NFL Injuries - 2008

BillsVet

There's been a lot of talk about expanding the NFL season, in essence to increase revenue for owners as a compromise when the CBA comes up later this year. At this point (and Roger Goodell has said it won't happen before 2010) I can't see the NFLPA ever agreeing to a 17 or 18 game season and shortening the preseason. There's too much risk for injuries.

It's alarming again how many players are hurt already this year, and this morning the list grew even larger. Seattle lost starting guard Rob Sims, to go along with their three receivers of Branch, Burleson, and Engram. Miami and Jacksonville lost starting guards. Marques Colston is out 4-6 weeks, (edit: Rams) WR Drew Bennett the same time as Colston, and of course everyone's favorite man to hate, Tom Brady, is done for the season. Throw in the Vince Young's injury (he could be mentally and physically hurt), and in one week, the NFL has lost a host of name players.

Of course, this happens every year, but with teams spending more money and expectations high, losing key players seems to be at an all-time high.

Brady didn't play in the preseason, so he cannot be used as a reason to shorten it.

True. My point is that more games equal more injuries, and with marquee names hitting the IR and injury report, I can't see the players association wanting more. Every year the pre-season claims a few name guys, but 16 games seems to be enough.

Players are bigger and faster than ever before.

The average NFL career has held steady at just under 4 years for quite some time.

The fact is, it's a violent game, players will get hurt, and that is why (for the most part) teams are immediately searching for your replacement the day they sign you.

The major question about a longer season is how it will require teams to have more serious depth. As it is, getting through 16 games without some major player getting hurt is hard; add two weeks and you can pretty much guarantee that you will lose someone sometime.

One also wonders if a longer season will also include a bye week... or more playoff rounds... which would push the Super Bowl beyond Lincon's birthday.

There's been a lot of talk about expanding the NFL season, in essence to increase revenue for owners as a compromise when the CBA comes up later this year. At this point (and Roger Goodell has said it won't happen before 2010) I can't see the NFLPA ever agreeing to a 17 or 18 game season and shortening the preseason. There's too much risk for injuries.

It's alarming again how many players are hurt already this year, and this morning the list grew even larger. Seattle lost starting guard Rob Sims, to go along with their three receivers of Branch, Burleson, and Engram. Miami and Jacksonville lost starting guards. Marques Colston is out 4-6 weeks, Seattle WR Drew Bennett the same time as Colston, and of course everyone's favorite man to hate, Tom Brady, is done for the season. Throw in the Vince Young's injury (he could be mentally and physically hurt), and in one week, the NFL has lost a host of name players.

Of course, this happens every year, but with teams spending more money (and at the same time making more money) and expectations high, losing key players seems to be at an all-time high.

I fixed your post.

The major question about a longer season is how it will require teams to have more serious depth. As it is, getting through 16 games without some major player getting hurt is hard; add two weeks and you can pretty much guarantee that you will lose someone sometime.

One also wonders if a longer season will also include a bye week... or more playoff rounds... which would push the Super Bowl beyond Lincon's birthday.

Teams have already wised up to the preseason injuries, playing only near-future construction workers and Topps bagboys -at considerable expense to the consumer- in the final tune up. I've been thinking just add another round of playoffs if the owners won't approve lessening the season by a meaningless game or two.

You're right, 'Black History Month' is pretty short. The Pro Bowl might conflict with St. Patricks Day festivities.

Drew Bennett plays for St. Louis, I think you meant Nate Burleson.

Also, Branch and Engram can never stay healthy.

Sure, Tommy Water-Pistol is a huge name to lose, Vince Young also, but he also sits out frequently with muscle bruises or a sand-filled vagina. But Wide Receivers going down and guards getting nicked up aren't that huge of deals. 17 players on an IR is a big deal, single injuries around the league for seperate teams, not so much.

I fixed your post.

Yes, the owners and players are raking in the dollars, especially with the recent CBA pushed through by Tagliabue. The point is, the next CBA will be even more difficult to negotiate with players getting something around 59% of league revenue. As much as players liked that deal, it was obvious the owners weren't happy. So much so, that it was overwhelmingly rejected earlier this year.

Goodell understands there's a looming situation with the next CBA. He's looking for a compromise, and having 1-2 additional games may (or may not) alleviate what is probably going to be tough talks when owners demand more for themselves. I have a feeling the players won't be eager to give any percentage of revenue back to the owners.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business that seemingly has no limit to its growth. IMO, the players association will point to injuries as a means of shooting down Goodell's move to expand the regular season. A 16 game grind is already a long season.

I heard a few minutes of an interview with Art Monk earlier today that covered this topic. Art seemed to think that regardless of the length of preseason, 16 regular season games are enough. He said the preparation and intensity that goes into regular season games -- both mental and physical -- inflicts a heavy toll on players.

Guest dog14787
I heard a few minutes of an interview with Art Monk earlier today that covered this topic. Art seemed to think that regardless of the length of preseason, 16 regular season games are enough. He said the preparation and intensity that goes into regular season games -- both mental and physical -- inflicts a heavy toll on players.

Shorten the preseason, add a couple of teams to the playoffs from each conference and have a wild card weekend.

Add a round to the playoffs :(

Teams are already reduced to carrying 80 players on their rosters in the preseason. That may sound like a lot, but with all four, sometimes five preseason games, teams quickly run short at certain positions. Polian admitted he made a bad call volunteering for the HOF game, because it's just an opportunity for further injury.

Shorten the preseason, add a couple of teams to the playoffs from each conference and have a wild card weekend.

Add a round to the playoffs :pirate:

On paper, that's still a reach. Already, the SB is the first week in February, and as other have noted, makes the season longer than it already is. I don't think the playoffs need tweaking, and six teams is enough. That's especially the case in the NFC, in which 8-8 teams seem to flirt with the playoffs each year. That may not be the case in the AFC, but no .500 team should ever make the postseason. BTW, there's already a wild card weekend, followed by the divisional round, the conference championship, a bye week, and finally the SB.