Final word on Albany game

macdaddy

Not complaining, but it would have been nicer if he had said how the "feedback" of numerous fans in the area helped influence him and a grown man crying put him over the top.

But hey...whatever it takes. :pirate:

Yes, that would have been nice, and a terrific PR move. But, I'm guessing he didn't want to give any encouragement to outraged fans, for any future decisions/cancellations/etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that would have been nice, and a terrific PR move. But, I'm guessing he didn't want to give any encouragement to outraged fans, for any future decisions/cancellations/etc.

Bingo. Really, I don't care what he says. I'd still put my money on the fans' reaction influencing his decision, nevertheless.

As per your suggestion, I definitely plan on sending a thank-you email. Though, I wouldn't be sure how to word it....this change of heart is unprecedented for WRGB. :pirate:

Bingo. Really, I don't care what he says. I'd still put my money on the fans' reaction influencing his decision, nevertheless.

As per your suggestion, I definitely plan on sending a thank-you email. Though, I wouldn't be sure how to word it....this change of heart is unprecedented for WRGB. :cry:

I don't get it. I really don't. The opinion of thousands of Bills' fans in the area don't count, but a slobbering chief technician does?

I'll bet the article in the paper was the final straw and Mr. Furlong finally realized that his original decision was completely indefensible.

Silver lining: Perhaps the the NYC suits will remember that Buffalo fans do inhabit the Albany market and when they have the choice of forcing a unwanted game or the Bills we won't have to go through this again. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't get it. I really don't. The opinion of thousands of Bills' fans in the area don't count, but a slobbering chief technician does?

It's simply a cop-out, and a weak one at that. That's why I wish he would have recognized the fans. At the same time, as The Dean said, he probably doesn't want to admit that - it basically says that all fans have to do is complain and he'll change his mind. That gives him less leverage in future decisions.

I'll bet the article in the paper was the final straw and Mr. Furlong finally realized that his original decision was completely indefensible.

Silver lining: Perhaps the the NYC suits will remember that Buffalo fans do inhabit the Albany market and when they have the choice of forcing a unwanted game or the Bills we won't have to go through this again. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Perhaps the NYC suits will remember that, but they may not care. By October, they'll forget this happened (if they even know about it) and force us to watch Chiefs-Raiders instead of Bills-Dolphins.

After seeing Furlong's followup email, it's even more obvious that he's just a tool doing what he's told. Why didn't he recognize the fans who called/emailed? Because they didn't make any difference, at least not to him. Somebody at corporate told him they decided to air the Bills-Jags.

Are you guys positive the bills game is being aired now? When I check the TV listing at zap2it.com it is still showing Minnesota vs. Indianapolis for the 1 PM game on cbs.

My roommate is the technical director at CBS 6 and confirmed to me tonight that their studio was SWAMPED with emails and calls demanding the Bills be aired. Pretty damn cool, he said it was the first time he had ever seen them go back on a decision to air an NFL game.

My roommate is the technical director at CBS 6 and confirmed to me tonight that their studio was SWAMPED with emails and calls demanding the Bills be aired. Pretty damn cool, he said it was the first time he had ever seen them go back on a decision to air an NFL game.

We friggin' rock. :thumbsup:

Epilogue: If the Jets trump the Bills for all season on channel 6, only Bills appearances assured are the games against the Jets. Week 4 competition is SD @Oak, week 5 Cin @ Dallas and NE @ SF. So if WRGB plays hardball and likes the Jets over the Bills all the time, Albany will not see much of the Bills. If they alternate with the Jets, we'll be ok.

Are you guys positive the bills game is being aired now? When I check the TV listing at zap2it.com it is still showing Minnesota vs. Indianapolis for the 1 PM game on cbs.

My digital cable guide still says that, also...though I'm guessing it may take a little time for Time Warner to update it.

At least....I hope....

:thumbsup:

Ken Schott was supposed to hear from them about the actual number of emails and calls they got. I hope he updates his blog with that.

Ken Schott was supposed to hear from them about the actual number of emails and calls they got. I hope he updates his blog with that.

Probably Saturday. If the BillsBeat staff doesn't get to it -- and they rock, so that's an unlikely occurrence -- I'll send the link their way when he posts it.

That's awesome. I'm happy to know the Capital Region has got so many Bills fans! I'll down one for all you this Sunday during the J'ville Beatdown! :thumbsup:

Epilogue: If the Jets trump the Bills for all season on channel 6, only Bills appearances assured are the games against the Jets. Week 4 competition is SD @Oak, week 5 Cin @ Dallas and NE @ SF. So if WRGB plays hardball and likes the Jets over the Bills all the time, Albany will not see much of the Bills. If they alternate with the Jets, we'll be ok.

The Jets have top priority because this year Ch 6 had the Jets preseason games, making them the Jets station. I figure we won't get many games, but we'll be flexed 1 or 2 times in Nov/Dec to national games.

The slobbering man in his office was a metaphor for all us Bills fans...

'I can't stand to see a grown man cry'

Backhanded stab just as his original email

'whether you agree with it or not'

Just another pompos corporate ashe that thinks he can talk down to the people.

Little does he know that I am closer to him than he thinks and I will extract my revenge.

I'll keep you posted.

Hahaha...ha.hahah...hahahaha....