Shouldn't Biden try to bury Sarah Palin in the debate

I can't believe some of this talk that Biden better not bully or talk down to this poor woman in the debate because it will backfire. What is that supposed to mean? Isn't it the height of sexism to complain that someone in a VP debate should be kinder to a woman than a man? He shouldn't talk down to her because she is a woman where it would be okay to talk down to her (if she deserved it) if she were a man? He shouldnt bully his opponent in a debate when the idea of a debate is to bully and embarrass your opponent as much as possible if you can?

Do you think if she were, God forbid, to become President, world leaders would be any less bullying or tough because they would or should respect a woman? That idea that he better not crush her (if he can of course, she may crush him) because she is a woman is offensive to the office of the Presidency and Vice Presidency. If she can't take it, or if she deserves privileges to protect her because she is a woman, she shouldn't be running. If Hilary was the Democratic candidate should McCain not bully her because she is a woman? Of course not. McCain should try to bully and bury her if he could. That is just stupid.

I am not at all saying that Biden should do what the idiot in the NYS Senate debate did against Hilary, since that was monumentally stupid, like what Gore did to Bush in one of those debates. Surely all decorum of a debate should be followed. I surely wasn't talking about anything in a physical sense.

Nothing about Governor Palin's race, creed, color, or gender should affect one bit about how she should be treated, or how she acts, in the debate.

I can't believe some of this talk that Biden better not bully or talk down to this poor woman in the debate because it will backfire. What is that supposed to mean? Isn't it the height of sexism to complain that someone in a VP debate should be kinder to a woman than a man? He shouldn't talk down to her because she is a woman where it would be okay to talk down to her (if she deserved it) if she were a man? He shouldnt bully his opponent in a debate when the idea of a debate is to bully and embarrass your opponent as much as possible if you can?

Do you think if she were, God forbid, to become President, world leaders would be any less bullying or tough because they would or should respect a woman? That idea that he better not crush her (if he can of course, she may crush him) because she is a woman is offensive to the office of the Presidency and Vice Presidency. If she can't take it, or if she deserves privileges to protect her because she is a woman, she shouldn't be running. If Hilary was the Democratic candidate should McCain not bully her because she is a woman? Of course not. McCain should try to bully and bury her if he could. That is just stupid.

I am not at all saying that Biden should do what the idiot in the NYS Senate debate did against Hilary, since that was monumentally stupid, like what Gore did to Bush in one of those debates. Surely all decorum of a debate should be followed. I surely wasn't talking about anything in a physical sense.

Nothing about Governor Palin's race, creed, color, or gender should affect one bit about how she should be treated, or how she acts, in the debate.

Biden should watch his arrogance, but I agree with you that he shouldn't back down. If he remains calm, talks about his family experience to counter her motherhood and the switches directly to the facts, disagreeing as appropriate, while treating her with respect. He should not try and educate her with his specific knowledge but just stick to the facts and what he would do. Keep his sentences brief and to the point and leave open ended questions for her to try and deal with and then counter punch with the flaws of those statements, but keep even those responses brief! A tall task.

You are absolutely correct in that statement.

However, in the real world, if Biden is seen as "picking on" Palin, then he is toast. Look back to the Clinton-Lazio debates. The race was close (far closer than it probably should have been) and then Lazio "attacked" and "intimidated" Clinton by walking a petition over to her podium. She never gave up the double digit lead after that. Granted Lazio was in WAAAAY over his head, but the defining moment of that election was Lazio walking across the stage.

I'd be very surprised if part of the reason McCain chose Palin wasn't to neutralize some of Biden's "attack dog". The VP debate will be very interesting, for once.

However, in the real world, if Biden is seen as "picking on" Palin, then he is toast. Look back to the Clinton-Lazio debates. The race was close (far closer than it probably should have been) and then Lazio "attacked" and "intimidated" Clinton by walking a petition over to her podium. She never gave up the double digit lead after that. Granted Lazio was in WAAAAY over his head, but the defining moment of that election was Lazio walking across the stage.

I'd be very surprised if part of the reason McCain chose Palin wasn't to neutralize some of Biden's "attack dog". The VP debate will be very interesting, for once.

Could be, but Biden will be best at just focusing in on McCain. In fact politely ignoring Palin may be the best strategy because no one really votes for the VP anyway.

Do it McCain style where he ended with a joke "little jerk" type of comment... Instead end it by saying: "make me breakfest." Of course jokingly, ala McCain.

:worthy:

That would go over like a lead ballon with the PC Republican crowd. Watch how after all their complaing about PC... They throw up their own pickets.

And while this all goes on... Obama takes the high ground.

Could be, but Biden will be best at just focusing in on McCain. In fact politely ignoring Palin may be the best strategy because no one really votes for the VP anyway.

Agree that his best strategy will be to keep it focused on McCain (and hers on keeping it focused on Obama). If he politely engages with her on the issues of McCain and Obama, he'll probably be OK. If he "politely ignores" her, he's probably seen as dismissing her and all heck breaks loose for him. Kind of like when Gore kept sighing through his debate w/ Bush.

As mentioned before, I am actually looking forward to the VP debate for once because it actually has promise to be interesting.

Yeah. I just think it's walking an awfully thin line to say that he should be tough on her, but not as tough as Lasio or Gore were in those debates.

I also think some Dem's are setting themselves up for huge disappointment in thinking that Biden is going to mop the floor with her. Bush won the 2000 debates not by "winning the debates" - but by surprising people in holding his own. I think if the top GOP advisors can "coach up" someone as dumb as him, they'll be able to do the same with her.

Agree that his best strategy will be to keep it focused on McCain (and hers on keeping it focused on Obama). If he politely engages with her on the issues of McCain and Obama, he'll probably be OK. If he "politely ignores" her, he's probably seen as dismissing her and all heck breaks loose for him. Kind of like when Gore kept sighing through his debate w/ Bush.

As mentioned before, I am actually looking forward to the VP debate for once because it actually has promise to be interesting.

That is why the Dems should just lay down the gauntlet and attack... Turn this into class warfare... I will get flamed for this... Hit them high, hit them low... On the privilege... And use anything at your disposal... Even Gustav... Paint them as uncaring, out of touch Republicans...

Make this hockey v. basketball!

Flame away...

That is why the Dems should just lay down the gauntlet and attack... Turn this into class warfare... I will get flamed for this... Hit them high, hit them low... On the privilege... And use anything at your disposal... Even Gustav... Paint them as uncaring, out of touch Republicans...

Make this hockey v. basketball!

Flame away...

Ah yes! The politics of change. How refreshing.

I know it wasn't sexist but when Al Gore sighed during his debate with GWB made him come off as condescending.

I agree with this. The 'advice' to wear kids gloves is not because she is a woman, but because he runs the real risk of coming off as pompous windbag if he starts running circles around her - Biden is like that. The smart move is the just answer the questions, ignore her, and hit McCain.

She's a hockey mom, hunter and fisher. She knows how to crosscheck and spear.

She's got a Grizzly hide on the couch in her office and a stuffed King Crab on her table.

She can handle herself. She's going to run circles around plughead.

She's a hockey mom, hunter and fisher. She knows how to crosscheck and spear.

She's got a Grizzly hide on the couch in her office and a stuffed King Crab on her table.

She can handle herself. She's going to run circles around plughead.

I'm sure all those things will help her got toe to toe in foreign policy with Biden.

Wow, am I from another age or what....

I still believe the best way to get your message across is to focus every comment and speech on your own experiences, task maturity, successes and plans for things to come; and virtually ignore the other guy. Why, because I would want voters to know what I will deliver when I'm elected. Bashing my opponent may be de rigeur in most circles, but it "don't feed the bulldog" when it's time to put up or shut up.

Oh that's right, that's why I don't understand politicians....

I still believe the best way to get your message across is to focus every comment and speech on your own experiences, task maturity, successes and plans for things to come; and virtually ignore the other guy. Why, because I would want voters to know what I will deliver when I'm elected. Bashing my opponent may be de rigeur in most circles, but it "don't feed the bulldog" when it's time to put up or shut up.

In a perfect world.............but there's a reason why GHWB closed the gap with Dukakis after Lee Atwater convinced him to take the gloves off.

No you understand them, you just don't like the realities of politics. Bashing your opponent wins elections. The math is simple, it is easier to soundbite put your opponent down then to explain in the same amount of time nuanced policy proposals without opening yourself up piece meal attacks. Sorry, it just doesn't work. Even Obama's proposal to lower taxes on the middle class and balance the budget (a fairly simple policy proposal) has been met by Republican attacks that he plans to raise taxes... on large corporations and the rich.

It is just too easy to do, even on a dummied down lacking specifics policy proposal. Hence it is easier to attack and hopefully keep your opponents supporters disgruntled and change to vote of the few fence sitters to be against your opponent.

It is reality, come out from under that idealist rock and if you want to be constructive, work on a way to inject maturity into politics and have it be a winning formula. I will believe when I see it.