for those watching US Hoops today

The Poojer

Not sure that is completely accurate, but it's in the ballpark. He has attempted quite a few free throws and, I believe, he has knocked them all down. I'd say he may be 8-8 on foul shots. I have the game on at my desk, but the TV is to my back so it's not as though I have my eyes glued to the set. Looking at the box score, it says we were 32 of 68 overall from the floor, with 101 points. I doesn't say how many made three-pointers we made, or what we were from the foul line, but we would have had to make quite a few 3s and FTs to make up the 37 points. Point being, I don't know how accurate those stats are. Like I said, they are reasonably close.

now you know melo is my favorite player and all b/c of his syracuse days but about 6 of his misses were gimme layups too...

not to mention he lost he cool twice in the game. once he actually pushed a guy (scola i think) and the other time he got in a guys face after a flagrant foul on howard. all four of his on court teammates came over and pushed him away. i was surprised how much he played today (had to be 30 minutes) considering the lack of calm under pressure he displayed.

all that said, 13-13 from the line was HUGE b/c you know his other teammates would have missed at least half of those and that would have only given Argentina more momentum during their 2nd and 3rd quarter runs. interesting stat they brought up today is that kobe is shooting 44% on his FTs in the Olympic tournament.

now you know melo is my favorite player and all b/c of his syracuse days but about 6 of his misses were gimme layups too...

not to mention he lost he cool twice in the game. once he actually pushed a guy (scola i think) and the other time he got in a guys face after a flagrant foul on howard. all four of his on court teammates came over and pushed him away. i was surprised how much he played today (had to be 30 minutes) considering the lack of calm under pressure he displayed.

all that said, 13-13 from the line was HUGE b/c you know his other teammates would have missed at least half of those and that would have only given Argentina more momentum during their 2nd and 3rd quarter runs. interesting stat they brought up today is that kobe is shooting 44% on his FTs in the Olympic tournament.

I'm not a big Melo fan. I find it hard to believe he is the best PF in the country (well, since Timmy and KG aren't there) and starts for the Olympic team. He gets his points because he's a chucker and he plays zero defense. I know he was dominant that one season at Cuse, but I can't see any NBA team that he is on going all the way. He's too much of a dog. I could be way off, but he just strikes me as a guy who prefers 36 points and a loss to 7 points and a win...A.K.A. the anti-Garnett

i think you are way off base on this assesment, this olympics he set a goal to grab 10 boards a game, unfortunately the lack of competitiveness from the opponents kept him from being in the game long enough to reach that, but I think 'Melo is a very complete player, but still very young...hell, is he even 22 years old? of course points are going to be his focus.....because he can.

I'm not a big Melo fan. I find it hard to believe he is the best PF in the country (well, since Timmy and KG aren't there) and starts for the Olympic team. He gets his points because he's a chucker and he plays zero defense. I know he was dominant that one season at Cuse, but I can't see any NBA team that he is on going all the way. He's too much of a dog. I could be way off, but he just strikes me as a guy who prefers 36 points and a loss to 7 points and a win...A.K.A. the anti-Garnett

i think you are way off base on this assesment, this olympics he set a goal to grab 10 boards a game, unfortunately the lack of competitiveness from the opponents kept him from being in the game long enough to reach that, but I think 'Melo is a very complete player, but still very young...hell, is he even 22 years old? of course points are going to be his focus.....because he can.

Fair enough...I've never been a big fan so I may focus on his negatives a little bit. I still see him as the kid pouting on the bench in Athens '04 and the guy who punched the Knick and then ran away.

He's not shy about shooting (neither are other superstars) but Melo strikes me as more "me-first" than LeBron or Kobe, plays less defense, and isn't as good of an outside shooter. Obviously, like I said, I don't know him so I could be wrong about the "me first" part.

It's always hard for me to watch guys work so hard to get their shots and their points on offense, and then coast on defense. That's why a guy like Garnett is a pleasure to root for, he brings it for 94 feet. When a team's stars don't "buy in" at the defensive end, the rest of the team isn't going to either.

You are correct, he's still young (24) and has plenty of time to grow. He may think right now that his offense is the key...But if he gets to be 30 years old and still doesn't have a ring, like many other players before him, I'm sure you will see an attitude adjustment and a true knowledge of what it takes to be a champion.

FWIW, I often saw Paul Pierce in the same light that I view Melo, and he proved me wrong this season. He was more than willing to sacrifice numbers for wins.

plus keep in mind, some of us have a bias towards 'Melo for his work at the Cuse....he is "godlike" to some of us, including myself :w00t:

Fair enough...I've never been a big fan so I may focus on his negatives a little bit. I still see him as the kid pouting on the bench in Athens '04 and the guy who punched the Knick and then ran away.

He's not shy about shooting (neither are other superstars) but Melo strikes me as more "me-first" than LeBron or Kobe, plays less defense, and isn't as good of an outside shooter. Obviously, like I said, I don't know him so I could be wrong about the "me first" part.

It's always hard for me to watch guys work so hard to get their shots and their points on offense, and then coast on defense. That's why a guy like Garnett is a pleasure to root for, he brings it for 94 feet. When a team's stars don't "buy in" at the defensive end, the rest of the team isn't going to either.

You are correct, he's still young (24) and has plenty of time to grow. He may think right now that his offense is the key...But if he gets to be 30 years old and still doesn't have a ring, like many other players before him, I'm sure you will see an attitude adjustment and a true knowledge of what it takes to be a champion.

FWIW, I often saw Paul Pierce in the same light that I view Melo, and he proved me wrong this season. He was more than willing to sacrifice numbers for wins.

plus keep in mind, some of us have a bias towards 'Melo for his work at the Cuse....he is "godlike" to some of us, including myself :w00t:

hahaa, understood...You and my bro-in-law both! Trust me, I love college hoops and that's as good a reason as any to follow/support a player's career.

He's a great player, no doubt about it (I mean hell, he starts for the national team!) but just not my favorite. I wonder if he could carry a pro team like he carried Cuse...At the moment I say no, but we know he's young and we've seen the switch go on for other great players before. He's a good enough that he'll figure out what a bad shot is, and what the cost of lazy defense is...

Plus, his current coach is George Karl, and you know there's not a lot of defensive drills going on at those practices!!

Not to hijack the thread, but where is the public outcry that there are no white players on the team. I just finished reading a book about NASCAR and it had a chapter on trying to have diversity in NASCAR. Where are the Scoop Jackson's of the world who bang on baseball because there has been a decline of black athletes in baseball?

Back to the thread, I am not a big fan of Carmelo because he played at Syracuse (Go Bonnies) but the whole team has looked good. I am glad they are playing the young talent (Howard, Williams, Paul) unlike previous Olympics where they defered to the veterans.

is jason kidd black or white? i assume he is black, but i have never been too sure, and i personally don't care what color skin, as long as they are the best ones to bring home the gold

Not to hijack the thread, but where is the public outcry that there are no white players on the team. I just finished reading a book about NASCAR and it had a chapter on trying to have diversity in NASCAR. Where are the Scoop Jackson's of the world who bang on baseball because there has been a decline of black athletes in baseball?

Back to the thread, I am not a big fan of Carmelo because he played at Syracuse (Go Bonnies) but the whole team has looked good. I am glad they are playing the young talent (Howard, Williams, Paul) unlike previous Olympics where they defered to the veterans.

is jason kidd black or white? i assume he is black, but i have never been too sure, and i personally don't care what color skin, as long as they are the best ones to bring home the gold

Jason Kidd is black. That is exactly my point, I could care less what color skin someone is in sports or anything else. But some journalists love throwing the race card around when it fits their agenda. I don't recall that much of a fuss raised about the Olympic hockey teams which are probably 99% white but someone always says "this sport needs more diversity or that sport needs more diversity." Maybe I am just swinging and missing.

I think this team will beat Spain by double digits. The interesting story is the team going forward. The players had a 3 year commitment which started in 2006 I believe. I think the young guys will stick around but will Kobe come back. I think Kidd is done after this Olympics. It will be interesting to watch the team evolve over time.

Diversity in sports = opening more potential markets to sell jerseys, apparel, tickets, cable sports pack subscriptions...in other words, more $$$.

If they didn't think there was a market to tap, NASCAR wouldn't give two craps about having black, Asian, Native American or Latino drivers. Same with MLB, the NFL, NHL, etc...

well stated. I have a guess as to why the Pistons passed on Melo

"Melo was just interviewed on SportsCenter and commented that the

Argentinian players were playing rough to "Get in our Heads"

Given that Melo had to be restrained by 4 teammates at one point, I guess they succeeded.

Diversity in sports = opening more potential markets to sell jerseys, apparel, tickets, cable sports pack subscriptions...in other words, more $$$.

If they didn't think there was a market to tap, NASCAR wouldn't give two craps about having black, Asian, Native American or Latino drivers. Same with MLB, the NFL, NHL, etc...

But there is a lack of diversity in the NBA. You have your foreigners and your blacks but hardly any white guys anymore.

...but hardly any white guys anymore.

I see this as a good thing. It seems as if every white college superstar turns into the same player anyway. Adam Morrison, Wally Szerbiak, Mike Dunleavy...I know there are successful white dudes in the "association" but by and large they ultimately flop. White dudes usually only thrive at 2 positions, under the rim lug (a 4 or 5, I consider it the same because the skill set is the same) or a point guard. Every 6'7" - 6'9" swing white player that comes in the league flounders because the guys he is not bigger or faster than anyone in the league relinquishing him to jump shooter status.

I have a guess as to why the Pistons passed on Melo

They have been skewered for not taking Melo although winning a Championship or two has kept it to a minimum. I have to agree with your assment that they thought Melo was in effect a consimate loser. It still doesn't excuse the Darko pick.