Rogers totally screwed the pooch with ticket prices

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered

Rogers could have charged $200-$300 for tickets and sold the dump out. But no, they had to go for the gusto. How did that work out for them? Not only did they have to give away 17,000 tickets, but they now have a lot of pissed off fans who paid full boat for their tickets.

How do they go forward now? Do they reprice their seats and rebate buyers, or do they stick to their guns and have a load of unsold seats?

PTR

There were other problems too. There's too much of a corporate feeling. For example when you see the hotel rooms in the Rogers Centre, and the Hard Rock Cafe covered up with banners so the people in the rooms can't watch the game, it feels kind of stuffy and elitist.

I wondered why those banners were there.

There were other problems too. There's too much of a corporate feeling. For example when you see the hotel rooms in the Rogers Centre, and the Hard Rock Cafe covered up with banners so the people in the rooms can't watch the game, it feels kind of stuffy and elitist.

I wondered why those banners were there.

A little XXX ratedness???????????

Do you think the fact that it was a preseason game had anything to do with it?

Yes that has something to do with it. But remember they were selling 3 and 8 game packages. Those should have sold out if the demand was as huge as they made it out to be. Will 17,000 tickets, at an average price of $400 each, suddenly sell for the Miami game?

I'm not bashing the Toronto series. Like DiCesare in his column today, I feel it's Buffalo's best hope to stay in the NFL. I'm just concerned that Rogers totally whiffed on this. Did they have to charge so much to make this deal work, or did they get carried away by greed?

We really don't want them to fall on their corporate faces. This has to succeed at some level. Otherwise the L.A and San Antonio vultures start circling over OBD.

PTR

I heard that fans were buying tickets that had $500 face value only hours before the game for like $100.

I know the game was new because it was in TO. But still, it is just preseason. Quite frankly I'm surprised people were willing to pay so much for them. The regular season game will be off the hook, though. It's funny how some of the seats to last nights game cost more than a set of seasons to the Ralph. Crazy. The $78 million is guaranteed baby :worthy:.

I cant believe what a bunch of whiny sucks most of you sound like on this board.

Its like you are actually hoping this fails....you knit pick at the smallest items.

Instead of looking at Toronto and Canadian fans as the freaking gift horse we are for the Bills in Buffalo - all you do is think small time and sound self conscious like high school kids.

For heavens sakes, Toronto does not want to take the Bills out of Buffalo.

Toronto is sending you $78M large...for 8 games over 5 years. Frankly - who the hell else would offer you that kind of a deal?

Get over yourselves.

And while im at it - the attitude here towards your fans from north of the border is garbage. The Bills may play in Orchard Park, but living in Buffalo doesnt make a person any more or less important as a fan. I was born and raised just outside Toronto, and have always rooted for the Bills, and they are my team too. Just as much as anyone else. 9-11 came along and all of a sudden there became this awful stigma with being a Canadian in WNY - like we have the plague or something.

So shake yourselves for the love of God. Heavens to Betsy.

Im not even saying you folks need Toronto to keep the Bills- but for goodness sakes it takes all kinds to build a railroad, and having Toronto support certainly doesnt hurt.

Chris

I cant believe what a bunch of whiny sucks most of you sound like on this board.

Its like you are actually hoping this fails....you knit pick at the smallest items.

Instead of looking at Toronto and Canadian fans as the freaking gift horse we are for the Bills in Buffalo - all you do is think small time and sound self conscious like high school kids.

Toronto is sending you $78M large...for 8 games over 5 years. Frankly - who the hell else would offer you that kind of a deal?

Get over yourselves.

And while im at it - the attitude here towards your fans from north of the border is garbage. The Bills may play in Orchard Park, but living in Buffalo doesnt make a person any more or less important as a fan. I was born and raised just outside Toronto, and have always rooted for the Bills, and they are my team too. Just as much as anyone else. 9-11 came along and all of a sudden there became this awful stigma with being a Canadian in WNY - like we have the plague or something.

Im not even saying you folks need Toronto to keep the Bills- but for goodness sakes it takes all kinds to build a railroad, and having Toronto support certainly doesnt hurt.

Chris

Listen, just because the Leafs suck does not mean you have to get angry

Get over yourselves.

Chris

'Red_Tory',

If you think this is nitpicking just read some of the posts about the Bills! Nitpick is some of what people do on this board. It is free speech for the most part so let it fly like you did in your post! Welcome to the big leagues and develop a hard skin! Don't take it personally! Having parents from both sides of the US / Canada border (or Canada / US!), I can vouch for the many critiques lobbed at both nations from both sides of the border! Also, take into account that many fans on this board are from outside the Bflo area (moi - California). Bflo has suffered a lot especially economically. We fear a lot of the bad because that is what has happened to the region in the past and not just sports (Buffalo Braves). As for WNY not appreciating Canadians, it is well known that hordes of Canadians have come into WNY to spend their loonies and twonies as a result of the stronger dollar. It is appreciated. And Canadian support for Bflo hockey and football has a long history. In fact, the old AHL Buffalo Bisons used to play in Fort Erie. The City of Buffalo has a lot of rebuilding to do. This comeback plan does not include losing the Bills. We have already lost enough jobs.

Get over yourselves.

Chris

I don't think rational Bills fans have anything personal against Canadians. That no one can come out and guarantee that upon Mr. Wilson's passing the Bills remain in Buffalo is the point of contention. Ted Rogers' presence is that of an 800 pound gorilla in the room, and he's got the ability to purchase them.

Imagine a major Canadian hockey team being in the same position as the Bills are in now. It's not going to happen, but nevertheless the threat of an American entrepreneur "borrowing" that team for a few regula games would probably not be seen as anything less than a first move toward relocating them. Walk a mile in a Western NY Bills fan before complaining our motive is US versus Canada. It's not, because there's a deeper conflict developing here.

Get over yourselves.

Chris

Tell Us how You REALLY feel... :P

I may be in the minority, but I think You have a point...Maybe it's because I've been displaced for 18 1/2 Years now...But I look at the Toronto thing as - #1- Business...and #2 - Nothing but positive...In My mind it does nothing but help The Bills stay competitive with Franchises that have serious advantages...And it helps keep that Buffalo on the Helmet...

I think there are real Bills Fans in Toronto...Tasker seemed genuinely impressed with the way The Bills were welcomed this week...

I'm a simple, simple Man...I figure with every additional Buffalo Bills Fan added, We improve society...heck the World in a positive manner...I believe that can be proven by simply reading this Forum daily...It's obvious, one thread at a time, We as Bills Fans are changing lives... :lol:

Peace... :worthy:

Haven't posted for a while but felt the need to weigh in. Being a Canadian Bills fan I've been watching these developments with some interest. Here's my opinion:

Toronto sports fans are FICKLE (yes caps). They got on board for the Jays (who I still cheer for although perhaps in vain) as long as they were winning. After the world series wins the fans have been tepid towards the team. If the Yankees or Red Sox are in town they get good crowds. Some might argue that a significant portion of the crowd are Sox and Yanks fans - which seems to be the case based on the cheers - but at least they have bums in seats. If Toronto teams are not contenders the fans stay away... Unless the team in question is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Good god. That team has sucked for what seems like an eternity. That franchise is a license to print money and dominates the press, minds and hearts of Torontonians. I don't think people should be concerned about the Bills moving to Toronto as long as business minds are involved in the decision making process. If governments start chipping in then god help us all. Toronto isn't the the future home of the Bills. Buffalo is. Torontonians do not have the stick-to-it-ive-ness for anything other than hockey.

Just my opinion.. Flame away!

I think TO did a fine job with the game. It was a good crowd, solid support for the Bills and some noise for the Steelers too, whose fans always travel well.

I don't blame any Canadian fan who wasn't fooled by the "shiney NFL" and refused to shell out big bucks for an exhibition game. I would've told Rogers to shove it up his ass. Charging $70 for preseason games, where the product is a shell of the actual regular season event, is criminal. I don't even have a word for what charging $250 is.

I hope the Toronto experiment is a raging success, and the Bills become the team of choice in Canada. The Red Tory made a good point in his post that he's been a Bills fan his whole life, the team is not more "mine" than it is "his." We are in this together as Bills fans. Let's hope for another 50 years in Buffalo, an undefeated record in Toronto, and millions of fans in between.

Guest dog14787

Get over yourselves.

Chris

We have Bills fans all over the world. I was born in Buffalo and yet I still look at each and every Bills fan as an equal. I for one have a great fondness for Canada and the canadian people so get over yourselves also,

We are all brothers and sisters here :worthy: