Free Agent LB's 09

Buffalo Mike1

I kind of like that Crowell guy. He might be cheap too because he spent the whole season on the IR.

So because he had a 2-3 week injury, he'll be really cheap now?

If Angelo was in the plans for the Bills next season, I really doubt they would have put him on IR. You can like Crowell all you want, the Bills don't.

Channing Crowder would be a good replacement for Crowell. Probably an upgrade actually. I don't see Tuna, as the "Big Cahuna" in Miami, letting the guy walk though. I think he'll be extended before the year is out. Vilma is a MLB and could give us the opportunity to move Poz to the ROLB position. Don't know if that would be a good place for Poz really.

Now this right here is the list we should really be focused on. The list of LB's coming up in this year's draft potentially:

Inside Linebacker

James Laurinaitis, Ohio St

Rey Maualuga, USC

Brandon Spikes, Florida, Jr.

Darryl Beckwith, LSU

Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina

Scott McKillop, Pitt

Worrell Williams, Cal

Dave Philistin, Maryland

Ronnie Palmer, Arizona

Daniel Holtzclaw, Eastern Michigan

Outside Linebacker

Brian Cushing, USC

Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.

Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

Gerald McRath, Southern Miss, Jr.

Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, Jr.

Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida

Zach Follett, Cal

Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin

Anthony Felder, Cal

Anthony Heygood, Purdue

So because he had a 2-3 week injury, he'll be really cheap now?

If Angelo was in the plans for the Bills next season, I really doubt they would have put him on IR. You can like Crowell all you want, the Bills don't.

I was joking but to be honest, for all we know he has a degenerative knee problem and may never be the player he was again. We heve seen first hand what knee problems can do to Linebackers. If he would have played this year and done a very good job in this new defense, he may have gotten much more as a FA than he might get by not having a chance to showcase his abilities.

Channing Crowder would be a good replacement for Crowell. Probably an upgrade actually. I don't see Tuna, as the "Big Cahuna" in Miami, letting the guy walk though. I think he'll be extended before the year is out. Vilma is a MLB and could give us the opportunity to move Poz to the ROLB position. Don't know if that would be a good place for Poz really.

Now this right here is the list we should really be focused on. The list of LB's coming up in this year's draft potentially:

Inside Linebacker

James Laurinaitis, Ohio St

Rey Maualuga, USC

Brandon Spikes, Florida, Jr.

Darryl Beckwith, LSU

Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina

Scott McKillop, Pitt

Worrell Williams, Cal

Dave Philistin, Maryland

Ronnie Palmer, Arizona

Daniel Holtzclaw, Eastern Michigan

Outside Linebacker

Brian Cushing, USC

Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.

Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

Gerald McRath, Southern Miss, Jr.

Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, Jr.

Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida

Zach Follett, Cal

Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin

Anthony Felder, Cal

Anthony Heygood, Purdue

Exactly what I was thinking, I wouldn't mind seeing Laurinatis in a Bills uniform next year.

Yeah, but I hear he has a real attitude problem.

I dont know how you could say that. He's been on the team for 6 years, never complained when he was a backup. As a third round pick, he proved to be good value - not a superstar, but not a dud either - just SOLID. Every player on that defense always said he was a leader. He was the only guy on the defense last year that didn't miss a game. I never heard anything about him having attitude problems. The reason why he didn't get surgery earlier was because he wanted to be there for his team. I feel for the guy.

But I don't blame the FO for any of this, like others that I keep hearing on this board. They had to make a decision, and they had to make it fast. Obviously they were made they couldn't put him on the PUP list - in their minds all he had to do was say this injury a few weeks before, and he could have gotten the exemption. If my understanding is correct, and if his injury heals fast, the Bills could release him and sign him back (provided nobody else would wanna pick him up). But this theory has some huge holes, namely the Bills AND Crowell would have to get past their tension. I can't see any other team bringing in a linebacker with a prior history of a bum knee and limited knowledge of a system 4-8 games into the season.

I'm partial to Cushing myself. The guy is a beast. He's played Safety, Defensive End, and now is a SLB. That's the spot Crowell was playing. He has pass coverage skills beyond most LB's and is very strong against the run. A guy who can make a play any down, any situation. Whether he's there or not when we pick will be the question.

Maualuga's a monster too, but the guy is a clear-cut MLB after the mold of Junior Seau. Watch tapes of Seau when he was young and you will see that Rey is the reincarnate. He WILL be a Pro Bowl LB in the NFL if he remains healthy. He won't be on the board when we pick.

Laurinaitis is an "animal" (pun intended) on the field going sideline to sideline making tackles, but he'll be off of the board when we pick too. He reminds me of Urlacher and can be a Pro Bowl player as well.

Marcus Freeman is a good LB that would fit well in that SLB spot. As Laurinaitis' running mate at Ohio St. last year he piled up 95 tackles, 7.5 for loss. The guy also has enough speed to cover the TE.

The guy I would want though, if we can't get Cushing, is Aaron Curry from Wake Forest. I think he's the second best OLB in the draft. Last year the guy had 99 tackles, 13.5 for loss, and 4 interceptions (3 returned for TD's). The guy is a playmaker. At 6'3", 247 lbs. the guy can still make plays all over the field.

Cushing would be my first choice by far, but Aaron Curry would be my second choice.