A couple propers from the Jags game

Simon

We gotta give some credit to the interior of the Jags OLine. Fewell seemed to be more liberal with his blitz packages than he normally is yet we still couldn't generate pressure on Garrard for most of the day. Major props to the Jaxonville staff and coaches for cobbling together a unit that was farrrrr more effective than anybody had any right to expect. They played some manly ball on Sunday.

The other propers go to the Bills D. Maybe it wasn't a dominating performace. Maybe they weren't as consistently good against a short-handed unit as they could have been. But they did do one all-important thing that they have had a terrible time with in recent years. They stepped up at the key moment in the game and got their asses off the field. Sending the Jags 3 and out late was a ginormous leap forward for a unit that has spent way too much time folding up at key moments in recent years. When Stroud and Kyle Williams collapsed that pocket on 3rd down I damned near jumped through the skylights I was so jacked.

To me that's a significant notch in the "This team is an entirely different critter" column.

Agree with all this my friend. We simply made plays on the interior on both sides of the ball and from our skill positions on both sides of the ball to win. It was a refreshing change....

1) McGee INT

2) Youboty two open field one on one tackles

3) Evans route and catch and Edwards read

4) Hardy awesome TD and Edwards awesome thow

5) Williams and Stroud rush -- Williams Sack

6) Fred Jackson great run after catch a couple of times...

The only thing slightly maddening is this inherent inability to convert consistently on 3rd and short with a run...grrrr

I am not willing to call this team transformed...but they are winning me over--and not just with heart and guts like last year..this year with actual playmaking

Yeah...I screamed so loud that my 14 month old daughter got scared, started crying and ran to mommy for comforting while giving me a really confused look as if to say "Why are you screaming like that daddy?!?!"

Maybe I shouldn't be in the same room anymore while watching the game...

In a big game, the Bills did something I haven't seen them do on the road in a long time - they opened with a lengthy drive capped by a touchdown to get the early lead.

I was also impressed that the defense stopped Jones-Drew and Taylor from running wild. I'm sure the defenders from last season remember Taylor ripping off the 50 yarder last season. The defense knew coming in they needed to force Garrard to throw, and they did it. Props to Fewell on that note.

This teams wins games when the defense and special teams play well. I think the running game improves as defenses are forced to respect their passing game.

We gotta give some credit to the interior of the Jags OLine. Fewell seemed to be more liberal with his blitz packages than he normally is yet we still couldn't generate pressure on Garrard for most of the day. Major props to the Jaxonville staff and coaches for cobbling together a unit that was farrrrr more effective than anybody had any right to expect. They played some manly ball on Sunday.

The other propers go to the Bills D. Maybe it wasn't a dominating performace. Maybe they weren't as consistently good against a short-handed unit as they could have been. But they did do one all-important thing that they have had a terrible time with in recent years. They stepped up at the key moment in the game and got their asses off the field. Sending the Jags 3 and out late was a ginormous leap forward for a unit that has spent way too much time folding up at key moments in recent years. When Stroud and Kyle Williams collapsed that pocket on 3rd down I damned near jumped through the skylights I was so jacked.

To me that's a significant notch in the "This team is an entirely different critter" column.

I was a bit surprised that we didn't bring 5 or 6 man rushes but even more surprised that the front 4 couldn't generate any pressure at all on that patchwork O-line. And when we did boy did we whiff on tackles. :thumbsup:

Yeah...I screamed so loud that my 14 month old daughter got scared, started crying and ran to mommy for comforting while giving me a really confused look as if to say "Why are you screaming like that daddy?!?!"

Maybe I shouldn't be in the same room anymore while watching the game...

Yes, by all means, dismiss yourself! :flirt:

.....The only thing slightly maddening is this inherent inability to convert consistently on 3rd and short with a run...grrrr....

Though the SEA game saw 2 3rd & short situations fail(1 in the first drive & 1 in the last).....against JAX we did fine in 3rd & short converting our one attempt.

On top of that, of the 6 other 3rd & short yardage situations in the two games we got the 1st down by QB(penalty included) 5 times.

Total 1st downs from 3rd & short......6 of 9....67%

In comparison to our opponents over 2 games......

The one 3rd & short run attempt against us failed.

On top of that, of the 6 other 3rd & short yardage situations in the two games they got the 1st down by QB(penalty included) 4 times.

Total 1st downs from 3rd & short......4 of 7....57%

That was another huge play by Youboty as the LT picked him up probably thinking the guard would pick up Williams. Williams did very well on that one. :flirt:

Though the SEA game saw 2 3rd & short situations fail(1 in the first drive & 1 in the last).....against JAX we did fine in 3rd & short converting our one attempt.

On top of that, of the 6 other 3rd & short yardage situations in the two games we got the 1st down by QB(penalty included) 5 times.

Total 1st downs from 3rd & short......6 of 9....67%

In comparison to our opponents over 2 games......

The one 3rd & short run attempt against us failed.

On top of that, of the 6 other 3rd & short yardage situations in the two games they got the 1st down by QB(penalty included) 4 times.

Total 1st downs from 3rd & short......4 of 7....57%

So he's right. We're 1 for 3 converting short yardage on the ground.

Thats been a problem for us for awhile now. We're seemingly more likely to pick up a 3rd and 1 or 2 by throwing than we are by running.

Thats been a problem for us for awhile now. We're seemingly more likely to pick up a 3rd and 1 or 2 by throwing than we are by running.

As long as we're successful I don't mind passing. You take what the defense gives you. Once defenses adjust to the potential pass, the run will open up.

Maybe.

During the SEA game the two attempts(and fails) were in the very first drive(in fact very first 3rd down).....and the very last drive(in fact the very last 3rd down). I think at this point it perhaps reasonable to view those as possibly not the norm. The first drive of the new season everyone is potentially rusty & finding their rhythm......the last was obviously going to be a run due to situation and made no difference to the game either way.

The 3rd & short we converted into a 1st down against the Jags was at a crucial time in the game.....down 10-16....around midfield....under 6 mins left in game.

I just don't think one can draw conclusions at this point in regards to this since there has not been enough attempts to show any real trend. We may well have troubles(evident by failing twice against SEA)......but we may well end up being decent/good(evident by succeeding when it counted most against JAX).