Hurricane Fay likely to hit SW FL on Tuesday

LongLiveRalph

The storm is forecast to strengthen over the 89-degree Gulf water tomorrow, build into a Category 1 or 2 hurricane, and make landfall in southwest Florida, somewhere between the ~100 miles separating Naples, FL south to Sarasota, FL north. The Keys are already feeling some of the outer bands of the storm, and visitors/non-residents are being told to evacuate if possible.

The early tracks look eerily similar to Hurricane Charley, which hit just south of Tampa and roared across the state, hitting Orlando and exiting into the Atlantic near Daytona Beach. The first hurricane my wife and I experienced. Very intense.

Hope no TSW'ers are in the path, and if so, good luck and Godspeed.

Tropical Storm Fay gained strength this morning as it plowed over Cuba and headed to Florida. The 8 a.m. update from the National Hurricane Center forecast Fay to be a hurricane as it approaches Florida and a potential landfall in the Southwest Florida region.

Winds were approximately 60 mph at 8 a.m. as the storm was 100 miles south-southeast of Key West. Fay is forecast to make landfall north of Fort Myers at hurricane strength on Tuesday afternoon.

I am in Fort Lauderdale right now and its blowing at a good rate (kind of like the dolphins) hello is this thing on? Anyway they originally tracked this thing to land on the Gulf side of Florida but I just got an update from the Nat Hurricane Center saying it will come strait through the middle of the state. It MAY be a week 1 when itr touches down but I doubt it. Right now I am in my office over looking the ocean and it looks rough out there.

Hey. I forgot to ask which color spaghetti is likely to be the most accurate??

Let me see if i remember which abbreviations are which...

XTRP = extrapolation if the storm were to continue its exact movement (basically,this is the current direction the storm is traveling)

The ones i trust the most are:

NGPS - NOGAPS - the navy

UKM - UK Met. - this guy is over in the UK and kind of crazy at times, but tends to be correct a lot more often than not

GFDL - geophysical fluid dynamics lab from Princeton

the BAM models (BAMS, BAMM, BAMD) - these are all the same model, but taking into effect different heights of the system (shallow, medium, deep)

http://www.hurricanealley.net/hurmdls.htm

The CMC is the canadian model, and they usually have no farking idea of whats going on.

Hope no TSW'ers are in the path, and if so, good luck and Godspeed.

Sure seems to be headed toward my neck of the woods here in Orlando.

We've been through worse than this one, but that doesn't make it any more fun.

Good luck to all the other Florida Bills fans.

Sure seems to be headed toward my neck of the woods here in Orlando.

We've been through worse than this one, but that doesn't make it any more fun.

Good luck to all the other Florida Bills fans.

Cmon you pansies, its a friggin tropical depression. I am just hoping to sneak a day off out of this thing. I work in Port Everglades and so far they have not closed us down yet. Its like praying for snow days all over again.

This freakin' storm just won't go away!!

Over 20 inches of rain along the east coast of central Florida.

About 40 miles inland, where I am, we just went over 7 inches of rain with the worst band of the storm directly overhead.

The winds are between 30-45 mph sustained in this particular band, but the rain is adding up and isn't going to stop in the next 24 hours. B-)

At least the power hasn't gone out!

About a half an hour ago, it stopped raining for the first time in about 50 hours!

Almost 13 inches of rain in my area, and almost 30 inches on the coast--truly unbelievable.

Thousands of people flooded out of their homes, and it looks like its going to start raining here again in a couple of hours, but I hope the worst is over for me.

What a slow moving storm.