My top ten thoughts on the game

Kelly the Dog

1] I think easily that Marcus Stroud* is the best and most important player on the team. He makes every single player on that defense better. And I think that Donte Whitner is going to the Pro Bowl because of Stroud, unless there is an injury to either of them. Fewell is now allowed to use Whitner as he pleases instead of covering for everyone else, which is one of the reasons people havent seen how good Whitner is.

2] Mitchell played a helluva game. He was all over the place, as was Poz, which to me is also a tribute to Stroud*.

*Spencer Johnson also made a huge difference. He was extremely active and solid in his first game.

3] I thought Trent was damn good, and exactly as we want him to be in a game like this. He made 2-3 terrific throws. He was efficient and he didnt make the big mistake. His throws downfield were woefully short but most of them were simply misjudgments and something he can learn. On a team with a defense, we can win a ton of games with him playing like this, and I think he can play a lot better.

4] Shonert, for the most part, called a very good game. The team wasn't predictable. We actually called some play action. Splitting Marshawn wide was nice (although I would keep him in the backfield and then split him out so he maybe has a LB on him instead of a safety. I hated the five wide on third and one, but loved that we went for the endzone after the turnover.

5] If not for Stroud, Roscoe was easily the MVP. What a game-changer that was, and he is now, if I am not mistaken, the top PR in NFL History. Highest average ever (although Hester may be close or even slightly ahead).

6] I think we have to say that Jauron had his team ready to play. He didn't get in the way. He had good game plans. He wasn't conservative. This was almost the most important element to come out of this game because I actually expected Stroud to change the defense. I knew Parrish was great. I thought it would be difficult for Seattle to come across the country and play on the road without three WR and a couple of important players on D. What I didn't know is how well Jauron would prepare this team with the Crowell and Peters issues, as well as the first time having some talent at his disposal.

7] My bad for waiting this long to mention Bobby April. He could have been the MVP, too. Simply amazing that he can lose so many players and still have his guys executing like that. They won the game. It helps having Parrish and Terrence, but still.

8] Our CBs went from being a weakness to a strength. I attribute a lot of this to the DL but both Terrence and Jabari had good games. It makes a huge difference they were playing against scrubs, but I don't see the next two games being much different.

9] The OL played decent without Peters, which shoots another solid hole in the holdout theory. Not only didn't Brandon cave but neither did Walker and Chambers, and good for them.

10] I hate to say this, but I think the Bills have as good a chance as either the Pats or the Jets for the AFC East crown, as long as Stroud doesnt get hurt.

Agree that April is the man and Stroud is a beast. Expected him to help the run D, but pressure on the QB up the gut is something we couldn't even do w/ Pat Williams.

Edwards was ok, not great. I thought he threw the endzone ball to Evans (before the Lynch td) too late but I could be wrong.

For any/all of Jauron's weaknesses I haven't frequently had the feeling that his teams weren't ready to play in the last two years, so I'm not sure why that should come as a surprise.

I liked Schonert going for the endzone after the fumble.

I don't have any complaints about the secondary but I'm a little hesitant to praise them that much. I mean on top getting pressure up front, the Hawks scrubs dropped a lot of passes, their TE was wide open on a deep seam despite 3 blue shirts in the area and fortunately Hass overthrew him.

1] I think easily that Marcus Stroud* is the best and most important player on the team. He makes every single player on that defense better. And I think that Donte Whitner is going to the Pro Bowl because of Stroud, unless there is an injury to either of them. Fewell is now allowed to use Whitner as he pleases instead of covering for everyone else, which is one of the reasons people havent seen how good Whitner is.

2] Mitchell played a helluva game. He was all over the place, as was Poz, which to me is also a tribute to Stroud*.

*Spencer Johnson also made a huge difference. He was extremely active and solid in his first game.

3] I thought Trent was damn good, and exactly as we want him to be in a game like this. He made 2-3 terrific throws. He was efficient and he didnt make the big mistake. His throws downfield were woefully short but most of them were simply misjudgments and something he can learn. On a team with a defense, we can win a ton of games with him playing like this, and I think he can play a lot better.

4] Shonert, for the most part, called a very good game. The team wasn't predictable. We actually called some play action. Splitting Marshawn wide was nice (although I would keep him in the backfield and then split him out so he maybe has a LB on him instead of a safety. I hated the five wide on third and one, but loved that we went for the endzone after the turnover.

5] If not for Stroud, Roscoe was easily the MVP. What a game-changer that was, and he is now, if I am not mistaken, the top PR in NFL History. Highest average ever (although Hester may be close or even slightly ahead).

6] I think we have to say that Jauron had his team ready to play. He didn't get in the way. He had good game plans. He wasn't conservative. This was almost the most important element to come out of this game because I actually expected Stroud to change the defense. I knew Parrish was great. I thought it would be difficult for Seattle to come across the country and play on the road without three WR and a couple of important players on D. What I didn't know is how well Jauron would prepare this team with the Crowell and Peters issues, as well as the first time having some talent at his disposal.

7] My bad for waiting this long to mention Bobby April. He could have been the MVP, too. Simply amazing that he can lose so many players and still have his guys executing like that. They won the game. It helps having Parrish and Terrence, but still.

8] Our CBs went from being a weakness to a strength. I attribute a lot of this to the DL but both Terrence and Jabari had good games. It makes a huge difference they were playing against scrubs, but I don't see the next two games being much different.

9] The OL played decent without Peters, which shoots another solid hole in the holdout theory. Not only didn't Brandon cave but neither did Walker and Chambers, and good for them.

10] I hate to say this, but I think the Bills have as good a chance as either the Pats or the Jets for the AFC East crown, as long as Stroud doesnt get hurt.

11]I'd like to add some love for Denny

1] I think easily that Marcus Stroud* is the best and most important player on the team. He makes every single player on that defense better.

Agreed. The amazing thing to me was how much movement skills he's got, in addition to being a run stuffing pocket pusher. He can flat out run for a big man, which is opening up all kinds of options for the D (I really liked that sugar huddle set and zone dogs they used in the second half).

That said, I hope they use a 4-man DT rotation next week to offset the heat/fatigue factor. Stroud's gonna be a man possesed against Jax, but we have to be smart about keeping him fresh in 90-degree heat.

Our coaching staff has always impressed me with their week to week preparation. Even going back to a few years ago when Fewell had that incredible game plan in the Indy game, that far out matched Bills team was in the game to the very end and had no business being there.

I really think Jauran and Company have learned some very good lessons from mistakes they've made in the past (see Dallas game) and they won't be making those mistakes again.

I could have used a few more play action passes today but I thought the play calling on offense was just head and shoulders above anything we've seen in years. Fewell, and April for that matter are just mad scientists...don't know if anyone noticed but at one point there were 4 DE's on the field on passing situations. And on one play I saw Kyle Williams at DE and Schobel at DT and Aaron got pressure right in Hasselback's face to force another punt I believe. That defense was just unbelievable today led by an absolute MONSTER in Stroud.

I'm excited!

Fine post, Kelly, and good points everyone.

I had a little scare, right after Roscoe's score (I think), when we gave a big return right back to them and a couple big passes moved them down the field fast. Was that when their guy dropped that easy pass at the goal line? I was afraid we might be letting them climb back into the game...

Anyway, I've seen this before, where we give up a big special teams play right after making one ourselves. Momentum is a funny thing, and we haven't always been able to close out games.

Hopefully that was then...

One thing I forgot in the Dick Jauron comment was the Bills only had one penalty I think the entire game. That is tremendous.

Forgot about this myself....absolutely amazing! Remember only a few short years ago every game was just a penalty fest? Another sign of good coaching.

And with all those peel back blocks on Roscoe's return (seemed like their were about 4 or 5) to not have a block in the back really impressed me.

Great 10 Kelly! :wallbash: Here's my top ten:

1. It's the first game nobody should get too excited.

2. This was a TEAM win. The worst part of the team was the offense and they were still pretty good.

3. Stroud is a beast and if he continues through the season like this then Jerksonville made a HUGE mistake by trading him. He does exactly what everybody thought he'd do and that was free up the DE's to make plays and help the run defense.

4. Special Teams are well coached on what to do when a man on the outside isn't covered. It's just common sense to pass to him. In addition to being a great punter Moorman can throw too. That's why he's the emergency QB.

5. Roscoe proved why the Bills gave him a new contract last year.

6. The team kept fighting all game even when they had a big lead. The intensity never decreased. Props to Jauron.

7. Only ONE penalty. Props again to Jauron for having his team disciplined well.

8. Jauron,today, made his detractors look like idiots.

9. TE isn't great but he's not making game killing mistakes. That's exactly what he should be doing now. Marv Levy said smart players get better. TE is very smart and I see him improving as the year goes on. He did a good job of spreading the ball around today.

10. Bobby April is a genius if he can lose all of the players he did this year and still have a stellar ST unit.

I have to give props to the people on this board who's opinions I incorporated into this list.

And it was a questionable call at best.

You're right. Very questionable.

The team was very well prepared. Surely, everything went well, but when was the last time, against a good team, that all three phases of the team, offense, defense, and special teams, not only all played mistake free games but made serious play after serious play. Usually with this team, a good offensive or defensive or special teams effort will be wasted when one of the others falters. This game, all three came to play.

Again, I think with the injuries and coming across the country, and Hasselback missing the pre-season, it helped catching the Seahags at this time. But this is the NFL and you need to show up and execute against anyone. We really played well.

Just got home from the game. My quick thoughts (without the benefit of any video replay):

-- Jason who? No pressure from the left side all game. I WANT Peters back in the lineup, but what depth we now have at tackle. Who said Langston Walker is overpaid?

-- As noted previously, Stroud is a monster. 'Nuff said.

-- Best secondary in the league? It's a possibility. I know these were 3rd and 4th string wideouts, but still...

-- Lee Evans earned a couple of dollars on that salary negotiation today. He IS one of the best WRs in the league.

-- Youboty keeps making plays; I'm really happy for this guy, and hope he keeps it up.

-- When is the last time we, as fans, enjoyed the luxury of a meaningless 4th quarter against a perennial playoff team?

-- Moorman to Denney; are you freaking kidding me?!!!

-- Anyone who thinks Jauron is "too conservative" or has his hands in the playcalling got a serious come-uppins today.

Great win. Enjoy it for a day and get to work on putting the Jags in an 0-2 hole.

Makes you wonder why the coaching staff and/or management didn't notice that we needed a legit NT even if the scheme doesn't call for one!

Kavika was a monster. Did you notice how he jumped over the center on his sack? :lol: He couldn't wait for the ball to be snapped. Poz was crazed with hunger. Cept on 1 run play where he was horribly out of position.

Not in the 1st half but that can be blamed on the rain or jitters. Evans dropped 3 easy balls, BTW, prolly for the same reasons (I'm not even talking about the throw in the EZ).

Are you kidding? He had an excellent game plan. Seattle didn't know what was coming! Except like you said, we need to establish an identity on 3rd and very short. Give your OL and RB some credit to convert. Pound it baby!!!

I'd put it on the front 7. Man they were licking their chops. Woulda loved to have seen their eyes before each snap. Hasselbeck was absolutely bedeviled on every drop back. That near Kelsay sack had me rolling.

Would love to know whose idea it was to bring in Stroud, Johnson, Mitchell, cuz it's gonna be huge for the next few years.

I felt really bad for Bruce Dehaven for being "pantsed" on his return to Buffalo like that. BTW when does April's contract expire?

Dude! I've been saying all preseason that we have the best secondary, bar none, in the NFL! :lol:

Haha, man on that Royal TD you could see Kerney desperate to get to TE. His bullrush almost got there but Chambers held his ground and Trent just shrug him off and fired downfield. Before that, Kirk pwned him and didn't give the DE so much as a whiff of Edwards after shave.

More than a chance buddy. :wallbash:

This was one of the most encouraging aspects of the game. The fact that Fewell could put our DBs on an island to enable jail-break blitzes was a huge factor. (Granted, the Seattle WRs were recently called up from JV, but what better way to try it out and let McGee and Greer prove their chops?) Also encouraging was Youboty's active, disruptive performance in his first game as #1 nickel.