here's what I would do if I were GM" retard fantasy land that TSW becomes during the offseason, there wasn't even the slightest chance Favre would be playing in Buffalo.

It's because a lot of Bills fans on this board wanted Favre. Here's what I said in post 59 of the attached thread, I stand by that as well as post 16 & my others, especially 76 & 81, but I've moved the Super Bowl timetable up by a year:

Because you'll screw up the salary cap so badly you'll have no $ left to re-sign Evans, make Peters happy, extend other young players, and be able to afford your top rookies without releasing some players. Not to mention that you're not letting the team grow together with Edwards.

This team can make the playoffs this year and the Super Bowl next year without Favre.

Why bring him in and risk him playing this year, while the team may need one more free agent & draft class to reach the top, then pull the same crap he's done in Green Bay & "retire" again? Plus, do you really think GB is going to release him with no strings? It's not going to happen-they'll want compensation-further weakening the Bills long term goals.

I agree-Just say no!

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry1069453

Bob Matthews was for it. :devil:

You should email Bob Matthews, call him out on this, then ask him how he thinks Trent has played in his first three games.

I can only assume that this "Bob Matthews" was a fervent non-believer. I'll go out on a limb and say this knee-jerk proclaimed that the Bills would only win 5 games this year because they have a second year quarterback. Nevermind actually looking at the cake walk schedule that we've all be aware of for the last 5 months, 5-11! DOOMED! Second year quarterback! DOOMED!

It's amusing how the media was quick to make darlings of the Jets and many experts predicted they would finish ahead of us in the AFC East. I know it is early, but it appears they were ridiculously wrong. I think we can hand them 2 losses this year.

There are 5 teams that are media darlings and they will always be overrated. Miami, Oakland, Jets, Giants(any NY team I guess) and Dallas. Been like that for years. Add someone like Favre to the mix and its no surprise that the Jets were instant SB favs.

While I never thought Favre was going to be anywhere near enough to get the Jets where they want to go, I don't think it is going to set them back that much (depending on how long they want to keep him). But if they miss the playoffs (decent chance) and decide he is a one-and-done, then it only set them back a year. And I think the younger QBs could benefit from being the understudies to one of the games best QBs. There is plenty they could learn from him to help their own games blossom when the time comes.

I think the Jets have other problems like...does Mangini suck?

There are 5 teams that are media darlings and they will always be overrated. Miami, Oakland, Jets, Giants(any NY team I guess) and Dallas. Been like that for years. Add someone like Favre to the mix and its no surprise that the Jets were instant SB favs.

I'd add PGH to that list.

Like or dislike Favre, he has 6 td passes so far and a 98.7 passer rating for what that's worth...and he does pack in the crowds home and away, which makes all the owners smile...

I don't think that the Bills were ever even remotely interested in Favre.

I'm glad the FO didn't bite on the hysteria.

Let's not forget that the Jets and Giants are from New Jersey.

While I never thought Favre was going to be anywhere near enough to get the Jets where they want to go, I don't think it is going to set them back that much (depending on how long they want to keep him). But if they miss the playoffs (decent chance) and decide he is a one-and-done, then it only set them back a year. And I think the younger QBs could benefit from being the understudies to one of the games best QBs. There is plenty they could learn from him to help their own games blossom when the time comes.

I think the Jets have other problems like...does Mangini suck?

Look i know Favre has fun when he plays and hes able to pull plays out of his ass and look amzing doing it but honestly he is prolly one of the worst mechanically speaking Qurterbacks ever. He wants to be his own coach and own GM and he consistently makes mistakes in bad times. The stat last night that said hes never one a game when trailing by 14 was very telling. Our second year QB can pull of a victory like that, someone who is a first ballot hall of famer should have at least one victory being down 14

To me this just proves that it takes months of study, practice and play in order for a QB to mesh with the offense. It doesn't matter what kind of arm you have if you throw the ball where the receiver ain't. I mean, Favre was getting tutored after each series for crying out loud.

Favre will retire at the end of the season and both he and the Jets know it was wishful thinking on both their parts for this to work.

To me this just proves that it takes months of study, practice and play in order for a QB to mesh with the offense. It doesn't matter what kind of arm you have if you throw the ball where the receiver ain't. I mean, Favre was getting tutored after each series for crying out loud.

Favre will retire at the end of the season and both he and the Jets know it was wishful thinking on both their parts for this to work.

Is his arm even "strong" anymore? Some of those deep passes he throws are pretty darn lame, IMO.

Is his arm even "strong" anymore? Some of those deep passes he throws are pretty darn lame, IMO.

"Stronger" than some of the noodle-armed QB's playing now. Not "as strong" as a few years ago. Regardless of strength or accuracy, if you're not in sync with the offense, both are irrelevant. Edwards was in sync in the 4th quarter about as well as anyone could be.

I wasn't suggesting that the Bills were ready to pull the trigger on a deal, but you can bet your last dollar that just about every team in the league toyed with the idea. Even if it was to sell a ton of jerseys and merchandise.

I wasn't suggesting that the Bills were ready to pull the trigger on a deal, but you can bet your last dollar that just about every team in the league toyed with the idea. Even if it was to sell a ton of jerseys and merchandise.

In regards to my Bob Matthews reference:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...TS0101/80807028

In regards to my Bob Matthews reference:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...TS0101/80807028

On Trent:

The Bills have to develop Trent Edwards and Favre would stunt his NFL growth.

Hey, we all hope Edwards has what it takes to become Buffalo’s long-awaited, long-term solution at QB. But what harm would it have done to have second-year pro Edwards back up Favre for a year or two?

Does anyone honestly believe that the 2008 Bills have a better chance to end their horrendous eight-year playing drought with Edwards as starting QB than they might have with Favre as starting QB?

Do you remember how much Edwards struggled in lousy weather late last season and how often Favre has thrived in those conditions?

Favre was one of the top QBs in the NFL last season and a three-time NFL MVP. He’s not the QB he was five years ago, but who knows if Edwards EVER will be as good as Favre is at soon-to-turn 39?

Well, I sorta called that one. Any Rochesterans know if he's recanted his Trent suspicions?