Last November I was flamed pretty hard here

Mooshocker

...regarding my take on JP Losman. I was "crazy" enough to suggest that it was not JP's arm, feet or overall athletic ability that would be his downfall not only here in Buffalo but throughout the NFL. It is his absolute lack of football smarts. His inability to read a defense, rely on his line to block for him, anticipate his receivers (other than the fly or deep post by Lee) and not being able to recognize a defensive scheme prior to going under center.

It was suggested that I was not open to JP's abilities and that I was just a Trent lover. I must say, from the moment I saw Trent play in person (at home versus the Jets), I knew we were on to a very special QB. Whatever we THOUGHT he lacked in skill, he more than made up with his brains.

Now, in a new season, we can clearly see by yesterdays game what football smarts affords you. Calm, cool and collected QBing. Reading the defense and anticipating. Extracting all he could out of each play called and knowing what his limits were (accepting the sack late in the game versus a very JP like move by throwing it up there). We all know Montana had them (smarts), Boomer had them, Simms had them and more recently, Brady and Kerry Collins.

Football smarts. Using the team around you and keeping your feet planted. Now, one final chance for JP to exercise smarts.....RE-SIGN WITH BUFFALO, ACCEPT YOUR POSITION ON THIS TEAM AND IN THIS LEAGUE AND ENJOY MUCH SUCCESS!!!!

There is something else JP lacks: ever having played a regular season game in Turk's offense. I am sure he will get a chance to play for another team next year and we will have to say a not too reluctant farewell to threads like this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something else JP lacks: ever having played a regular season game in Turk's offense. I am sure he will get a chance to play for another team next year and we will have to say a not too reluctant farewell to threads like this.

That's easy for you to say Mick. After all, you never take any heat on this board.

Do you see the TIME that Edwards has to throw?

And the pocket?

Just curious.....

To me it says less about Edwards (who I love) and Losman (was not handled right) and more about the fact that you can make a QB look good by giving him weapons to throw to....time to do it....and a game plan that actually works.....

Just saying

Do you see the TIME that Edwards has to throw?

And the pocket?

Just curious.....

To me it says less about Edwards (who I love) and Losman (was not handled right) and more about the fact that you can make a QB look good by giving him weapons to throw to....time to do it....and a game plan that actually works.....

Just saying

Jp had time to throw, he didn't make good decisions. Granted his offensive coordinator sucked.

I love the revisionist history around here.

Let's all keep pretending that the offense that has been run this season resembles ANYTHING that JP Losman was commanding. We'll also conveniently ignore the fact that JP looked pretty goddamn good in the 3rd preseason game, in what was probably his first real experience with a cohesive NFL offense.

But pat yourself on the back for ignoring all the goddamn bull sh-- that has plagued that side of the ball for the better part of the past decade and talk down about a guy who gave pretty much everything he had for a bad football team because you need to feel like you know the game a little. The change in the offense THIS season has more to do with Turk Schonert replacing Steve Fairchild than ANY OTHER THING.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a rookie first round QB handled worse than the BILLS handled JP Losman.

Guest dog14787
I love the revisionist history around here.

Let's all keep pretending that the offense that has been run this season resembles ANYTHING that JP Losman was commanding. We'll also conveniently ignore the fact that JP looked pretty goddamn good in the 3rd preseason game, in what was probably his first real experience with a cohesive NFL offense.

But pat yourself on the back for ignoring all the goddamn bull sh-- that has plagued that side of the ball for the better part of the past decade and talk down about a guy who gave pretty much everything he had for a bad football team because you need to feel like you know the game a little. The change in the offense THIS season has more to do with Turk Schonert replacing Steve Fairchild than ANY OTHER THING.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a rookie first round QB handled worse than the BILLS handled JP Losman.

:wallbash:

I noticed the same poster started a different thread with a quote about Losman from Mark Kelso. For anyone who's interested, here's what Kelso had to say about the quarterbacks at the midway point of last season:

Bills Radio Network color analyst Mark Kelso, No. 38 in your Super Bowl-era programs, then joined Chris Brown at the podium. Kelso also opened his remarks by discussing the quarterback shuffle. Like many of us, he feels bad for J.P.: the guy's worked his tail off, good in the community, etc. But while there were extenuating circumstances -- the injury against New England, a gameplan that could have taken better advantage of his strengths (bootlegs, deep throws) -- in the end, Losman was given an opportunity, but couldn't do what he needed to to keep the job. He's not hard to game-plan against: even Jacksonville, a team that normally plays a lot of man-to-man D in their secondary, gave him a lot of Cover 2 looks because they knew he's struggled against it in the past.

The talk then turned to comparing Losman and Trent Edwards. Kelso and Brown agreed that Edwards was the more "polished" of the two and has progressed more quickly, probably at least in part because Edwards received better coaching in college (as opposed to the run-for-your-life, chuck-and-duck offense Losman endured at Tulane). They agreed on something else, too: Losman may be one of the most mis-handled players in Bills history. Kelso feels that neither coaching staff has done a particularly good job of finding a way to utilize the things he's good at, instead of trying to make him fit into their systems.

Mention was made of the fact that the playcalling has been "under the radar" these last few weeks... but if Edwards' return doesn't improve the offense's production, well...

(Sorry, no link. This is mine, from a Booster Club recap that went down with the ship when the board crashed in March.)

ummmmmm, your post from a thread on Dec 14, 2006:

Title - Losman named starter for 2007, per ESPN...

First, a great big congrats to JP AND, contrary to AnthonyF (?), Steve Fairchild and the ENTIRE offensive coaching staff for identifying the abilties of this offense and excentuating said abilities.

I have posted only a couple of times, however, have been a Bills fan for many, many years. Not since the Kelly days have I had so much to look forward to. A solid, young, athletic quarterback........

And from a thread you startred on Nov 21, 2006:

Title - My 2 cents regarding our team

JP seems to have a lot of the tools necessary to win. Very strong, accurate arm. Upfield vision. Busy, yet not wasteful footwork, size and of course, mobility.....

I truly believe JP will become the type of quarterback who pull's success from a variety of places at different points of a game. His own skills. His ends. His RB's and his WR's. What I mean is JP will not be one dimensional. He will learn to excentuate what is working. He will learn how to read defenses and he will comit himself to taking his game to higher and higher levels. The kid has got it....he just needs to find it and nurture it...just like JimBo and a guy in Green Bay

I'm not finding a whole lot where you get flamed for ragging Losman. :censored:

And did you just call Kerry Collins smart? :wallbash:

:censored:

Take your pick. How about the Saints game in 2005?

So, there were so many games ("take your pick") when the vaunted Buffalo Bills' offensive line of the past few years provided outstanding protection for JP, you decided to use the his 4th career start in what was, for all practical purposes, his rookie year. That's your trump card?

He was sacked 3 times and ran 4 times for 38 yards (hey, a nice 9.5/att average). In relief, Kelly Holcomb was also sacked once, had to run once and was forced to fumble twice. That sounds like a monster day for the offensive line.

Obviously, I was joking with a "which game" as it is obvious to anyone who has actually watched the games (no matter what former players have personally told them) that the Bills offensive line, the past few years was abysmal. It wasn't until the line began to gel, last year, that the OL could be called "respectable" in pass blocking. Add to that completely predictable and horrendous play-calling, and it's fairly obvious that JP was not in a good situation, as far as having time to throw.

Now, with that said, JP does need to improve his pocket presence, if he is going to improve his game in the NFL. But, please, let's not pretend that his situation was something other than what it was.

I noticed the same poster started a different thread with a quote about Losman from Mark Kelso. For anyone who's interested, here's what Kelso had to say about the quarterbacks at the midway point of last season:

(Sorry, no link. This is mine, from a Booster Club recap that went down with the ship when the board crashed in March.)

Nice find, Lo.

I can't say I've seen or know much of what's gone on there but I know what's happened with Losman and it was destined for disaster from the start.

Smith wasn't properly handled, by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think it was near as bad as Losman's handling, though.

I can't say I've seen or know much of what's gone on there but I know what's happened with Losman and it was destined for disaster from the start.

JP was also a disasterous pick. They spent a 1st, 2nd and 5th to take an erratic passer with bad habits and perhaps a questionable feel for the game (I am being kind), and put him on a team with little to no blocking. Then, TD/MM dumped Bledsoe (a year too soon) and placed him in as the starter because their pride suffered after the loss to Pitt. A pretty stupid reson, no?

I do fully agree that JP was mishandled. That goes without saying. Still, even KTFBD agrees that he also must shoulder some of the blame. This is his 5th year. Excuses do run out at some point, or so one would think.