Who was DUMB???

LaDairis

The mess in Miami has now come full circle.

Tedd Ginn really isn't anything more than a deep threat as a WR. Ohio State never had him run short routes unless he had a huge cushion. As a short range "possession" receiver, Ginn sukks - doesn't fight for balls.

Now, given that about Ginn, the decision to go with Pennington has essentially reduced Ginn's value to the Fins to zero, because Pennington just cannot throw a deep ball after his shoulder surgery. Granted, Josh McCown is unproven and clearly not a "savior" as Favre is supposed to be to the Jest. However, McCown is both mobile and strong armed, and having him in there would keep the deep pass to Ginn alive and force opposing safeties to play back, off the LOS, helping to open up the running game. Indeed, if you haven't noticed, the Fins OL is geared towards run blocking as opposed to pass blocking.

Grabbing Pennington and dumping McCown before McCown even had a chance to play has reduced the Fins O to short passes to a really lousy set of "possession" receivers and stacked the box run defense.

Parcells, who drafted Pennington in Round 1 from Marshall, clearly did not think this situation through. Pennington cannot throw a deep ball and that is why the JEST parted with him. Everyone who plays the Fins just has to "cover" the likes of Wilford and Hagan in man and dump everyone else in the box hunting Ricky and Ronnie. It ain't working, even against inferior defenses.

To those of you who thought the Favre deal strengthened two divisional rivals, think again. Favre didn't exactly light up the Pats, and Pennington is a serious liability to the Fins. Neither franchise is developing anyone young either...

Hate to say it, but the best QB in the division right now is... some injury case Third Rounder from Stanford.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mess in Miami has now come full circle.

Tedd Ginn really isn't anything more than a deep threat as a WR. Ohio State never had him run short routes unless he had a huge cushion. As a short range "possession" receiver, Ginn sukks - doesn't fight for balls.

Now, given that about Ginn, the decision to go with Pennington has essentially reduced Ginn's value to the Fins to zero, because Pennington just cannot throw a deep ball after his shoulder surgery. Granted, Josh McCown is unproven and clearly not a "savior" as Favre is supposed to be to the Jest. However, McCown is both mobile and strong armed, and having him in there would keep the deep pass to Ginn alive and force opposing safeties to play back, off the LOS, helping to open up the running game. Indeed, if you haven't noticed, the Fins OL is geared towards run blocking as opposed to pass blocking.

Grabbing Pennington and dumping McCown before McCown even had a chance to play has reduced the Fins O to short passes to a really lousy set of "possession" receivers and stacked the box run defense.

Parcells, who drafted Pennington in Round 1 from Marshall, clearly did not think this situation through. Pennington cannot throw a deep ball and that is why the JEST parted with him. Everyone who plays the Fins just has to "cover" the likes of Wilford and Hagan in man and dump everyone else in the box hunting Ricky and Ronnie. It ain't working, even against inferior defenses.

To those of you who thought the Favre deal strengthened two divisional rivals, think again. Favre didn't exactly light up the Pats, and Pennington is a serious liability to the Fins. Neither franchise is developing anyone young either...

Hate to say it, but the best QB in the division right now is... some injury case Third Rounder from Stanford.

I think Favre just played against one of the top if not the top defense in the AFC..The Pats lost Brady but they didnt lose their Defense or Belicheck....Edwards had a pretty good game but he hasnt outplayed Favre yet..I like Edwards alot but does it matter if he is the Best qb in the AFC EAST? Nope..I just care about wins..

So they had the choice between a smart QB that can't throw the deep ball, vs a dumbass QB with a strong arm, and they chose the smart one.... Sound familiar?

Ginn is not Parcells' pick and Pennington gives them a better chance to win than McCown, and does everything better than him other than throw the deep ball.

And how is having Chad Henne and Kellen Clemons as the backup QB's not having anyone young behind the starters to develop?

I agree. I listened to the experts go on and on about how Parcells and Farve were going to save these teams and scratched my head. Parcells didn't do anything special with Dallas and he inherited a JV team. I remember the Bills beating Farve when they sucked, he is exciting but he also throws dumb interceptions. I bet Greer and McGee get game changing picks off of the old gunslinger this season. The Bills have been quietly and methodically been building a solid team. No big headlines. Now we see the results.

Were Back!

I think Favre just played against one of the top if not the top defense in the AFC..The Pats lost Brady but they didnt lose their Defense or Belicheck....Edwards had a pretty good game but he hasnt outplayed Favre yet..I like Edwards alot but does it matter if he is the Best qb in the AFC EAST? Nope..I just care about wins..

Top D ?? C'mon..

First off they lost Samuel & Gay & Wilson + Vrabel & Pooski have seen better days..

Statistically, they are actually the # 9 D..far off # 1 who by the way is Baltimore...Buffalo is #5..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Here is the top 10 (total D)

BALTIMORE

TENNESSEE

NY GIANTS

PITTSBURGH

BUFFALO

CHI TOWN

ARIZONA ???

NY JETS

*ATRIOTS

COWBOYS

Yes, it matters if we have the best quarterback in the AFC East. With Brady out, we do (but not so much because of Edwards, but because of how bad the other teams' qb's are).

Top D ?? C'mon..

First off they lost Samuel & Gay & Wilson + Vrabel & Pooski have seen better days..

Statistically, they are actually the # 9 D..far off # 1 who by the way is Baltimore...Buffalo is #5..

BALTIMORE

TENNESSEE

NY GIANTS

PITTSBURGH

BUFFALO

CHI TOWN

ARIZONA ???

NY JETS

*ATRIOTS

COWBOYS

The ravens have only played one game my friend.

Edwards hasn't played better than Favre? Are you kidding me?

So Favre played against a pretty good Patriots D.... Edwards played against TWO top 5 defenses and completed 70% of his passes with a 107.7 QB rating.

I agree. I listened to the experts go on and on about how Parcells and Farve were going to save these teams and scratched my head. Parcells didn't do anything special with Dallas and he inherited a JV team. I remember the Bills beating Farve when they sucked, he is exciting but he also throws dumb interceptions. I bet Greer and McGee get game changing picks off of the old gunslinger this season. The Bills have been quietly and methodically been building a solid team. No big headlines. Now we see the results.

Were Back!

Thanks, Marv!! This team has his stamp all over it, I think. Cleared out the dead weight and kept or brought in "character" football players. This Team went through a lot last year together and is really strong now and getting stronger as they realize just how good they are. Plus we have game-tested bench strength. I'm really excited about the Bills this year and in the foreseeable future...

So they had the choice between a smart QB that can't throw the deep ball, vs a dumbass QB with a strong arm, and they chose the smart one.... Sound familiar?

Ginn is not Parcells' pick and Pennington gives them a better chance to win than McCown, and does everything better than him other than throw the deep ball.

And how is having Chad Henne and Kellen Clemons as the backup QB's not having anyone young behind the starters to develop?

Kellen is behind Favre in NY. The Dolphins have John Beck (2nd Round selection in '07 :unsure: ) and Henne. I think Henne could be decent, but Beck will be a nobody and out of the NFL within the next 3 years, plus the fact that he's already 27 years old in just his second year.

About the Dolphins FO decision making, look at Parcell's track record. He takes crappy teams and molds them into playoff teams within 3 years. They may not be any good this year, or the next, but watch out for them by 2010. And don't be fooled into thinking that Bill believes Chad is the "long-term" answer at QB, because he's smart enough to know that he doesn't fit in today's NFL. He's just a temporary plug to cover a bald spot. Bill will get it right in Miami and the rivalry will be on once again :unsure:

Top D ?? C'mon..

BALTIMORE

TENNESSEE

NY GIANTS

PITTSBURGH

BUFFALO

CHI TOWN

ARIZONA ???

NY JETS

*ATRIOTS

COWBOYS

I am all for Edwards, I think he will be a very good qb for a long time.. But Its 2 games into the season.. But lets see how the stats are mid season before we go gaga all over the place..I remeber a few years ago we were all gaga over Bledsoe after 2 weeks and we missed the playoffs...I will take a Belichek coached defense over most any week of the football season..Ask Kelly, Elway,Warner and Delhomme...

McCown is green, not dumb. Did quite well on the Wonderlic. Has a lot of potential and has only played for horrible teams so far. Did some impressive things with poor supporting casts, like taking 8 sacks against Minn and standing tough to throw the winning TD pass on the final play. McCown has great tools.

You can be the smartest QB to ever play, but if you cannot throw a deep pass, you surrender part of your offense and allow the defense to stack.

I totally disagree that Pennington "gives them a better chance to win." He gives them nothing but a surrender offense that has been totally unable to exploit two marginal defenses. Whether Ginn is a BP pick or not doesn't change the fact that he is on the Fins roster, a roster devoid of WR talent except Ginn deep. Take away that and the whole thing implodes. Hagan and Wilford have the worst set of hands in the NFL.

To "develop," a young QB should play. Henne is a rookie so he is learning the playbook etc. Clemons will get a chance if the Jest get eliminated early. Having seen both in college, I really don't think either will make it as an NFL starter. Henne just doesn't think fast enough on the field. He has all the tools, yet he clearly never put it altogether, and that is the difference between "prospect" and "great QB." Clemons doesn't have a gun like Henne, and has already had a host of injuries. I thought he was more of a 5th Rounder than a 2nd.

The "developing" backup QB in the NFC East with the most potential is Kevin O'Connell of the Pats. Don't cheer too hard for Cassel to get hurt...

Edwards hasn't played better than Favre? Are you kidding me?

So Favre played against a pretty good Patriots D.... Edwards played against TWO top 5 defenses and completed 70% of his passes with a 107.7 QB rating.

I never said he played better than Favre..

Kellen is behind Favre in NY. The Dolphins have John Beck (2nd Round selection in '07 :unsure: ) and Henne. I think Henne could be decent, but Beck will be a nobody and out of the NFL within the next 3 years, plus the fact that he's already 27 years old in just his second year.

About the Dolphins FO decision making, look at Parcell's track record. He takes crappy teams and molds them into playoff teams within 3 years. They may not be any good this year, or the next, but watch out for them by 2010. And don't be fooled into thinking that Bill believes Chad is the "long-term" answer at QB, because he's smart enough to know that he doesn't fit in today's NFL. He's just a temporary plug to cover a bald spot. Bill will get it right in Miami and the rivalry will be on once again :unsure:

It is also perfectly clear that Ryan Clady is a vastly better OLT than Jake Long. Clady is dumb and had some "work ethic" charges against him, but he is just keeping Jay Cutler's blindside locked down cold. Long is nowhere near the athlete Clady is.

While Chad clearly isn't the long term QB, McCown at least had a chance to be, had he developed. With Pennington, even the run game doesn't work because the D has no fear of the deep ball.

That's not true.

Miami drafted Chad Henne in the 2nd round and is developing him to be their QB of the future. In fact, if Miami doesn't start winning, Henne will be starting very soon.

The Jets don't have the guy they planned to replace Pennington working out, because Clemens is a bust (to JP fans that means "he just needs more time for the light to come on & the Jets will regret letting him go"). But, they may have found a gem in an undrafted FA from last year who made their roster after spending last season on their practice squad, Brett Ratliff. Also, the Jets have 2008 draftee Erik Ainge.

Ainge, Clemons, Henne... don't inspire me. If the Jest had really thought Clemons was the answer...

Ainge - come on... did you ever watch UT the past few years?

Henne - see above. Has all the tools but just doesn't think quickly and makes poor decisions, even with 4 years as a starter at Mich.

Don't know anything about Ratliff...

It is also perfectly clear that Ryan Clady is a vastly better OLT than Jake Long. Clady is dumb and had some "work ethic" charges against him, but he is just keeping Jay Cutler's blindside locked down cold. Long is nowhere near the athlete Clady is.

While Chad clearly isn't the long term QB, McCown at least had a chance to be, had he developed. With Pennington, even the run game doesn't work because the D has no fear of the deep ball.

I think that Long will end up being their RT and a solid one. That's what he played his first 2 years at Michigan. Clady may be a better tackle right now, but it's also because he has better players around him. They not only help him when he has a lapse on the field, but they help him in the film room as well. Clady is under better tutelidge right now than Long is, from a player standpoint. It's also too early to say that Clady is the better pro. They are 2 games into their rookie seasons respectively. I'd say it's a little too early to bang the gavel and pass sentance.

I think that Long will end up being their RT and a solid one. That's what he played his first 2 years at Michigan. Clady may be a better tackle right now, but it's also because he has better players around him. They not only help him when he has a lapse on the field, but they help him in the film room as well. Clady is under better tutelidge right now than Long is, from a player standpoint. It's also too early to say that Clady is the better pro. They are 2 games into their rookie seasons respectively. I'd say it's a little too early to bang the gavel and pass sentance.

Trying watching them and just them. Clady is an incredible athlete from Boise State. Long is a polished guy from Mich. One has upside from here, the other doesn't. It isn't close. Clady is shutting down pass rushers without any help or problem. Long had problems with Gholston and Harvey last year, and neither one of them can crack a starting spot so far...

Clady will just put more distance between him and Jake as time goes forward assuming no injuries or stupid stuff that keeps PFT around..

Ainge, Clemons, Henne... don't inspire me. If the Jest had really thought Clemons was the answer...

Ainge - come on... did you ever watch UT the past few years?

Henne - see above. Has all the tools but just doesn't think quickly and makes poor decisions, even with 4 years as a starter at Mich.

Don't know anything about Ratliff...

Henne was looking good in preseason, and Ratliff was the best QB behind Favre-he was tons better than Clemens (with two Es). If the Jets hadn't acquired Favre, Ratliff would have been their best QB, not Pennington, Clemens, or Ainge. Albany had the Jets preseason games on TV and Ratliff was lighting it up.