Atlanta Airport

\GoBillsInDallas/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yeah. I've looked at driving to Chattanooga or Birmingham instead of Atlanta, and I'm about 35 miles north of ATL. That said, the worst part is usually dealing with parking, traffic, and the security checkpoint. Once your past security, it's just a matter of wading through the ridiculous number of people to find your gate.

The Buffalo airport is a freaking wonderland when compared to Atlanta.

...and 30 mins won't cut it unless you arrive on the same concourse you depart from. Even then, push back is a few mins prior to departure time.

Though, some times you wind up sitting in the "take off line" for 30 minutes.

No kidding about the security checkpoint. I think I was standing in that thing for about two hours one time. Almost missed my flight out. :pirate:

Portland's airport is one of the best. :huh:

Too short of a time to connect between flights?

We went to the Thursday night Jacksonville game in October 2001, not many people flying after the attacks.

I am an inexpeirenced flyer, booked two round trips for $300. Had a halfhour layover in Atlanta at lunchtime. We made it to the terminal, I went and took a leek and when I got back they were boarding.

Found out after I boarded they were looking for people to bump, which I would have jumped at.

Give yourself more time, and if you are not in hurry check and see if they are overbooked.

I fly through Atlanta alot and I never book flights that have less than 90 minutes between flights. Here's why, if the 1st flight is even 15 minutes late you're running between concourses. 2nd more often than not the gate you're pulling into is already occupied. I have landed on time and sat on the tarmac for up to 30 mins at a time waiting for the gate to clear. Why they don't just move the plane to an unoccupied gate is beyond me! :pirate:

i live in atlanta and use the airport frequently. i must be one of the lucky ones because i never have a problem with it. even when the line for security is long, it usually moves pretty quickly because they open up 50 checkpoint lanes.

as far as connecting flights goes, 30 minutes is short, but that is short anywhere. try flying into Philly with that layover, you would never have a chance of making it. there is no train, just a bus to other terminals.

i dont know. i guess im just used to it or know how to work the system or both, because atlanta is never the problem for me. i was just there this weekend for the trip to the home opener and back and it was clean and not that busy.

if the flights are with the same airline you'll probably be fine because theyll probably be in the same terminal. good luck!

Not if you're checking bags--they'll never make it.

Atlanta airport is terrible (I think it's the busiest in the country). If you have to go from terminal A to E, it'll be tough.

yeah, 30 minutes between flights basically ensures your bags wont make it to your second flight. but that would happen in any airport.

By the way, not sure if this is in other airports, but what about those dismal smoking rooms in the Atlanta airport? People just puffing away under a cloud of smoke looking sickly--it's actually a pretty sorry sight (no offense to the smokers here).

At least they exist. Many times, I have to go back through security, just to get outside and have a smoke, then wait in the security line again, all due to a flight delay. I travel a lot, both business and personal.

God bless airports like Tampa (outdoor smoking patio in the terminal), JetBlue's JFK terminal (bar and flight info on both sides of security, so you only go through security when your flight is ready), and any on this list that accomodate all travelers.

http://www.travelpost.com/airport-smoking-lounges.aspx

I have even signed up for the CLEAR traveler program, just so that I can bypass the security line at participating airports every time I head outside for a smoke.

At least they exist. Many times, I have to go back through security, just to get outside and have a smoke, then wait in the security line again, all due to a flight delay. I travel a lot, both business and personal.

God bless airports like Tampa (outdoor smoking patio in the terminal), JetBlue's JFK terminal (bar and flight info on both sides of security, so you only go through security when your flight is ready), and any on this list that accomodate all travelers.

http://www.travelpost.com/airport-smoking-lounges.aspx

I have even signed up for the CLEAR traveler program, just so that I can bypass the security line at participating airports every time I head outside for a smoke.

Or you could quit! :cry:

i live in atlanta and use the airport frequently. i must be one of the lucky ones because i never have a problem with it. even when the line for security is long, it usually moves pretty quickly because they open up 50 checkpoint lanes.

as far as connecting flights goes, 30 minutes is short, but that is short anywhere. try flying into Philly with that layover, you would never have a chance of making it. there is no train, just a bus to other terminals.

i dont know. i guess im just used to it or know how to work the system or both, because atlanta is never the problem for me. i was just there this weekend for the trip to the home opener and back and it was clean and not that busy.

if the flights are with the same airline you'll probably be fine because theyll probably be in the same terminal. good luck!

The 3 times i have been through Hartsfield, I haven't had issues with sanitation or flight problems. The only issue I had was getting a rental (even when reserving the car, the bastards lost my rental). That said, it is nice to be down here away from the city.

Agree, I find it one of the easiest airports to navigate and until recently I was logging 100K+BIS miles a year.

As other posters have said, you can make it gate to gate, but there's a fair chance you'll be dleayed coming in, or have a delay on the tarmac. If the ticket is much cheaper with the 30 minute connection...and it's on the same airline, I'd buy it. Delta/Airtran are fairly good at accomodating passangers with missed connections. Just assume you'll end up on a later flight.

Agree, I find it one of the easiest airports to navigate and until recently I was logging 100K+BIS miles a year.

As other posters have said, you can make it gate to gate, but there's a fair chance you'll be dleayed coming in, or have a delay on the tarmac. If the ticket is much cheaper with the 30 minute connection...and it's on the same airline, I'd buy it. Delta/Airtran are fairly good at accomodating passangers with missed connections. Just assume you'll end up on a later flight.

That's a good point... if you go with one of those two and you miss a connection, you're out a few hours in Atlanta. Not the worst thing that could happen (hell, I've been here a few *years* now, and I'm okay!).

Nah! What fun is that?

Just for all the smokers out there, the Budweiser Ale House in terminal A in Atlanta has a smoking section. Yes, you have to buy a beer or something, but well worth it!! Much nicer than those smoking roomsTake it form me, I spent many an hr in that bar. It is located right next to the up escalators coming from the train. You will see a another escalator heading up to the bar right there. Added bonus is the pooper is pretty clean in there, plus only a single so you have some privacy .

BTW i agree with the earlier poster about the ease of the airport. I never worry about getting htrough in more than twenty minutes from walking in terminal to through security. I have spent 45 minutes doing the same thing in Buffalo on many occasions.

And yes, 30 minutes not long enough. I cannot believe an airline is even selling you those flights, I thought they had a 45 minute minimum or something. I would say 25% chance of making it in 30 minutes , tops