edwards will be the next brady/roethlisberger

robert

i know this is a bit premature but i know a great qb when i see one and the thing that separates the average from the great is a field general who can process a defense quickly and adapt during the game as a qb. i mean calling ur own plays and dictating to the offense. this is what u see from manning and brady, they dont have great arms or great o-lines, they r 3 steps ahead of everyone else where it counts. edwards is extremely smart and has a solid o-line, with evans parrish reed and hardy u might see lightning strike again in buffalo. having a great qb is what counts and is the only way to win in this league, bottom line. bill walsh told levy about edwards and i can guarantee u walsh wasnt wrong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like trent too. we all know his attributes. walsh said the same think about jim drunkemiller too. talk is cheap. trent needs to win some games and stay healthy before anyone can form an opinion. NFL = Not For Long.

i know this is a bit premature but i know a great qb when i see one and the thing that separates the average from the great is a field general who can process a defense quickly and adapt during the game as a qb. i mean calling ur own plays and dictating to the offense. this is what u see from manning and brady, they dont have great arms or great o-lines, they r 3 steps ahead of everyone else where it counts. edwards is extremely smart and has a solid o-line, with evans parrish reed and hardy u might see lightning strike again in buffalo. having a great qb is what counts and is the only way to win in this league, bottom line. bill walsh told levy about edwards and i can guarantee u walsh wasnt wrong.

ok bob, i'll save this post and remember you told me to "just watch." i will put the post in my safe and only read it after the game -- after we know if your prediction was correct. then we will read the post and determine if you were accurate or just wrong.

yes i know not for long but this guy will be completely different opening day. he is our answer for kelly. just watch.

.....or great o-lines....

Maybe not great but....

NE

Matt Light(2 pro bowls)

Logan Mankins(1 pro bowl)

Dan Koppen(1 pro bowl)

IND

Jeff Saturday(3 pro bowls)

Tarik Glenn(3 pro bowls)

Both of the Mannings & Brady have Very Good arms, now Chadwick Pennington......... that is a SMART QB without a great arm.

I'm glad you mentioned this comparison. I was thinking to myself how Trent will be like Big Ben. They'll ask him to be a "game manager," letting the run game, defence, and ST handle the load. They'll just ask him to play smart and conservative, while limiting his mistakes. I envision him being this kind of guy for the year, then emerge as a full blown QB capable of carrying his team from next year on. Right now he's not ready to put the team on his shoulders and go like Brady and Manning. Easing a guy in like this is best for our team anyway.

walsh said the same think about jim drunkemiller too. talk is cheap. trent needs to win some games and stay healthy before anyone can form an opinion. NFL = Not For Long.

According to this, Bill Walsh (who was a 49er consultant at the time) advised the 49ers to take Plummer over Drunkenmiller.

Walsh did not advise 49ers to draft Drunkenmiller

You also may recall that Dwight Clark was running the draft for the 49ers at the time.

Regardless, Bill Walsh was right much more than he was wrong.

i like trent too. we all know his attributes. walsh said the same think about jim drunkemiller too. talk is cheap. trent needs to win some games and stay healthy before anyone can form an opinion. NFL = Not For Long.

and he said same thing re jake plummer

I'm glad you mentioned this comparison. I was thinking to myself how Trent will be like Big Ben. They'll ask him to be a "game manager," letting the run game, defence, and ST handle the load. They'll just ask him to play smart and conservative, while limiting his mistakes. I envision him being this kind of guy for the year, then emerge as a full blown QB capable of carrying his team from next year on. Right now he's not ready to put the team on his shoulders and go like Brady and Manning. Easing a guy in like this is best for our team anyway.

he is to smart to manage the game, trust me u r going to see a very aggresive hight tempo qb friendly sysytem where trent will have the feedom to change plays and stuff, lots of shotgun and 4 wide.... similiar to kelly but not going no huddle the whole game. edwards is very shrewd and has the brains to take this team to the next level.

Maybe not great but....

NE

Matt Light(2 pro bowls)

Logan Mankins(1 pro bowl)

Dan Koppen(1 pro bowl)

IND

Jeff Saturday(3 pro bowls)

Tarik Glenn(3 pro bowls)

... and Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery make waaaay more coin than those guys do. Therefore, they are better! :thumbsup:

Bill Walsh said Rick Mirer was the next Joe Montana. This is just silly talk, my man.

Trent shows upside, but he has a lot to prove. He's injury prone (or so it seems) he throws too many picks (look at his college and last year's numbers) and he checks down to the flats much too quickly. His upside is that he is a really smart kid, he has an under-rated arm and he seems to have an aura around him that an elite quaterback has to have.

To say he may be one of the greats is extremely myopic. It is what it is though, a fantastic piece of message board speculation.

Maybe I should start a thread about my prediction that one day Trent will play like a more inteligent Brady, Demetrius Bell a more agressive Johnathan Ogden, Tim Tebow will be moved to our defensive secondary while Dick Jauron and Steve Fairchild struggle to learn the rules to Go Fish.

LOL..poor guy...he used to date a girl from East Rochester...some of you might remember her....Julie Lynn Cialini...Playboy Playmate...94 or 95 I think it was..I sold her a insert card of Jim's when I bumped into her at a card shop in Webster..she was putting together a book of all his insert rookie cards..

His upside is that he is a really smart kid, he has an under-rated arm and he seems to have an aura around him that an elite quaterback has to have.

I hope you are right but I'm not convinced YET. Haven't seen the aura, or the wins, or especially the point production in a real game YET.

first of all, it has been spoken about on this board in the past, walsh didn't even want Montana as his QB, so mistakes can be made, and secondly, you can guarantee this? ---- hey Robert, errr Trent, can't sleep tonight? decided to post on how great you are going to be? :thumbsup:

I agree, that's why I keep arguing with the "stat boys" who say they're not sold on Edwards based on last years stats. I've been watching football for over 40 years & sometimes you can see the greatness before you get the stats.

Wow, thank you for gracing us with your presence.

How do you find the time from your busy career as a football analyst/scout to come here on TBD?

Have you ever even heard of capital letters?

:thumbsup:

Walsh was wrong about Mirer.

With this "guarantee," if you are wrong why should anyone listen to a thing you say in the future?