Palin Open to War with Russia

I prefer the Obama doctrine, where if we agree to accept a country into NATO and agree to the mutual defense of all of its members...

we get to say 'screw this, you're on your own' if Russia attacks.

But of course Obama has never said such a thing.

Let's stick to the facts and ask what is it about Obama's stance on the Russia/Georgia situation you agree and disagree?

WTF are you talking about? Someone asks her a hypothetical question and now she "wants to perpetuate a war or start a cold war"??? :thumbsup:

Scott, you'll be so much happier on the football board arguing about whether it's appropriate to be happy Brady tore up his knee. Trust me.

this brings up an interesting question...

The USA will put anti missile bases in Poland to defend NATO from a missile attack by Iran, or whomever, ya?

this next part is totally hypothetical...

Something goes wrong and a Russian plane is brought down by a Patriot battery or some other wack event.

The Russians retaliate by sending special forces over to Poland, blow up the Patriot site and take it over. Then they tell us to pound sand, they're staying "just to prevent anything like that from happening again"and bring enough troops and equipment for a nice, long, drawn out vacation.

What does the USA and the vaunted NATO do in the 21st century? Do we go to war with with a suddenly defiant Russian military machine if diplomacy doesn't work?

Please try not to focus on the hypothetical military event, why it would never happen, and how we'd never have to encounter that, but rather on what would the response be if there was anything involving a Georgia-style invasion of a NATO member country.

First off Poland's military is better equipped and trained for invasion scenarios than Georgia, and it would not be as easy as it was in Georgia. And unlike Georgia, Russia doesn't directly border Poland, and would have to go through Belarus or Ukraine to get to Poland by land or airspace. So again it isn't just like going over the border as it was in Georgia, which already has some Russian troops there as peacekeepers.

I think it's a mistake to include countries that border Russia and were formerly part of the Soviet Union in NATO. There should be a buffer of countries in between, militarily aligned with neither side, to reduce the possiblity of conflict. Russians are historically paranoid about invasion, and with historical justification. Sticking our military on their borders is only rubbing salt in the wound, and gives them a reason to increase their military strength at a time when we should be trying to make them feel more secure about cooperating, as we did in the 80s and 90s.

First off Poland's military is better equipped and trained for invasion scenarios than Georgia, and it would not be as easy as it was in Georgia. And unlike Georgia, Russia doesn't directly border Poland, and would have to go through Belarus or Ukraine to get to Poland by land or airspace. So again it isn't just like going over the border as it was in Georgia, which already has some Russian troops there as peacekeepers.

I think it's a mistake to include countries that border Russia and were formerly part of the Soviet Union in NATO. There should be a buffer of countries in between, militarily aligned with neither side, to reduce the possiblity of conflict. Russians are historically paranoid about invasion, and with historical justification. Sticking our military on their borders is only rubbing salt in the wound, and gives them a reason to increase their military strength at a time when we should be trying to make them feel more secure about cooperating, as we did in the 80s and 90s.

Yup. No way should we go looking for trouble by including these countries in NATO

Good, tell that to Putin and allay his fears of the Polish threat to the weak Russians in Kaliningrad.

In your purely hypothetical scenario, which of the TEN missile defense missile launchers do you expect to accidentally shoot down a Russian MIG?

My money's on #7.

Please try not to focus on the hypothetical military event, why it would never happen, and how we'd never have to encounter that, but rather on what would the response be if there was anything involving a Georgia-style invasion of a NATO member country.

damn, ya'll did exactly what I asked you not to do

parachuted, walked, ran, rolled in on skateboards...

choose any NATO country, what should we do if the Russians crossed the border?

Kinda like how having Belgium and the Netherlands in the way dissuaded the Germans from going around the fortrified French border. Twice.

I'm sure Belarus would never let the Russians transit - they are fiercely independent. And an excuse to occupy Ukraine is the last thing on Putins mind.

No NATO combat units are stationed in Poland, for the reasons you cite. I suspect the Poles would not last long at all - at least the Georgian troops were hardened and in more difficult terrain.

As to the issue of borders, do you think it was a mistake to invite West Germany, Turkey and Greece into NATO when it was formed? Should we have drawn the line at France?

damn, ya'll did exactly what I asked you not to do

parachuted, walked, ran, rolled in on skateboards...

choose any NATO country, what should we do if the Russians crossed the border?

Long answer cut very short. It depends.

Russia expecting us to uphold our treaty obligations will go a long way towards keeping them from attempting to reclaim the Baltics.

BTW, wtf is a ya'll?

But of course Obama has never said such a thing.

Let's stick to the facts and ask what is it about Obama's stance on the Russia/Georgia situation you agree and disagree?

Well, the Obamites are raising the alarm at the prospect of McCain/Palin honoring the treaty, so we have to presume he would respond differently.

In a campaign, she should have just blown it off and give the standard "it depends", "I would need to know know far more details than can be outlined in an interview". She would have been nailed for dodging the question, but that may have been better tahn to have people twist and contort what she said to fit their agenda.

Neither McCain/Palin nor Obama/Biden are going to "go to war" with Russia. This thread is ridiculous.

In your purely hypothetical scenario, which of the TEN missile defense missile launchers do you expect to accidentally shoot down a Russian MIG?

My money's on #7.

I've heard from inside sources that #3 has issues... :nana: ABMs aren't shooting down planes any time soon...they can't guide on them.

What a ridiculous thread. Wish I'd stayed committed to avoiding it.