(OT) Boston Looking At Liquor Ban

Rico

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd invite you to tell that to the woman I work with - whom I sit next to - whose niece was the young woman who died outside Fenway Wednesday night.

It isn't the bars, it's the colleges.

80465[/snapback]

You would invite me to tell her what? That people will fight stronger for their right to drink during a sporting event then they will for their privacy rights? It is an observation which I did not support or condemn.

So turning cars over, setting them on fire and throwing bottles and burning cardboard at police wasnt getting violent?

There were certain scenes from Kenmore Sq that looked like Fallujah for christ's sakes.

I'm guessing the troublemakers werent even Sox fans and just hooligans looking for an excuse to cause bedlam. Closing the bars or not selling alcohol on the day of the game will alleviate nothing.

So turning cars over, setting them on fire and throwing bottles and burning cardboard at police wasnt getting violent? 

There were certain scenes from Kenmore Sq that looked like Fallujah for christ's sakes.     

I'm guessing the troublemakers werent even Sox fans and just hooligans looking for an excuse to cause bedlam.      Closing the bars or not selling alcohol on the day of the game will alleviate nothing.

80639[/snapback]

Now there's something with which I can agree. Closing the bars won't keep cops from shooting their pellet guns considering they've been waiting their whole lives to shoot people with them. :lol:

Being a father of four, I can identify with the grief of the man whose daughter was killed.

Being close friends with a city cop, I can see how being outnumbered (conservatively) 1,000 to 60,000 might cause a policeman to make such a horrendous mistake.

Hell, if a similar event happened outside the Ralph, it could have been any of us.

All I can feel is numbed by news like this. :lol:

I don't think there was any trouble in St. Louis last night.  I guess the midwest just knows how to party in style without violence :)

80982[/snapback]

In related news, a number of barnyard animals were found wandering aimlessly throughout the midwest this morning, walking with bowed legs and smoking cigarettes...

Paco you have been busting my balls for weeks now, but THAT was funny.

81003[/snapback]

Having a sense of humor is important, BF. Equally important is minimizing the number of threads started which basically involve the same topic.

That sucks, Mike. Please pass along our condolences.

And you're right. State College has had a lot of problems the last few years - there was even a riot at the freakin' Arts Festival, fer crissakes. And you know what started that one? "Last call."

I read that during that particular melee, the kids were telling the cops "see you after the next football game".....

i guess thats what happens when you have cities that can't handle winning! whenever the yanks win and it is the most out of any sport they have a nice celebration down the canyon of heros.when the chicago bulls used to win or the lakers they destroy their own city in their celebration.hell when the raiders lost the superbowl they wrecked the city and they didn't even win anything.new york gets a bad rep for some stuff,but even when the giants won their superbowls it was very nice and the ny rangers same thing.geez boston hasn't even won anything yet and they are going nuts,so i guess if they win the series we should expect lots more people to die in boston.i mean it is just a game to go out and thrash vans cause they have ny plates on them is ridiculous.its just sports you are supposed to enjoy them not hate people because of what team they root for.or hate people because they come from a town or city that your team has a rivalary with .go bills

Some of you guys should go over to the PPP board. People die and they take away rights and abuse the Patriot Act and nobody bats an eyelash. An innocent person dies and they want to ban beer at the stadium to control the crowd and people crawl out of their holes screaming. Interesting.

80452[/snapback]

There is a difference, my friend.

You're taking a specific group of people from a specific part of the world who are trying to kill us...and apparently anyone else in its path...in mass quantities, and you're comparing it to a bunch of people in our own freakin' country who can't even get through a baseball game without something getting overturned and someone getting killed for no good reason at all.

Two different things and two different problems. Maybe people are screaming because it's not bad enough we have other people trying to kill us, but now we're apparently getting good at doing it to ourselves for no good reason at all. Cop's fault, crowd's fault, beer's fault, my fault... maybe it's your fault, Chuck...but you'd think with the world we live in now, everyone would just try a little harder not to hurt ourselves.

And for what it's worth, you should never try to take away a man's beer. Not during playoffs of any sport.