Lucas Oil Stadium - More NFL Reality for "poor" Buffalo

VJ91

It's fitting that most of we Bills fans were unable to watch the game last night due to the greed of the NFL Network. We were spared the first look at another "small market" rising to the challange presented by today's insane NFL greed machine. Lucas Oil Stadium opened against the Bills last night for the Colts. Bill Polian must be laughing his butt off these days. Check out today's News article about how the 9 counties surrounding Indianapolis and the state of Indiana stepped up and presented the Colts with their new money making palace. The worst part for the welfare minded Bills fans who constantly whine about how expensive going to the Ralph is? Every luxury box and premier seat is sold out and have waiting lists. Seems the small market folks in Indianapolis decided that having the Colts stay around was more important to them then how small their market is.

Hey, I'm the first one to stand up and scream that the owners of today's NFL teams are insane to pay the players so much of their profits. I have no idea why fans in Indianapolis are so willing to pay $2,000 a year plus the $200 per game cost of the ticket itself, for 3 year contracts, just to sit in seats that Bills' fans pay about $800.00 a year for! But they do. That's why Wilson and Brandon were so quick to play regular season games in Torono Wake up and smell the unshared revenue Bills fans! Is Indianapolis really that much more prosperous then Buffalo and Western New York? Obviously the answer is yes. Check out the waiting lists for every seat in Lucas Oil Stadium for the proof.

What's my point with this post? It's to stop complaining about prices and just enjoy the Bills while we still have them in Buffalo. And if you think its unfair to lose games to Toronto, then shut up and step up and sell out every single premium seat and luxury box in the less expensive re-furbished RWS first!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fitting that most of we Bills fans were unable to watch the game last night due to the greed of the NFL Network. We were spared the first look at another "small market" rising to the challange presented by today's insane NFL greed machine. Lucas Oil Stadium opened against the Bills last night for the Colts. Bill Polian must be laughing his butt off these days. Check out today's News article about how the 9 counties surrounding Indianapolis and the state of Indiana stepped up and presented the Colts with their new money making palace. The worst part for the welfare minded Bills fans who constantly whine about how expensive going to the Ralph is? Every luxury box and premier seat is sold out and have waiting lists. Seems the small market folks in Indianapolis decided that having the Colts stay around was more important to them then how small their market is.

Hey, I'm the first one to stand up and scream that the owners of today's NFL teams are insane to pay the players so much of their profits. I have no idea why fans in Indianapolis are so willing to pay $2,000 a year plus the $200 per game cost of the ticket itself, for 3 year contracts, just to sit in seats that Bills' fans pay about $800.00 a year for! But they do. That's why Wilson and Brandon were so quick to play regular season games in Torono Wake up and smell the unshared revenue Bills fans! Is Indianapolis really that much more prosperous then Buffalo and Western New York? Obviously the answer is yes. Check out the waiting lists for every seat in Lucas Oil Stadium for the proof.

What's my point with this post? It's to stop complaining about prices and just enjoy the Bills while we still have them in Buffalo. And if you think its unfair to lose games to Toronto, then shut up and step up and sell out every single premium seat and luxury box in the less expensive re-furbished RWS first!

i GUARANTEE that if the Bills had been as successful as the Colts over the past decade, then we would have our luxury/company boxes sold out as well. and be able to sell out the boxes of a new stadium.

winning fixes everything.

What Lucas Oil Stadium means to the citizens of Indianapolis and generally the entire state...

1. The Colts are guaranteed to stay in Indy.

2. The city/stadium hosts the Super Bowl, which is a tremendous economic boom.

3. The city/stadium will never go more than five years without hosting either the NCAA convention, the Men's Final Four, or the Women's Final Four...more tremendous economic impact.

4. The old RCA Dome, which is connected to the city's convention center, gets converted to additional convention space, which draws larger conventions.

Yeah, we paid the bill, and I understand the argument against it, but IMHO this is a good investment for the city and its citizens.

I went to the game last night. It truly is an amazing venue.

And while I hope the Colts continue to have success as long as it doesn't hurt Buffalo's chances at success, it sure was nice to witness the Bills getting a W in the first-ever NFL game at the Luke.

I can't imagine a Super Bowl ever being held in Buffalo. You need hotels and stuff to do, both of which Buffalo lacks at the level required for an SB game.

PTR

First they need a stadium with a roof...let's not get carried away. I'd sacrifice never hosting the SB if it meant keeping all the games outdoors in WNY.

Marshall and Co commented last night how average to poor the Colts looked without Manning at QB.

Then they went on to say, "they looked like the Bills....after Losing Jim Kelly," this was all in the context of

how the LUKE looked and how booked it was. It seemed the sentiment was questioning to what degree the place

will be sold out after Manning is gone and the Colts try to replace him.

i GUARANTEE that if the Bills had been as successful as the Colts over the past decade, then we would have our luxury/company boxes sold out as well. and be able to sell out the boxes of a new stadium.

WRONG. No AFC team won more games and AFC Championships then Buffalo in the 10 years leading up to 1998. Instead of rewarding the fans with a brand new stadium befitting the palaces of that day (1998), the counties surrounding Buffalo, New York State, and Ralph Wilson could only come up with about 150 Million to "re-do" the Ralph. Then, to make things even more pathetic, Erkie and his business partners had to kill themselves for 25 hours a day just to get the reasonably priced new suites and new premium seats built with that 150 million sold. (And they have never sold all of them out creating waiting lists for all of them, as they have in place now at Lucas Oil Stadium.) At that time, around 1998, Cleveland was watching their brand new stadium get finished for the new Browns to begin play again in 1999, and Baltimore was already playing in their brand new stadium with the stolen old Browns team in Maryland. Not to mention new stadiums in Nashville, Houston and Cincinnati were built right around then too. Are you telling me that if the Bills would have won just one of those 4 Super Bowls, NY state would have paid to tear down Rich Stadium and built a brand new one in downtown Buffalo when the lease came up in '98? I don't think so. Finally, Lucas Oil Stadium was well under construction when the Colts won the Super Bowl two years ago. That palace would have opened last night even if the Colts would have lost to the Bears 73-0.

This is an excellent point. You wait to see just how quick these fans turn on the colts & the patriots for the same reason, once brady & manning are no longer on the team. These fans do not know how good they have had it over thethe last 10yrs watching these 2 qbs play. & as we know, it is not that easy to replace a franchise hof qb.

WRONG. No AFC team won more games and AFC Championships then Buffalo in the 10 years leading up to 1998. Instead of rewarding the fans with a brand new stadium befitting the palaces of that day (1998), the counties surrounding Buffalo, New York State, and Ralph Wilson could only come up with about 150 Million to "re-do" the Ralph. Then, to make things even more pathetic, Erkie and his business partners had to kill themselves for 25 hours a day just to get the reasonably priced new suites and new premium seats built with that 150 million sold. (And they have never sold all of them out creating waiting lists for all of them, as they have in place now at Lucas Oil Stadium.) At that time, around 1998, Cleveland was watching their brand new stadium get finished for the new Browns to begin play again in 1999, and Baltimore was already playing in their brand new stadium with the stolen old Browns team in Maryland. Not to mention new stadiums in Nashville, Houston and Cincinnati were built right around then too. Are you telling me that if the Bills would have won just one of those 4 Super Bowls, NY state would have paid to tear down Rich Stadium and built a brand new one in downtown Buffalo when the lease came up in '98? I don't think so. Finally, Lucas Oil Stadium was well under construction when the Colts won the Super Bowl two years ago. That palace would have opened last night even if the Colts would have lost to the Bears 73-0.

where in my one-sentence statement about winning and selling seats, did you come up with me saying we wouldve built a new stadium?

i dont think so either. im well aware that Buffalo is in NY state, and as long as it is, all money goes to NYC.

what i said was (and ill restate it since you completely misread it) "if the Bills had as much success in the past decade as the Colts, our corporate boxes wouldnt be empty right now" my next statement was setup by the fantasy (for the sake of conversation) that the Bills would get a new stadium. im aware of exactly how ridiculous a fantasy that is.

What Lucas Oil Stadium means to the citizens of Indianapolis and generally the entire state...

1. The Colts are guaranteed to stay in Indy.

2. The city/stadium hosts the Super Bowl, which is a tremendous economic boom.

3. The city/stadium will never go more than five years without hosting either the NCAA convention, the Men's Final Four, or the Women's Final Four...more tremendous economic impact.

4. The old RCA Dome, which is connected to the city's convention center, gets converted to additional convention space, which draws larger conventions.

Yeah, we paid the bill, and I understand the argument against it, but IMHO this is a good investment for the city and its citizens.

I went to the game last night. It truly is an amazing venue.

And while I hope the Colts continue to have success as long as it doesn't hurt Buffalo's chances at success, it sure was nice to witness the Bills getting a W in the first-ever NFL game at the Luke.

Indy Dave, maybe you can refute or corroborate this. I've spent considerable time in Indianapolis. My sense is that it will always be a basketball city. The moment that the Colts suffer any type of lapse in their successful run (likely the day after Manning retires), they will find it impossible to fill that stadium, and, in all likelihood, will be moved to another city.

Winning, of course, sells seats anywhere. But the long-term committment to that team by its fans pales in comparison to Pacers/ IU Hoops support.

Most of us got to watch the game.

Oops. that's right. I forgot that the NFL Network beams it's games into the "primary markets" of the two teams playing. You must forgive me, I live in Rochester and I don't have a dish. We are not considered primary market for Buffalo when it comes to the greed of the NFL Network. By the way, does anyone have any updates on when if ever the NFL Network will make an agreement with cable?

Indy Dave, maybe you can refute or corroborate this. I've spent considerable time in Indianapolis. My sense is that it will always be a basketball city. The moment that the Colts suffer any type of lapse in their successful run (likely the day after Manning retires), they will find it impossible to fill that stadium, and, in all likelihood, will be moved to another city.

Winning, of course, sells seats anywhere. But the long-term committment to that team by its fans pales in comparison to Pacers/ IU Hoops support.

What I found strange while I was watching the teams run out was that the crowd really didn't seem into it, even though they were at the first game in a new stadium.

One of the horrible announcers (I think it was Deion) even commented that it was "about to get real loud", and then it didn't when the Colts ran out. It was a packed house at a new stadium, and it didn't really seem like there was much excitement in the air.

I think that alot of it had to do with the fact that it was still a preseason game, but I expected more for the opening of a new stadium. It will be interesting to see what type of turnout the Colts have once their dynasty is in a rebuilding phase.

Fans... paying their freight for their yucks?

Hardly... :wallbash:

http://www.huberhuntnichols.com/press_releases/050920.html

What I found strange while I was watching the teams run out was that the crowd really didn't seem into it, even though they were at the first game in a new stadium.

One of the horrible announcers (I think it was Deion) even commented that it was "about to get real loud", and then it didn't when the Colts ran out. It was a packed house at a new stadium, and it didn't really seem like there was much excitement in the air.

I think that alot of it had to do with the fact that it was still a preseason game, but I expected more for the opening of a new stadium. It will be interesting to see what type of turnout the Colts have once their dynasty is in a rebuilding phase.

That's exactly it. Yeah, it's preseason. But the difference b/w a Bills and Colts game is marked. Bills' games are intense, loud, raucous, not always family friendly. Colts games strike me as a bunch of fair-weather fans showing up for a nice family outing, hoping the team wins, but not really caring either way. I think fans in some cities view NFL games as life (e.g., Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, GB), and others view them as entertainment (e.g., Indianpolis).

where in my one-sentence statement about winning and selling seats, did you come up with me saying we wouldve built a new stadium?

i dont think so either. im well aware that Buffalo is in NY state, and as long as it is, all money goes to NYC.

what i said was (and ill restate it since you completely misread it) "if the Bills had as much success in the past decade as the Colts, our corporate boxes wouldnt be empty right now" my next statement was setup by the fantasy (for the sake of conversation) that the Bills would get a new stadium. im aware of exactly how ridiculous a fantasy that is.

Here's the part of your one sentence statement about winning and selling seats that I came up with the idea you thought the Bills would get a new stadium: "...and be able to sell out the boxes of a new stadium." Sorry I extrapolated into fantasy. Just in case you misread my last post, the bottom line is that all the winning the Kelly-led Bills did sans Super Bowls in the 10 years leading up to the 1998 end of the original Rich Stadium lease was worth NOTHING. It did nothing to help our case for a brand new stadium, and it did nothing to help sell out the new suites and premium seats available after the Ralph was re-built. In fact, even though Jimbo was gone, and most of his teamates were at the end of their careers, that '98 team was pretty good. The defense was terrific and Flutie was coming off his one magic year of Pro Bowl play. So no, winning did not sell out all the expensive seats available back in 1998.

i GUARANTEE that if the Bills had been as successful as the Colts over the past decade, then we would have our luxury/company boxes sold out as well.

It takes companies to fill corporate boxes.

As much as the Toronto market's a target for the Bills, there's not much chance Canadian corporations would snap up high-priced boxes in either OP or a new downtown stadium, regardless of the team's success on the field.