Break down Trent's throws.

Heitz

Since there's a big debate on Trent's performance, I'm wondering what everyone saw in his 5 throw attempts that made them feel good / bad?

Here's what I saw on the passes:

1: Beautiful first down conversion on third down, put the ball where only Parrish could get it

2: Throw to Schouman in the end zone, looked like clear pass interference to me, Schouman was picked and knocked off his route, which would have put him right where the ball was thrown to (has anyone else watched this play again?). Doesn't really matter, it wasn't called that way, incomplete pass

3: Looks like Hardy ran the wrong route (that's how they called it on tv). Regardless, clear miscommunication, incomplete pass

4: Through Schouman's hands, would have only been for a couple yards. Dropped, incomplete

5: Batted down at the los, this happens to the best of 'em, just ask Flutie. Incomplete.

I'm just not sure how people are judging Edwards off of that limited amount of playing time. And for the record I'm glad that Losman had a solid game! We're going to need both of these guys this season...

The thing that's more of a concern to me is that the O doesn't have all of the shifts and movements and positions down. This is the first pre-season game, let's hope they can go back and correct the mistakes and clear up the confusion before the season starts.

Thanks for the breakdown....

The answer is....you CANT evaluate TE on this performance.....5 passes is not enough to get a rythum going.....

- Passes were dropped

- A pass was batted down....it is the OL's job to get the DL's hands down

- Was there also not a false start by Chambers as well?

In such limited time you cannot evaluate.

There is no way Trent should have thrown the Shouman pass. It wasn't pass interference, Shouman and the Redskin LB (53) both had their hands on each other all the way from the seven yard line to the goalline, then Shouman pushed off. He actually hit the safety Springs as Springs was double covering and coming up for the ball, then Springs pushed off and missed it. It wasn't offensive interference either. It was just a bad decision by Trent. Shouman had two guys on him within one yard when Trent let the ball go.

I don't care who the QB is at this point. Without Josh Reed and possibly another trusted veteran that can be in the right place all of the time, this offense is going to struggle.

The entire first team offense looked very "forced" running each play. You could tell certain guys were thinking and not playing.

Our TE's are still average on a great day.

The OL was blah on running and decent in passing

I trust Edwards 100% in running this team and in his ability. I think the Bills made a mistake by not getting him a target that could step in day 1 and be reliable. Hardy did pretty much what was expected on my end...made a catch running in a straight line and made noticable mistakes on 5 other plays. If Reed is hurt for any prolonged time, we are in trouble. Reed by far has the best chemistry with Edwards and is almost always where he should be, even when run blocking.

I don't care who the QB is at this point. Without Josh Reed and possibly another trusted veteran that can be in the right place all of the time, this offense is going to struggle.

The entire first team offense looked very "forced" running each play. You could tell certain guys were thinking and not playing.

Our TE's are still average on a great day.

The OL was blah on running and decent in passing

I trust Edwards 100% in running this team and in his ability. I think the Bills made a mistake by not getting him a target that could step in day 1 and be reliable. Hardy did pretty much what was expected on my end...made a catch running in a straight line and made noticable mistakes on 5 other plays. If Reed is hurt for any prolonged time, we are in trouble. Reed by far has the best chemistry with Edwards and is almost always where he should be, even when run blocking.

Chris Brown implied before the game that Hardy was going to start even if Reed was healthy. It's possible that this was only to get Hardy some time with Edwards because TE was only expected to play 10-20 plays, but I wouldn't doubt at all if Hardy starts the season as the #2. He is surely not ready or polished, but that TD play was not at all just "a catch running in a straight line". It was the reason they drafted him and he did it in the first half of his first game. That was a spectacular play, IMO. Evans can be both the possession guy and the speed guy for awhile. Hardy IMO needs to play. I still think Reed is a solid player, and will see significant action, even sometimes on the first team with only two WR, but I think Hardy may start sooner than later.

Since there's a big debate on Trent's performance, I'm wondering what everyone saw in his 5 throw attempts that made them feel good / bad?

1: Beautiful first down conversion on third down, put the ball where only Parrish could get it

2: Throw to Schouman in the end zone, looked like clear pass interference to me, Schouman was picked and knocked off his route, which would have put him right where the ball was thrown to (has anyone else watched this play again?). Doesn't really matter, it wasn't called that way, incomplete pass

3: Looks like Hardy ran the wrong route (that's how they called it on tv). Regardless, clear miscommunication, incomplete pass

4: Through Schouman's hands, would have only been for a couple yards. Dropped, incomplete

5: Batted down at the los, this happens to the best of 'em, just ask Flutie. Incomplete.

I'm just not sure how people are judging Edwards off of that limited amount of playing time. And for the record I'm glad that Losman had a solid game! We're going to need both of these guys this season...

The thing that's more of a concern to me is that the O doesn't have all of the shifts and movements and positions down. This is the first pre-season game, let's hope they can go back and correct the mistakes and clear up the confusion before the season starts.

I'm the biggest JP fan here but in all fairness he didn't play against starters on D. The fact that we didn't have much a running game speaks volumes bout the line and RB's. The QB should not be the one to carry the load.

We can't keep settling for FG's or we'll be hard pressed to win 7 games again. On that pass attempt, it was Hardy's fault for not making the right read, Trent can't be blamed.

Kelly: that's why I believe we need to incorporate Roscoe more into the offense. A rookie at WR is going to struggle all year and can't be relied on in the clutch. Parrish hasn't been given a fair chance yet.

Kelly: that's why I believe we need to incorporate Roscoe more into the offense. A rookie at WR is going to struggle all year and can't be relied on in the clutch. Parrish hasn't been given a fair chance yet.

I think Parrish is going to be used a lot, and will be very effective. I would predict he has the second most receptions on the team unless Shonert gets smart and throws to Marshawn a lot. Roscoe had a lot of patterns called for him yesterday.

Really? Really? We're going to individually breakdown ALL 5 of his throws and expect to get a reading on his entire progression so far and an outlook of things to come? Ughh

It's the first game of live football against another team in 6 months, without a trusted veteran wide receiver (who it sounded like from the tc reports was having a good chem with TE), his trusted backside protection in Peters, and a rookie receiver just trying to get on the same wavelength as he is...c'mon boys. Just take a deep breath and relax. :thumbsup: He'll be fine during the reg season...just have faith and a lil more patience.

Sounds more like an apology fro trent than a breakdown of "HIS" throws.

From where I was sitting he looked uncomfortable and unsure... typical deer in headlight syndrome.

The more disappointing observtion was that he was typical Trent... dumping off to the nearest receiver to him. No attack down fileld. He hasn't demonsrated that he's gone from pampered rookie to the next step. On the other hand... JP comes in and with a flick of his wrist goes down the field 25 yards.

I thought the Bills had something with Edwards... but now, I aint sure. Where the hell was this down field attacking offense I've heard that was supposed to be coming. Don't look like it's gonna happen with Trent.

There were 2 throws form Trent that i cared about last night.

Throw #1 to Roscoe was a beautiful pass with great velocity and in a great spot.

Throw #2 was absolute garbage. It was a poor pass, and an even worse decision. There wasnt "pass interference", and that ball would not have been "right there." Stupid pass, stupid decision. Lets hope thats the first and last time he makes that decision.

There's lots I agree with in this thread...

For the record I wasn't trying to praise or bash Trent, just wondering what some people saw that swayed them in one way or another. To me we still need to see a lot more of this O before I pass judgment.

I was at the game surrounded by Redsuck fans and the comments after the Shouman pass was they got away with something one even very vocally declaring Zebras need their preseason warm ups too.

Now opinions from fans are just like fans on bulletin boards except they are in person not reading a review or a infantile blog hence are usually better informed.

I was at the game surrounded by Redsuck fans and the comments after the Shouman pass was they got away with something one even very vocally declaring Zebras need their preseason warm ups too.

Now opinions from fans are just like fans on bulletin boards except they are in person not reading a review or a infantile blog hence are usually better informed.

Having had the benefit of watching that pass in crystal clear high definition from above and behind Trent Edwards, I can say without a doubt that with or without the alleged pass interference and/or incorrect route running, the most fundamental problem with that pass was the decision to throw to a receiver who was blanketed by double coverage from the instance the play started.

I think the only thing that stood out to me during this game is that the O-line was dominated.It's the first pre season game with players playing in positions that they need more time to learn.We had zero run game and it didn't matter if it was the 1st or the 3rd string.

Leave the QBs out of it.The problem was our O-line.You can't expect a defense to back off and respect the pass if it knows you can't run.We need to get the line that is going to start the season back together.And until Peters decides to get back we may struggle like this until he does.

Having had the benefit of watching that pass in crystal clear high definition from above and behind Trent Edwards, I can say without a doubt that with or without the alleged pass interference and/or incorrect route running, the most fundamental problem with that pass was the decision to throw to a receiver who was blanketed by double coverage from the instance the play started.

I am a Trent supporter and I agree 100% with this assessment.

You ALL are silly if you think you can judge Trent on his first preseason work against another team......seriously GET REAL people!

I am the only one who dreads watching our starters play and love watching our 3rd stringers play! I just cringe when I see our guys get tackled in a meaningless game. But when those others get in, its balls to the wall.

One thing is for sure, our backups look tough considering most of them seen A LOT of playing time last year.

There is no way Trent should have thrown the Shouman pass. It wasn't pass interference, Shouman and the Redskin LB (53) both had their hands on each other all the way from the seven yard line to the goalline, then Shouman pushed off. He actually hit the safety Springs as Springs was double covering and coming up for the ball, then Springs pushed off and missed it. It wasn't offensive interference either. It was just a bad decision by Trent. Shouman had two guys on him within one yard when Trent let the ball go.

Agreed. Not what you want to see in the red zone from your starter. Obviously, you can't judge him on such a limited appearance. Barring something drastic, he is the starter this year. However, for its limited worth, the truth is that JP played better than Trent last night. Doesn't mean a heck of a lot but there it is.