NFL to look into fumble rule.

Steely Dan

League will look into changing fumble rule

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL will look into the inadvertent whistle rule that required officials to give the ball back to Denver in the final seconds of Sunday's game with San Diego.

Jack Dempsey / Associated Press

Jay Cutler's fumble in the fourth quarter was initially called an incomplete pass by referee Ed Hochuli.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL competition committee will look into the rule in the offseason, perhaps changing it as it did the "down by contact" rule.

The play occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers 1-yard-line in the final minute. Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Referee Ed Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10-yard line, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score, convert a 2-point conversion and win 39-38.

Until March 2007, down by contact plays were not reviewable. That rule was changed so that they were reviewable, and if a fumble occurred even after the whistle blew, the team recovering it got possession.

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retrained."

"Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retrained."

I'm sure this makes San Diego feel much better. <_<

"Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retrained."

Unfortunately Hochuli made a mistake and then had to handle the aftermath according to NFL rules. If he had ignored the rule then it opens a can of worms for every coach to request a deviation from the rules on every bad call that can't be reversed.

It was a terrible call made in a high pressure situation - the ref owned up - but too late

San Diego will get one of those polite NFL 'letters" - suitable for framing

Wasn't "Instant replay" supposed to prevent these messes ?

What would the outrage be on TSW - ? "Oh, just give it to them." :devil:

Unfortunately Hochuli made a mistake and then had to handle the aftermath according to NFL rules. If he had ignored the rule then it opens a can of worms for every coach to request a deviation from the rules on every bad call that can't be reversed.

The whistle HAS to stop the action on the field, and anything that happens after it should be moot (with the exception of a penalty for ignoring the whistle). Anything else, is stupid and dangerous, IMO. So, there was no choice in the call, and I don't see how you can change the rule, that was eventually enforced.

The official made a horrendous call, and in the end, SD got hosed, screwed, reamed...you name it.

Norv (who names their kid "Norv"?) stated that was unacceptable, and to a degree he is right. But, over the course of his career has he not made sensationally bad decisions? Have his players ever made unforgivably bad plays on the field? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is, "Yes".

So, what happened? Did he give himself a multi-game suspension, or resign? Did he suspend or cut every player that made a really boneheaded play? I doubt it.

The NFL needs to deal with Hochuli in the way the NFL deals with these kinds of things. If they don't deal with bad officials (or don't do so properly) that is fair game for discussion, and something should be done by league officials. Multiple offenders should be dealt with in a very serious manner (dismissal would be my way). But, what does Norv expect the NFL to do, in this matter? Overturn the outcome?

I say take his steroids away for one year.

The problem ain't the rule, the problem's the whistle. And as Dean-o said, play has to stop with the whistle.

The real solution isn't to address the rule, it's to train the refs to swallow the whistle if they're unsure so you don't get "inadvertent whistles" blowing plays dead. But that still won't stop bad calls, it'll just change how coaches use their challenges.

Really, the only solution is: live with it. As long as the game is officiated by human beings, there will be bad calls. And we will continue to B word about them. At least Hochuli is being honest and forthright about making a mistake, unlike the "Just give it to 'em" gang.

The problem ain't the rule, the problem's the whistle. And as Dean-o said, play has to stop with the whistle.

The real solution isn't to address the rule, it's to train the refs to swallow the whistle if they're unsure so you don't get "inadvertent whistles" blowing plays dead. But that still won't stop bad calls, it'll just change how coaches use their challenges.

Really, the only solution is: live with it. As long as the game is officiated by human beings, there will be bad calls. And we will continue to B word about them. At least Hochuli is being honest and forthright about making a mistake, unlike the "Just give it to 'em" gang.

It's beyond a mistake. It's a class A screw-up that alters the course of a game. If it's a player who whacks a QB 'cause he cannot stop his momentum in time, they're not gonna just say, "Oh. Sorry," and leave it @ that. There's going to be fines and possible suspension, and there's no problem w/ that.

Now, w/ the officials, they mess up, it's a simple "My bad. Oops," and it's over. No fines, suspensions, nothing. Well, maybe a slap 'cross the wrists from Parrera (can't wait to hear his spin on this), but not much more than that. Like players and coaches (who cannot even comment on an officials' performance w/out being fined), officials should be held more accountable than they are. Period.

I think they got the call right. The ball left his hands and went forward. Then hit the ground. Incomplete pass. I still think it was a tighter spiral than most of Favre's passes. <_<

I assume one of two things. You said that just now to incite an argument, or you had yet to see the countless replays available, which clearly show, without even a shred of doubt, the ball going backwards a half-yard to a yard and hitting the ground. Not sure what your bent was, but if it was the latter, you might wanna watch the replay.

And as far as the rule goes, why the rule change didn't apply to this play is still confusing to me. It seems the rule change would have made Hochuli give the Chargers the ball.

I assume one of two things. You said that just now to incite an argument, or you had yet to see the countless replays available, which clearly show, without even a shred of doubt, the ball going backwards a half-yard to a yard and hitting the ground. Not sure what your bent was, but if it was the latter, you might wanna watch the replay.

And as far as the rule goes, why the rule change didn't apply to this play is still confusing to me. It seems the rule change would have made Hochuli give the Chargers the ball.

The problem is the whistle blew before the Chargers got the ball. The play HAS to end at the whistle.

Why not make the rule that the ball changes possession but cannot be advanced because of the whistle? Someone will get hosed because their 99 yard fumble recovery got called back, but it would be better than what happened.

If, as a result of a missed call and after a whistle, the refs start to award the ball to whoever ends up with the ball, players will simply ignore the whistle, as it will no longer mean anything.