(OT) Boston Looking At Liquor Ban

Rico

What a Sad State of Affairs

Mayor Thomas Menino told the news media later this morning that he was considering banning the serving of liquor in bars in the Fenway Park area once any World Series game gets underway.

He also said he was considering banning still and television cameras from inside bars in the Fenway Park area during games because he felt they contributed to inciting the crowds, mostly young people. He described what had happened as "'senseless''.

More than 1,000 police officers had to be pressed into service to break up the crowds.

Television news reports from the scene showed one SUV on fire, youths throwing waste barrels and others items at buildings and signs. Some fans climbed on roofs and there were reports of fans falling to street after trying to climb up onto Fenway's Green Monster. Others were shown climbing street signs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THe scary thing is that 90% of the arrest are college kids from top Universities & College (BU, BC, NU, Harvard, Emerson) Most of these schools have tuitions over $25K a year!  I think the schools & the students should be responsible to control themselves. Not the Bars & rest?

80347[/snapback]

Sean, you are exactly right. How is this going to stop UNDERage college kids from acting like morons??? And most of them are probably not even Sox fans!!!

A small price to pay to avoid another disaster like this one.  Can you imagine getting the call saying your college aged child was killed in the post game celebration?  :lol:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...id=519&ncid=716

80372[/snapback]

And this was the bars faults, how?

This isnt even "alcohol's fault" It was some !@#$ cop who had been dying his whole career to shoot one of those things. They said the crowd was happy, slappy high fives and cheering. Come on man... .

THe scary thing is that 90% of the arrest are college kids from top Universities & College (BU, BC, NU, Harvard, Emerson) Most of these schools have tuitions over $25K a year!  I think the schools & the students should be responsible to control themselves. Not the Bars & rest?

80347[/snapback]

Take at hazard one hundred children of several educated generations and one hundred uneducated children of the people and compare them in anything you please; in strength, in agility, in mind, in the ability to acquire knowledge, even in morality—and in all respects you are startled by the vast superiority on the side of the children of the uneducated.— Count Leo Tolstoy, "Education and Children" (1862)

This isnt even "alcohol's fault" It was some !@#$ cop who had been dying his whole career to shoot one of those things. They said the crowd was happy, slappy high fives and cheering. Come on man... .

80384[/snapback]

I don't think you can blame the cop, he was doing his job trying to control 80,000 people, it was just a freak accident....

I don't think that theory would be a useful in todays society?

Take at hazard one hundred children of several educated generations and one hundred uneducated children of the people and compare them in anything you please; in strength, in agility, in mind, in the ability to acquire knowledge, even in morality—and in all respects you are startled by the vast superiority on the side of the children of the uneducated.— Count Leo Tolstoy, "Education and Children" (1862)

80405[/snapback]

Some of you guys should go over to the PPP board. People die and they take away rights and abuse the Patriot Act and nobody bats an eyelash. An innocent person dies and they want to ban beer at the stadium to control the crowd and people crawl out of their holes screaming. Interesting.

80452[/snapback]

I'd invite you to tell that to the woman I work with - whom I sit next to - whose niece was the young woman who died outside Fenway Wednesday night.

It isn't the bars, it's the colleges.

and i've never once heard you add anything of substance, so i guess we're even.

80473[/snapback]

That's because I tend to THINK before I just throw a thought down regardless of how stupid it is.

You want substance? Great. Explain to me what you know about this Rambo cop that makes you believe he couldn't wait to shoot off an allegedly non-lethal BB gun.

80384[/snapback]

Where did I say it was the bars' fault? It's the fault of drunken retards that can't celebrate without turning it into a riot that endangers peoples' lives. (Based on your response, I'm sure you'd fit right into the 'drunken retard' category). Unfortunately, people responsible for public safety then have to take draconian measures like this to prevent such tragedies from continuing to happen.

I love how people get a bleeding heart over someone losing a job, but have a "screw 'em" attitude when some innocent kid is killed. Nice !@#$ing priorities.

p.s. Mike -- my condolences to your co-worker.

That's because I tend to THINK before I just throw a thought down regardless of how stupid it is.

You want substance? Great. Explain to me what you know about this Rambo cop that makes you believe he couldn't wait to shoot off an allegedly non-lethal BB gun.

80482[/snapback]

All I know is that the report said the crowd was not violent, but rather joyous.

They said one car was attempted to be overturned. Attempted? So you mean to tell me that the good old cop tactics of "going over and arresting" those few people that werent being just jubilent wouldnt have worked?

Obviously, he fugged up. A girl is dead.

All  I know is that the report said the crowd was not violent, but rather joyous.

They said one car was attempted to be overturned. Attempted? So you mean to tell me that the good old cop tactics of "going over and arresting" those few people that werent being just jubilent wouldnt have worked?

80507[/snapback]

You weren't there. You also know nothing about crowd control, as evidenced by your "going over and arresting" comment.

Everytime someone dies there's a witch hunt.

All  I know is that the report said the crowd was not violent, but rather joyous.

80507[/snapback]

Yes, he obviously fugged up. But that automatically, in your book, makes him a cop who's been waiting his whole life for this very day. THAT's the point. You're so quick to classify someone with little or no thought to both sides of a situation. It's irrational thinking, and you have it down to a science for the sake of just making a statement.