Ed Hochuli just hosed the Chargers. Bad.

Simon

The game was on CBS, not NBC. But whatever.

There was a clock malfunction that caused Enberg to not know how much time was left, and he was looking at his monitor in the booth, which was a clean feed free from CBS' graphics.

I thought he was reading off the script. :wallbash:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was reading off the script. :wallbash:

Look, the Chargers got screwed on those two calls. Big time. I'm not denying that.

At the end of the day, though, they still had a chance to stop Denver from the 10-yard line, and again on the 2-point conversion. Those two plays weren't "scripted." Make either of those plays and you win anyway. I'm just saying, when you give up 39 points, it's hard to totally blame it on bad breaks and crooked refs.

The NFL has to change the rules so as not to reward a team for a refs mistake. If a team fumbles and the other team recovers, irregardless of the blown whistle, possession should go to the other team. This is inexcusable.

PTR

I see your point PTR. But players are taught to play to the whistle blows. So if the whistle does blow and everyone stops, how do you call that properly? Clearly it would not have mattered on that play, as no one was even close to the Charger who recovered the fumble. More times than not, though. the whistle blowing stops everyone and everything. It's just an imperfection of the game.

Look, the Chargers got screwed on those two calls. Big time. I'm not denying that.

At the end of the day, though, they still had a chance to stop Denver from the 10-yard line, and again on the 2-point conversion. Those two plays weren't "scripted." Make either of those plays and you win anyway. I'm just saying, when you give up 39 points, it's hard to totally blame it on bad breaks and crooked refs.

I'd be willing to give you that when it comes to the earlier mistake, but the fumble was THE GAME. It's no different than the "just give it to 'em" game where the receiver was both short of the 1st down and out of bounds, and the game would have been over right then and there.

Look, bad officiating is bad officiating. Don't try to excuse it just because the team that got screwed had another chance to win it, when they should have won it earlier. How Hochuli could have ruled that it was an incomplete forward pass when the ball went backwards is a complete mystery and against the laws of physics.

The NFL has to change the rules so as not to reward a team for a refs mistake. If a team fumbles and the other team recovers, irregardless of the blown whistle, possession should go to the other team. This is inexcusable.

PTR

See, I could have sworn that the rule WAS changed a year or two ago to cover this sort of situation. I fully expected the Chargers to get the ball on the replay. But it didn't happen...

I remember lots of complaints about players getting hurt because they'll keep playing even if there's a whistle... Am I misunderstanding what that rule was about?

Just found a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2539849

WTF? Chargers got screwed on the replay too?

" Previously, if a player was ruled down but the ball popped out, the whistle stopped the play in its tracks. Beginning this season, the whistle won't stop the play if the ball comes loose. The play will be reviewable -- it wasn't reviewable if the issue was merely forward progress of the ball carrier -- and could result in a change of possession."

I'd be willing to give you that when it comes to the earlier mistake, but the fumble was THE GAME. It's no different than the "just give it to 'em" game where the receiver was both short of the 1st down and out of bounds, and the game would have been over right then and there.

Look, bad officiating is bad officiating. Don't try to excuse it just because the team that got screwed had another chance to win it, when they should have won it earlier.

Fair enough. I'm just glad we're having a discussion about a team getting hosed not named the Bills.

Guest dog14787

PTR

I agree, a mistake was made with no way to correct it, but bad thing is, You can't fix the problem unless you take away the ability to blow a play dead and you can't really reverse a play blown dead because it may have already effected the out come to begin with when the whistle blew.

Its such a horrible outcome, you have it reviewed , they tell you it should be a fumble and turn over, but nawww, its not happening because the play was blown dead, doggonit, hate when that happens :wallbash:

See, I could have sworn that the rule WAS changed a year or two ago to cover this sort of situation. I fully expected the Chargers to get the ball on the replay. But it didn't happen...

I remember lots of complaints about players getting hurt because they'll keep playing even if there's a whistle... Am I misunderstanding what that rule was about?

Just found a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2539849

WTF? Chargers got screwed on the replay too?

" Previously, if a player was ruled down but the ball popped out, the whistle stopped the play in its tracks. Beginning this season, the whistle won't stop the play if the ball comes loose. The play will be reviewable -- it wasn't reviewable if the issue was merely forward progress of the ball carrier -- and could result in a change of possession."

Sounds like it applies to "down by contact" plays and not to incomplete passes, but it should have given "muscles" Hoculi justification to do the right thing and allow San Diego to recover the fumble.

it's so bad living out here in the land of Broncos myopia. They act like this is just another win. Obviously I don't expect the local media to admit that it was a "gift" but they act like this is just another routine win for "the original Nike whores." They make no mention of there possibly being any controversial calls. They just glide right over it, like it never happened. And of course the front-runners just keep believing a Broncos win is a God-given right.

Oh yeah and then there's this, which I pointed out to the guys I was watching the game with:

Shannahan = Shula from the 1970s and 80s. (someone has nake photos of someone on the officiating/rules commitee) :wallbash:

it's so bad living out here in the land of Broncos myopia. They act like this is just another win. Obviously I don't expect the local media to admit that it was a "gift" but they act like this is just another routine win for "the original Nike whores." They make no mention of there possibly being any controversial calls. They just glide right over it, like it never happened. And of course the front-runners just keep believing a Broncos win is a God-given right.

Oh yeah and then there's this, which I pointed out to the guys I was watching the game with:

Shannahan = Shula from the 1970s and 80s. (someone has nake photos of someone on the officiating/rules commitee) :wallbash:

Patriots West Just give it to them!

Patriots West Just give it to them!

Hammered, you have no idea how bad it is out here. It's seriously a God-given right that the "original Nike-whores" win. Every Monday, I have to hear at least once "How 'bout those Broncos" from someone. I look at these myopes, shake my head and tell say "I remember when I was five years old and the NFL was just a Sunday TV show." Worst fans ever out here, seriously.

First call was a review that never happened because the "replay equipment was not working", which gave the Broncos the ball on a controvercial "fumble" after catch, which, if they could actually rerview the goddam play would have given the ball back to the Bolts.
No excuse for the replay equipment not working especially since CBS had feeds which could have been used. However for the record they reviewed the play during halftime of the Pitt game and it looks like it was a simultaneous catch and would not have been turned over.

Also not denying that SD got screwed by early whistle but I give Hochuli credit for being upfront about making a FU instead of trying to excuse his way out of it. They followed the rules after acknowledging the FU and the rules are what suck.

The worst call was Shanahan's. He was lucky that the low percentage gamble worked out.

I'm no fan of the Chargers, but that was about the worst thing i've ever seen in this league. The fact that the schmoes on NBC didn't really even complain about how bad that was is a testament about how they're all in bed with each other. The announcers need their deals w/ the NFL, and of course the NFL needs the announcers to not completely rail on the officiating...

:thumbsup: