Finally got to see the Steelers/Bills game...WOW!

1billsfan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its looking more and more like Jason Peters needs us more than the Bills need him.

whenever he decides to come back, he better bring that check with him for those fines for being a crappy teammate.

I'm giving it one more game. Like.....against Freeney. If, however, the line holds up against Freeney, that "poof" sound that you'll hear will be Peters'/Agent's bargaining position. What it ALSO means is that there will be two or three guys on the Bills who survive "The Turk" that shouldn't rest too easily. The Bills will get down to 53 players, Peters won't be in camp, and OBD going to snarf up every decent OT/OG on whom they can lay their hands. The roster doesn't get settled this year until about three days after the final roster cut.

It might not be a bad idea to start Losman next game, with the First String O-Line, just in case there are calls coming in about him. That first game's performance was definitely a plus for him, but the sesond game sorta screwed that all up. Losman, if he can match Edwards' performance, and come on, Detroit's defense ain't Pittsburgh's, could create a situation where we can trade JP for something really exceptional before the season is too far along.

hmmm. who said this a week ago? make up your mind....its pathetic. chad pennington or steve young??????

You got it. It's going to take years before this team recovers from Jauron's massive brain fart in regards to his QB decision making. Losman's going to go to a team that will reap the rewards of acquiring a very talented player who's been through his tough growing pains and who's ready to become one of the league's top five QBs. The Bills are going to pay for their lack of patience and deeply regret every listening to Bill Walsh waxing poetic about the well-spoken kid from Stanford. I just don't see Edwards being anything other than the second coming of Chad Pennington. All of you ridiculous Losman haters and bashers will eventually turn against "The One" when we are at mid season and he only has 5 touchdown passes.

HA! your clueless. TE may not turn into a hall of fame QB, in fact the chances are very slim. However, JP sucks. I was as enamored with his physical skills as the next bills fan, but he has shown me time and time again why he will never be a successful NFL QB.

HA! your clueless. TE may not turn into a hall of fame QB, in fact the chances are very slim. However, JP sucks. I was as enamored with his physical skills as the next bills fan, but he has shown me time and time again why he will never be a successful NFL QB.

I don't understand how you could evaluate JP or any QB for that matter that played in the circumstances JP has played in, from numerous coaching changes with different offenses, to just playing on CRAPPY teams with very poor O-lines. When I see JP on a good team then I will judge him. Trent had a VERY GOOD game in the DOME. Lets hope he can play as well outside with WEATHER.

I'm giving it one more game. Like.....against Freeney. If, however, the line holds up against Freeney, that "poof" sound that you'll hear will be Peters'/Agent's bargaining position. What it ALSO means is that there will be two or three guys on the Bills who survive "The Turk" that shouldn't rest too easily. The Bills will get down to 53 players, Peters won't be in camp, and OBD going to snarf up every decent OT/OG on whom they can lay their hands. The roster doesn't get settled this year until about three days after the final roster cut.

FWIW, Freeney's still on the PUP list following Lisfranc surgery.

As to the original post in this thread ... God, I love the preseason.

I don't understand how you could evaluate JP or any QB for that matter that played in the circumstances JP has played in, from numerous coaching changes with different offenses, to just playing on CRAPPY teams with very poor O-lines. When I see JP on a good team then I will judge him. Trent had a VERY GOOD game in the DOME. Lets hope he can play as well outside with WEATHER.

If youre still talking about those two games at the end of the year last year please..VERY FEW if any Qbs in the History of the NFL couldve had solid let alone productive games in that weather..You are so hurt by the Jp incidents that you might never move on..You will continuously find something else to complain about no matter who is Qb ing other than JP..Good luck with that...

If youre still talking about those two games at the end of the year last year please..VERY FEW if any Qbs in the History of the NFL couldve had solid let alone productive games in that weather..You are so hurt by the Jp incidents that you might never move on..You will continuously find something else to complain about no matter who is Qb ing other than JP..Good luck with that...

DON"T QUOTE ME STATISTICS but Trent was outplayed by both QB's in the last 2 games (Trent lost therefore he was outplayed) playing in the same weather Trent was. I HOPE he loses the gloves & learns to play well in sever weather conditions.

They looked like winners to me. I hope Jauron has seriously bought into using the pass to set up the run with a heavy dose of using Lynch and Jackson in the passing game as well. THAT was what I have been waiting for! I've been as tough as nails on Jauron, but if he truly does trust in his QB and the skilled players on offense to use their exceptional God-given abilities then he has a VERY good shot at becoming a successful and winning head coach for the Buffalo Bills. I beg you, please do NOT go back into your run-run-pass shell. Starting defense looked very solid also.

As for Edwards, he looked like the second coming of Steve Young directing the 49ers out there. It was everything I was looking for and MORE and I was flat out WRONG in thinking Losman was better than him. I know it's preseason but I think that preseason game will have a huge effect going forward for this team and it's coaches. They took it to one of the AFC bullies and made it look easy.

They obviously need to translate this into the real games and then have the consistency in performance that all playoff bound teams must have. Remember how consistent Kelly's Bills were? Bring it every game and this team WILL get 11 or 12 wins and make the playoffs. This was a big one. It proved to them that they really do have the makings for a good team, where the skies the limit in '08 including beating New England.

If you read around it sounds like the Skins came in expecting one thing and getting another. That's what the Bills need to do on a regular basis. Can we trust Jauron and Co. to deliver that on a weekly basis? TBD Doing it in a preseason game however is one thing, doing it regularly throughout the regular season is another.

They looked good because they took risks offensively. Edwards threaded a few needles which can be a good thing and was on that night.

Otherwise Losman isn't good and never has been. But he has typically taken those risks which are why the team's offense has put up more points under him. If the team takes the same risks under Edwards, maybe this is what can happen regularly. We won't know until we try it every week and do it more successfully than opposing defenses can shut us down.

It's way too early to suggest that this can happen on a regular basis though. We had the hype of playing in Toronto which I doubt the Steelers cared much about, the team got their asses chewed from the week before prompting an a-game from them this week. I would like the first team O to do a little something against the Colts before I start getting too optimistic and getting my hopes up again before having them stomped into the dirt once again.

DON"T QUOTE ME STATISTICS but Trent was outplayed by both QB's in the last 2 games (Trent lost therefore he was outplayed) playing in the same weather Trent was. I HOPE he loses the gloves & learns to play well in sever weather conditions.

Does the above mean that JP was outplayed in 21 of his 31 starts? Or, is this where the excuse tugboat enters the port?

There was nothing wrong with the weather in the Philly game. It was good football weather.

In the Cleveland game neither QB did much and Anderson did about the same as Trent. But their rushing game had almost twice as many yards with Jamal Lewis. That isn't impressive. Trent isn't responsible for the entire offense.

Does the above mean that JP was outplayed in 21 of his 31 starts? Or, is this where the excuse tugboat enters the port?

The team winning under Edwards has nothing to do with the production of the offense.

So if you can explain how teams win with poor offensive production, or very little of it, I do believe you will have answered your own question.

I mean lets be serious here, the Tampa Bay Bucs didn't win a Super Bowl that year because they lit the league up offensively. They were actually well below average in offense that season. Do people really need to take time out to explain this to everyone that sees only Wins and Losses for a QB?

I mean who scored the TD in the second Jets game that Edwards gets credit for winning as the starter? Did Edwards score a TD in that game?

Without the Safety in the Skins game that's a Loss too. Did Edwards sack the QB for the 2 points? Apparently he did. Otherwise, how many teams win games without a single offensive TD? I'll bet you it's much less than 10%.

The team winning under Edwards has nothing to do with the production of the offense.

So if you can explain how teams win with poor offensive production, or very little of it, I do believe you will have answered your own question.

I mean lets be serious here, the Tampa Bay Bucs didn't win a Super Bowl that year because they lit the league up offensively. They were actually well below average in offense that season. Do people really need to take time out to explain this to everyone that sees only Wins and Losses for a QB?

I mean who scored the TD in the second Jets game that Edwards gets credit for winning as the starter? Did Edwards score a TD in that game?

Without the Safety in the Skins game that's a Loss too. Did Edwards sack the QB for the 2 points? Apparently he did. Otherwise, how many teams win games without a single offensive TD? I'll bet you it's much less than 10%.

My question was of course rhetorical. :unsure: His demands of Trent are all inclusive, such as playing in a blizzard and a monsoon.

You otoh are different. When you blast Trent, you are not trying to tell us what a hall of fame qb JP is. In fact, you even make me appear to be cheerful. :thumbsup:

If you read around it sounds like the Skins came in expecting one thing and getting another. That's what the Bills need to do on a regular basis. Can we trust Jauron and Co. to deliver that on a weekly basis? TBD Doing it in a preseason game however is one thing, doing it regularly throughout the regular season is another.

You aren't a playoff team if you can't give them what they are expecting- and shove it down their throats.

My question was of course rhetorical. :unsure: His demands of Trent are all inclusive, such as playing in a blizzard and a monsoon.

You otoh are different. When you blast Trent, you are not trying to tell us what a hall of fame qb JP is. In fact, you even make me appear to be cheerful. :thumbsup:

LOL

I'm not hard on JP because he didn't have this line or Lynch. But he clearly hasn't demonstrated a command of the short game either and that's where all QBs bread is buttered. So his value for the future is severely limited. You can succeed without a deep game ala Pennington but you cannot possibly succeed without a short game or at least a good one. Neither has proven that short game and honestly, even Edwards hasn't proven much beyond Pennington's capability in the deep game in spite of last Thursday's performance.

I'm still gonna blast Trent though because I still don't believe he's going to amount to much. JMO When I'm wrong it'll be obvious just as it will when I'm right.

You aren't a playoff team if you can't give them what they are expecting- and shove it down their throats.

I agree, and applying that line of thinking we're not a playoff team then.

But for us to do well this year will involve the coaching staff doing that on a near weekly basis.

Many teams make the playoffs over the years that aren't playoff teams. The NFC has been so weak that it has typically fielded two or even three teams that often wouldn't have made it in the AFC.

I agree, and applying that line of thinking we're not a playoff team then.

But for us to do well this year will involve the coaching staff doing that on a near weekly basis.

Many teams make the playoffs over the years that aren't playoff teams. The NFC has been so weak that it has typically fielded two or even three teams that often wouldn't have made it in the AFC.

And either the plays we try to surprise people with will be low percentage enough not to work much, or teams will catch on to our tendencies. I'd really love to be wrong, but I don't see playoffs this year.

There's nothing wrong or fair weathered about calling out a coach for a flawed philosophy which doesn't give his players a fighting chance to make the playoffs. I was just giving my brutally honest opinion and assessment. They were clearly calling a different game in Toronto, and one that I was hoping for all along. Marshawn only netting 18 catches last season was just plain ridiculous. Now that Trent rewarded Jauron's trust in letting him pass on early downs and using the RBs in the passing game, it would only seem logical that this WILL be a preview of what we can expect this season. I've always said that this team has the capacity for 11 wins if they just trusted in their skilled players. If Jauron goes back to the dreadful run-run-pass on third and long formula, I will no doubt be voicing my displeasure.

You are the true definition of a Fair Weather Fan. You go from "OMG the Bills suck" to "WOW WE ROCK" in a matter of days. That my friend is what a Fair Weather Fan is.

I do agree with you that the play calling from Steve Fairchild was terrible last year. I also agree that Dick Jauron is mostly responsible for that because he is the head coach. I am encouraged by what we have seen from Turk this year. I saw good things from him in the Redskins game as well. The use of Hardy as a decoy to open up the underneath stuff. The increased use of TE's in the passing game. The increased use of the RB's in the passing game. When Marshawn lined up as a WR half the defense turned to look at him. Marshawn caught a early pass where he wasn't the dump off guy in the passing game. All of these things were missing last year.

i am excited to see what this offense can do. If the Steeler game is any indication as to what this team is capable of i am pleased.

hey newb.

i didnt say that, 1BillsFan did...i was quoting one of his earlier posts....he didnt have the sack to respond.