Comment on turf

BuffaloBud

Caught just a snippet of the game on the Sirius b'cast. Buffalo on-field reporter (name = ?, sorry) commented that the turf is very compacted and hard, like the old turf at The Ralph.

Just wondering if Toronto will be updating this in the future and (knock on wood) if that there will be no major injuries on this stuff.

It reminded me of the old floor for the Boston Celtics.

Looked like they just put down a bunch of squares of turf together....

I wonder what the players will be saying about it. They can't be seamless can they? I was hoping no one would get hurt because of it. My fear was a blown knee by Beast mode....hopefully it will be ok.

From the Rogers Centre FAQ section on their website

Why doesn’t Rogers Centre have a natural grass field?

To maintain the ability to transform quickly and efficiently to accommodate a number of events, Rogers Centre makes use of a synthetic playing surface for baseball, football, soccer and other sporting events. The surface, made to look, feel and play like natural grass is called FieldTurf. It is made by a Canadian company based in Montreal.

http://www.fieldturf.com/ - The company's website

A few teams in the NFL use it. NE, SD, Indy, Atlanta, Jets/Giants

EDIT, if youscroe over the teams in Football that use it, it looks like 1/3 to 1/2 the league uses it, and compare it to real grass when they get used to it

Natural Grass is still the best if it can be kept pristine throughout the year but Field Turf is superior to Astroturf or its new incarnation astroplay which I think Ralph uses. I wonder if there were any quotes about the field from the players?

"EDIT": Looks like Ben Rothlisberger agrees with the OP. Rothisberger on Toronto;"It's awesome," Roethlisberger said of his Toronto experience. "The stadium is awesome. The turf leaves a lot to be desired, but to be up here with the fans has been awesome."

Take it for what you will but I read a quote where Roethlisberger was complaining about the quality of the turf. This was within the same article where a Steeler safety was complaining that the Bills gameplanned for the game. Sounds like they are full of excuses already.

So Big Ben would rather play in the bog that Heinz Field turns into halfway through the season? I seem to remember that two of his teammates suffered season-ending injuries in that Monday Night game against Miami ...

(To the RC: as previously noted, if it's Fieldturf, it's decent stuff.)

(To the RC: as previously noted, if it's Fieldturf, it's decent stuff.)

Then again, perhaps the installation wasn't quite what the other NFL stadiums that have FieldTurf surfaces use, vis-a-vis underlayments/padding. A field that was planned mostly for baseball use may have leaned the design toward that purpose rather than for a game where people are being pounded to said turf. It may be post-game grumbling, it may be a legitimate criticism. But regardless of the surface, everyone's playing on the same field.

Then again, perhaps the installation wasn't quite what the other NFL stadiums that have FieldTurf surfaces use, vis-a-vis underlayments/padding. A field that was planned mostly for baseball use may have leaned the design toward that purpose rather than for a game where people are being pounded to said turf. It may be post-game grumbling, it may be a legitimate criticism. But regardless of the surface, everyone's playing on the same field.

True, that. I don't recall the CFL players kvetching about it when they played the Grey Cup there ... last year, was it? Still, I'll check that out when I have a chance.