Mcnabb or Moon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a six packs of beer inspired this discussion.......

Tale of the Tape

Arm Strength McNabb

QB IQ Moon

Scramble McNabb

Team Leader Moon

X Factor Moon

2 Minute Drill McNabb

Fantasy Value McNabb

My choice is......McNabb

McNabb was a better endzone dancer as well. Moon was the better QB.

I would say 5 of the best not to win the big one are:

Marino :)

Kelly

Moon

Tarkenton

Fouts

the last two I can't say that I saw on anything besides NFL network/ESPN Classic replays, so i am gauging them 2 more on reputation and stats.

I always felt Fouts was one of the more underrated QBs. A QBs QB. This guy could sling it. Another fun QB to watch. Yes, he had talent around, no question, but man could he throw.

I like Warren Moon. I was kind of surprised that he made the HOF so quickly. Not because I don't think he belongs (he certainly has the stats), but it seemed like he got in very quick, for a guy who played in a gimmick offense, and never won a damn thing. You gotta think, given the criteria that Moon in, Drew Bledsoe is not such a joke to make the Hall.

So, my question, assuming McNabb plays another 2 or 3 years, and never wins a Super Bowl, does he belong in the HOF? He takes a lot of knocks, but has been one of the more successful QB's (or at least the QB on some successful teams) over the last 10 years.

Moon got in more as a political statement than anything else. Bledsoe can't play the "they didn't want me because... card" The irony is that Moon's contention that the NFL didn't want him because he is black and that's why he went to the CFL, before the NFL draft, is bs because the same year he came out of college Doug Williams was drafted in the 1st round by Tampa Bay. Moon just didn't have the guts to prove himself in an NFL camp, which he would have done if he hadn't fled the country and became an NFL Draft Dodger. Similar to his gutless wife beating.

Whatchu smokin' man? McNAbb has had flashes of greatness but nothing more. He'll go down as one of the better QBs of his era but not even a great QB in his own era. In the short pass WCO, his 58% completion percentage is not impressive. He's got no reputation as a clutch or 2 minute drill guy. He can't wash Kelly's balls. And he certainly can't even come close to carrying Moon's jock.

The only thing I'm smoking is the truth. :) Here's a great site. The two most important categories I look for in a QB is td to int ratio and win-loss record

Jim Kelly (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm)

td to int ratio: 237 to 175 (1.4) and a win loss record of 101-59

Warren Moon (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoonWa00.htm)

td to int ratio: 291 to 233 (1.2) and win loss 102-101.

Donovan McNabb (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm)

td to int: 171 to 79 (2.2) and win loss of 73-39

Add to that, McNabb has 24 rushing tds to Kelly's 7 and Moon's 22 (in 17 years). Just like us Bills' fans tend to overrate Kelly (great leader, best Bills' QB ever, HOFer but not an all time great QB), people really tend to underrate McNabb. I think if he played in an offense like the run and shoot or with 3 HOFers like Moon and Kelly, he would have video game #s. He is really good.

Moon got in more as a political statement than anything else. Bledsoe can't play the "they didn't want me because... card" The irony is that Moon's contention that the NFL didn't want him because he is black and that's why he went to the CFL, before the NFL draft, is bs because the same year he came out of college Doug Williams was drafted in the 1st round by Tampa Bay. Moon just didn't have the guts to prove himself in an NFL camp, which he would have done if he hadn't fled the country and became an NFL Draft Dodger. Similar to his gutless wife beating.

I undertand (and I agree) with your point, but the HOF voters are never going to come out and say Moon got in on the first vote, because he is black. And since they won't, it legitimizes the argument that "good" QB's (not necessarily great) like Bledsoe, Testeverde and Kerry Collins will one day belong there, because Moon is there.

I will say though, just because the Bucs drafted Doug Williams, that doesn't necessarily mean that Moon wasn't shut out, because of the color of his skin. The NFL had a well established prejudice toward black QB's, until the 1990's. There were other black QB's before Williams. If not for an injury, we likely wouldn't even remember Williams. Maybe the Bucs were willing to "take a chance", but, that doesn't mean the other 27 teams were.